Author Topic: New WDTV Live Streaming Media Player  (Read 7241 times)

December 28, 2011, 10:11:41 PM
Read 7241 times

ciggggg

Hi guys!

I got given a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (WDBGXT0000NBK) for Christmas.. what I wanted to know was. Is it possible to get custom firmware for this? I saw all the movie sheets and stuff and would love to have all my movies organised and displayed like that.. is it impossible for this device? should i sell it and get an older version?. I havent been able to find much info in regards to this model and custom firmware. Ive downloaded thumbgen. but i suppose theres not much point if theres nothing i can do .

Thanks

Craig

December 28, 2011, 11:08:16 PM
Reply #1

ciggggg

hey guys sorry i just found out the answer.. that it will "probably never happen for this model" as its encrypted or something.. sorry for being a time waster haha.. looks like ill just have to return it and go online and buy a different model.. thanks  :)

December 29, 2011, 05:20:35 AM
Reply #2

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Still a nice Christmas present.... but you are right, there are no custom firmware and likely never will be available for this model.  The best models are the Live and the Live Plus for custom firmware.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

December 29, 2011, 06:29:57 AM
Reply #3

Dangermouse

I have also just bought one of these, so there is no way of getting nice move backgrounds and synopsis?
I don't mind spending the time setting them up but I have no idea how to do it.
I had the older WDTV model and just had to name the image file the same as the movie file and call an image "folder.jpg" etc for a folder image, is there a guide on how to do this for this model?

The model I have is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B005NYOKC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325168965&sr=8-2

December 29, 2011, 07:03:15 AM
Reply #4

RavRob

• DeSpammer

No custom firmware for those.  They are very new and not much info on them but I hear they do a pretty good job at scaping some info for the movies.  Don't quote me though....as I said, they are very new and I don't know much about them.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

December 29, 2011, 07:28:06 AM
Reply #5

Dangermouse

Yeah, I'm struggling to get any info on them, I thought this would be the best place  :)

I have the latest official firmware installed.

What do you mean by movie scraping? I have noticed that if I have no images for files that it tries to get a close match, some are correct, and they are shown.

I'd really like proper background and text if possible, wondered if anyone has this for films and TV shows/episodes for this player.

December 29, 2011, 08:04:22 AM
Reply #6

RavRob

• DeSpammer

You won't get any of that with the streamer.  Only the scraping as you see.  Certainly nowhere near as good as the proper moviesheets generated by ThumbGen.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

December 29, 2011, 09:25:10 AM
Reply #7

Dangermouse

Oh well, hopefully as it's new somebody will be able to "hack" it soon and other firmware can help achieve this.

Very poor that it can't handle it though, you would have thought they would add that as it's a new product.

I am disappoint.

December 29, 2011, 11:41:33 AM
Reply #8

Dangermouse

Download this free software people, point it at your drives, select the films/shows and all the info goodness will be created.

WDTVHubGen

December 29, 2011, 01:40:40 PM
Reply #9

RavRob

• DeSpammer

WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

December 31, 2011, 10:30:36 PM
Reply #10

franks

• DeSpammer

January 09, 2012, 08:22:37 AM
Reply #11

FunnyT

I just got  a WD tv live streaming media player and i just found out that the one i got cant get costem firmware but then i start to read at WD home page and found this GPL code. and now dos this mean that some one can make a new firmware or what? ill love to test new firmware.

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player GPL Code

Version: 1.05.18, 1.04.12, 1.03.10
    Publish Date: 12/20/2011(1.05.18), 11/17/2011(1.04.12), 10/6/2011(1.03.10)

Important! If a pop-up blocker is installed, you may need to disable it in order to download the software.
Modification of or tampering with the Software, including but not limited to any Open Source Software, is solely at Your own risk. Western Digital is not responsible for any such modification or tampering. Western Digital will not support any product in which You have or have attempted to modify the Software supplied by Western Digital.
Files available for download
File Name   For Firmware Version(s)   File Size   
WDTV_LiveStreaming_GPL_Code_package_1.05.18.zip   1.05.18   843 MB   
WDTV_LiveStreaming_GPL_Code_package_1.04.12.zip   1.04.12   760 MB   
WDTV_LiveStreaming_GPL_Code_package_1.03.10.zip   1.03.10   757 MB   
GPL_toolchain_of_WDTV.zip       393 MB   
Description

The zipped file contains the source code for third party copyrighted software licensed under the GNU General Public License ("GPL"), which software may be used in WD TV Live Streaming Media Player. A copy of the GPL may be found below or at http://www.gnu.org/.
Supported Operating Systems

N/A

Instructions

Download the .zip file.
    Extract the GPL source code from the .zip file.
    Extract and Install the "Launcher" firmware onto the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player. This launcher firmware is a bridge to allow you to load the modified GPL firmware.
    Put the "Launcher" firmware (wdtvlivehub.bin, wdtvlivehub.ver and wdtvlivehub.fff) onto a USB drive and perform the firmware upgrade.
    After you have finished the upgrade for the "Launcher" firmware, you will be given two choices: "Official" and "GPL". Select "Official" to upgrade WDTV Official Firmware or select "GPL" to upgrade GPL/Modified Firmware.
    Put Official or GPL Firmware onto the USB drive and plug it into the product.
    Press the "OK" button to upgrade the firmware or press the "HOME" button to cancel the upgrade process.
    If the firmware version is not greater than your current version (.ver file), the system will not detect the new firmware.
    Select "Yes" to proceed to next step, otherwise select "No".
    If you upgrade to the GPL Firmware, a "Warning" message will appear. Please read it carefully and recognize the risks before you proceed to next step.
    If you are sure you want to upgrade the GPL Firmware, press "OK" and the upgrade process will begin shortly. Otherwise, press "Cancel".

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1011&sid=161&lang=en