Author Topic: Did My Media Player Just Die???  (Read 2403 times)

November 26, 2011, 09:58:43 PM
Read 2403 times

saucy6969

Hi there, have had my first generation WD Media Player now for 2.5 years and suddenly today, something's amiss. Worked fine last night. Today the movies are stuttering through half the film, I unplugged my external harddrive to add some movies and then plugged it back in...absolutely nothing. "Storage Not Present" is there, it wont read the harddrive, wont reboot itself with the little round hold on the left, did a factory restore and all the same settings are present currently. Did my media player box just die?? I can plug my external harddrive into a computer and it works fine thats why i am guessing its the media box...help!!! any solutions ???

November 27, 2011, 06:24:54 AM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Just grabbing at straws here but maybe your HDD is corrupt in someway.  Try a different HDD or even a ThumbDrive see if that gets picked up by the WDTV...but to tell the truth, I have no idea and you may be right, it may have died.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

November 27, 2011, 07:48:55 AM
Reply #2

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

the hole in the side is a reset button, not a reboot button.
I would say pull the power cord out of the player for a few minutes, then reapply power and let it boot up and try again.
depending on the film, there could be stuttering, take avatar for example, my WDTV Gen1 wont play it as the bitrate is to high, my live and live plus play it fine though.

the Gen1 is an older player now and unfortunately you will likely find more and more files it can't play as bitrates get higher.

a good test would be a 720p TV show, they should play perfectly fine.

also when removing any drive, make sure you properly eject it first, unplugging it without ejecting it can cause data corruption or other undesirable effects.
hook it up to a computer, check the drive and delete the .wd_tv folder

good luck, keep us posted.
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

November 27, 2011, 11:02:38 PM
Reply #3

saucy6969

tried the powercords, tried the reset button again, have ejected properly from computer to plug into media player, deleted the .wd_tv folder and nothing. it wont read the harddrive anymore. I plugged in a usb stick into both USB ports and it recognized it. Harddrive issue??

November 27, 2011, 11:56:03 PM
Reply #4

saucy6969

just did some more detective work....plugged the external harddrive into my computer and the files (in all formats) ran perfectly fine.
tried the side button again for a reset...nothing. seems like the harddrive and the media player dont want to talk to each other anymore?!

November 28, 2011, 03:10:35 AM
Reply #5

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Don't just try and read the hard drive with the PC, run chkdsk /f on the drive to fix any issues you may have with the drive.  The Thumb Drive running tells me it is a HDD issue.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

December 01, 2011, 04:03:54 PM
Reply #6

saucy6969

@RavRob...that suggestion is a winner! Works like a charm after finding issues and quarantining them!
yeah! thank you so much! ;D

December 01, 2011, 07:20:04 PM
Reply #7

RavRob

• DeSpammer

WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router