Author Topic: Optical Toslink audio  (Read 6017 times)

April 02, 2009, 03:44:26 AM
Read 6017 times

andy13870

I've just got rid of the RCA audio cables and replaced them with a fibre optic (Toslink) cable running into a 400 Yamaha RX-V757 amp.

A HUGE improvement in sound quality - fuller, louder, bassier - can feel the sofa vibrate when I crank up the volume!

To be expected, I guess, as the amp is now doing the digital to analogue converting and not the WDTV - but it did make a big difference.

Just one thing - the cable does not seem to be very securely fixed into the back of the WDTV. Loads of play, and pops out whenever I move the unit. Is this normal?

Andy

April 02, 2009, 11:51:32 AM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Toslink kicks ass! 

It is the only way to go for me.  I just double checked, and my cheap $5 eBay cable is locked into the back very secure. 

The port is an industry standard so you may have a bad tab on your cable. 

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 02, 2009, 12:23:19 PM
Reply #2

andy13870

OK, thanks - I'll check with another cable.

April 07, 2009, 12:50:06 AM
Reply #3

chrisnes

Just one thing - the cable does not seem to be very securely fixed into the back of the WDTV. Loads of play, and pops out whenever I move the unit. Is this normal?

In case you're not aware: Make sure you've removed the plastic/rubber "cap" covering the pin at the end of the cable. BTDT :)

April 07, 2009, 12:55:03 AM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

In case you're not aware: Make sure you've removed the plastic/rubber "cap" covering the pin at the end of the cable. BTDT :)

YES !!! That is a very common problem.  I have heard that many times :)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 07, 2009, 01:07:42 AM
Reply #5

andy13870

Yes - I had realised that!

Checked with another cable (admittedly the same type as the first one) and it still doesn't seem to fit securely in. On the amp, there is a small 'click' when I insert the cable, but not with the WDTV.

April 15, 2009, 09:24:59 AM
Reply #6

Pennhaven

Checked with another cable (admittedly the same type as the first one) and it still doesn't seem to fit securely in. On the amp, there is a small 'click' when I insert the cable, but not with the WDTV.

I bought a new (inexpensive!) toslink cable when I bought my WDTV. It too fits very loosely in the WDTV's port. So loosely that it was always falling out! I asked the vendor to replace the cable. While I am waiting for the replacement I wrapped two turns of teflon plumbers tape around the connector tip. That's enough to hold it in place. (I had to trim the tape with a scissors. Off the roll, it's much wider than the connector tip.)

I have an older more expensive toslink cable that fits securely in the WDTV. Unfortunately It's just too short for the run to my receiver. I think there are some low cost manufacturers out there simply not making these cables to spec.

April 20, 2009, 09:39:54 AM
Reply #7

psycho paul

Yeah, the toslink to receiver connection on this thing made me a total convert to flac audio rips in about 24 hours but remember that one drawback with toslink is that it won't do lossless dts/other hd audio. you need to do hdmi passthrough from tv to receiver hdmi input to get that hd sound in lossless format, though i can't really think off the top of my head where you'd run into that format with something like this since it's primarily gonna be found on retail bluray which this thing obv don't play.

July 29, 2009, 10:35:42 PM
Reply #8

drada

Originally I bought a cheaper ($40 AUS) DS optical cable and the thing got stuck in the wdtv optical outlet!
I had to pry it out with tweezers.

For everyone not sure about the optical connecting properly to the wdtv, or if its lose, buy a good quality cable.
I upgraded it to a belkin optical cable. Its well made. I'm always taking the optical cable in and out as I move the wdtv from different rooms.

September 02, 2009, 10:58:43 AM
Reply #9

Rick76

Personally, I think it's a bad design on WD's part. I had to completely remove the spring-loaded "door" on the optical port just to get my cable to go more than a 1/4 of the way in. And even still, it will not "click" in to seat properly. While the other end fits perfectly into my Denon receiver. It has more to do with the large diameter that you grab onto to push it into the port than it does the technical specs or "insides" of the cable. This is something that is not "governed" by the standards organization. WD should make the diameter larger, the shoulder shallower and remove the "trap door". ;)

December 24, 2009, 10:02:47 PM
Reply #10

hiflyerx

I found that if I seated the toslink cable right into the WDTV Live, and then gently pulled it out a touch with almost no force, it seated better & got rid on teh pops :)