Author Topic: Can't obtain IP Address on Dlink WIFI Dongle  (Read 1004 times)

January 13, 2012, 03:06:40 PM
Read 1004 times

nrengle

Ok so I followed the instructions on this thread here:  http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=6842.0

USB stick is loaded up as it should be, setup the correct SSID and password, no IP.  Changed my network to "test" and no password, change that on the USB stick, still same thing.  I'm using the DWA-140 revision B2.  My WDTV (Gen1) seems to see it, as it's orange status light is constantly flashing.  I'm at a loss right now, I've gone over the WDLXTV wiki and the forum, and even B-rad's site to no avail.  Anyone else got a working Gen1 with a DWA-140 Revision B2 that they could send me a copy of their files, and I'll give it a shot?

Thanks

January 14, 2012, 05:25:10 AM
Reply #1

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

I used that exact tutorial and the hardest part of it is finding the right driver for your adapter.
I must have downloaded and tried at least 30 of them.

just because the LED is on and flashing only means it has power, not necessarily a connection.

best way to test is to turn off all security on your wireless network, get the WDTV working and then enable security and go from there.
or just use MAC filtering if want.

oh and on your USB stick, if you gave it a name and that name has a space in it, nothing will load, that's a known bug.
alphanumeric only is the best bet, no spaces at all.

edit
once you get it going I would recommend you go to one of these pages and generate a HEX hash of your passphrase so nobdy can easily copy it in plain text.
Code: [Select]
http://www.wireshark.org/tools/wpa-psk.html
or
http://jorisvr.nl/wpapsk.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:34:10 AM by Rev Drew »
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

January 14, 2012, 08:47:47 AM
Reply #2

nrengle

Rev

Thanks, already turned all wifi security off, and made the network name test instead of it's normal.  No change.  My USB stick is called WDBOOT.  It was Fat32 out of the box, so never reformatted it.  The WDLXTV firmware flash takes no problem.  At first I wasn't even getting power to the WIFI Dongle, but after some tinkering (apparently I copied both of the driver app.bin files over for the WIFI), I got it to start giving the dongle power, but nothing more.  Definitely perplexed at this point. 

And no worries on the WIFI password, SSID doesn't broadcast when I'm running normal, and is also locked with WPAPSK and MAC filtering.  Plus if they can actually get in my house to get the USB stick and copy my wifi password I think I've got bigger problems hahaha.

January 22, 2012, 11:17:48 PM
Reply #3

xwishmasterx

Hello
Let me know if you still need help.

I have the same wifi dongle, and have it working (setup to NAS).
You can email me at hr.casperchristensen at gmail.com

I'd be happy to give you a copy of my files / setup.