Author Topic: Anyone switched to a XBMC media player?  (Read 2821 times)

January 04, 2012, 08:45:49 AM
Read 2821 times

schnoid

Hi all, I've been using WDTV Live for many years now and have been holding out for quite awhile for new firmwares with no luck. Seems like the few times firmwares have come out, WD have managed to remove functionality that I previously enjoyed. One of the main things that I loved about my WDTV Live and that I no longer get is the ability to see my thumbnail images on my network drives if the image is not named folder.jpg. I really don't want to go through 1000+ movies and rename every single thumbnail to folder.jpg. When I first got the device I could name the image the same as the movie name and it would pick it up as the thumbnail. Once I upgraded to Windows 7 I had to upgrade my firmware and then lost this functionality. From what I hear XBMC does everything I'd like and more but my issue is that I can't seem to find a cheap set top box with xbmc on it. I guess I could get an old Apple TV but not sure how well that will handle streaming large 1080p MKV x264 files off a network drive.

The functionality I would like my new media streamer to have is:

1) stream mkv (x264), iso dvds, divx, xvid, etc flawlessly over the network (movies are all stored on external drives connected to my desktop)
2) hdmi connection (1.4 would be great, but not necessary)
3) remote (RF capability natively would be nice)
4) nice interface to display all my movies by thumbnail image. Each thumbnail named the same as the movie name (with the jpg extension)
5) nice FF/RW controls. Little to no lag.
6) can handle all kinds of audio formats (DTS, HD, etc)
7) imdb lookup would be nice
8) youtube would nice

January 04, 2012, 09:00:58 AM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

You are describing the WDTV with custom firmware.  As for the renaming of 1000+ thumbs to folder.jpg, bulk rename utility does that in a few clicks and in seconds.....and it is free.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

January 15, 2012, 11:35:02 AM
Reply #2

schnoid

You are describing the WDTV with custom firmware.  As for the renaming of 1000+ thumbs to folder.jpg, bulk rename utility does that in a few clicks and in seconds.....and it is free.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

hey rav, thanks for the response! I really didn't want to rename all my cover art to folder.jpg, but I'm gonna give in and do it if it's really as easy as using this util. I downloaded it, but I couldn't figure out how to make it go into every directory and make a copy of the image to folder.jpg

January 15, 2012, 02:11:36 PM
Reply #3

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Bottom left where it says Selections (12), enter *.jpg, next, still within that section, enable the sub-folder search.  You can even enter min and max length for the name of the file.

WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

January 15, 2012, 02:43:34 PM
Reply #4

schnoid

thanks for the help! I also realized I needed to put "folder" into the File (2) section. What I haven't been able to do is have the file copy instead of move.

January 15, 2012, 05:38:39 PM
Reply #5

RavRob

• DeSpammer

How about the "New Location (13)"?
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

January 15, 2012, 06:52:59 PM
Reply #6

schnoid

tried that, but it didn't work.

January 15, 2012, 07:14:46 PM
Reply #7

RavRob

• DeSpammer

I guess I am not sure what you mean by "copy instead of move".
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

January 15, 2012, 07:34:42 PM
Reply #8

schnoid

originally I wanted to make a copy of the image instead of changing the name to folder.jpg so I could eventually just delete all the folder.jpg images. I guess if I can't figure it out, it's no big deal.

February 06, 2012, 08:06:53 AM
Reply #9

schnoid

thanks again Rav. I finally got around to using the bulk rename utility this weekend and got all my thumbnails renamed to folder.jpg. My collection looks nice and organized again. Still would be nice if WD would finally upgrade the firmware for us old school WDTV Live users, but for now it'll work.