Author Topic: Video Quality - horizontal lines  (Read 2853 times)

April 02, 2009, 10:28:14 AM
Read 2853 times

Obscura

The video from my WDTV has been awful.  Every minute or so a broken, white, horizontal line shoots across the picture in various different locations.  Doesn't seem to matter what kind of video is playing and it shows up in the menus.

I tried swapping cables, didn't help.  I'm going back for an exchange now.  Hope it's a bad unit and not bigger problems with my system.

I called my brother, he says his picture has been flawless.  Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Obscura

April 02, 2009, 11:48:32 AM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
If you are testing different files than your unit is most likely defective. 
I have watched over 600 movies and tv shows through mine and have a perfect picture. 
On my 120" TV   :)

Try another unit!
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 02, 2009, 01:55:45 PM
Reply #2

Obscura

WorstBuy swapped it out, no questions asked.  I'll test the new unit tonight.  Still very excited about WDTV.

120", is that Front projection?    Ours is 96", the largest our room would allow.   

Thanks!
Obscura

April 02, 2009, 02:01:40 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
WorstBuy swapped it out, no questions asked.  I'll test the new unit tonight.  Still very excited about WDTV.

120", is that Front projection?    Ours is 96", the largest our room would allow.   

Thanks!
Obscura

96" is a great size.   Yes it is a CRT front projector.   I love the quality :)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 02, 2009, 08:41:29 PM
Reply #4

Obscura

Tested the replacement unit and the problem is even worse.  Tomorrow I'll swap HDMI ports with the DVR to determine if it's a problem with the WDTV or my receiver.  (had better be the WDTV because I don't even want to deal with returning the receiver.)

April 03, 2009, 09:18:18 AM
Reply #5

Obscura

This morning I swapped the HDMI cables to see if it might be a problem with the receiver.  Nope.  The DVR plays great in all ports and the WDTV is bad in all.

I'm going to exchange it one more time.  This time I'll go to a different WorstBuy in hopes of getting a unit from farther away in the production run.

If the third one doesn't work I'll get my money back and wait for the next generation WDTV. 

-Obscura

April 04, 2009, 08:59:42 PM
Reply #6

Obscura

Still having problems.  I found some other people with the same problem and one reported that a different cable worked for him. http://tinyurl.com/dztypr

I'll buy a different cable tomorrow.