Author Topic: Is it possible to modify Subtitles?  (Read 2336 times)

April 02, 2009, 12:15:09 AM
Read 2336 times

Rupert_Pupkin

Guys, as you probably know WD just screwed up the subtitles big time with the latest firmware.

I read Wiki and most of the other topics but I couldn't see a definitive information on this. Do you think it will ever be possible to modify subtitles (fonts, positioning etc. ) in the unofficial firmwares? I mean is it technically possible with what you currently have in terms of source codes?

I'd appreciate if you guys can inform me on this because the lack of subtitle support is driving lots of people insane.

Thanks again.

The improvements you guys achieved here are just amazing. We are absolutely grateful for that.

I don't know if that's possible but if anyone can tackle the subtitle issue (resolution, fonts, positioning etc), then I assure you that lots of people would be even more grateful. This includes English speakers who watch non-English stuff and the people who live in non-English speaking countries. It became obvious that WD can't solve these issues.

April 02, 2009, 01:23:09 AM
Reply #1

chrisnes

I haven't tested the latest official release, what excactly is the issue with the subtitles there?

Regards.

April 02, 2009, 02:48:42 AM
Reply #2

Rupert_Pupkin

I haven't tested the latest official release, what excactly is the issue with the subtitles there?

Regards.

Well, first of all, they couldn't even fix the simplest issue of all time. <i>, <b> tags still don't work. Now they ignore the tags completely, as if they're not there.

What is worse is that in order to fix the subtitle delay problem, they lowered the resolution of the subtitles! Now they look much worse. Plus, after 4 months, we still don't have different fonts, colors, positioning options etc. Of course, lots of people are waiting for different character sets, too.

April 02, 2009, 03:02:11 AM
Reply #3

chrisnes

Regards.

Well, first of all, they couldn't even fix the simplest issue of all time. <i>, <b> tags still don't work. Now they ignore the tags completely, as if they're not there.

Huh, is that possible? When I read in the release note they had added "additional subtitle decoding suport" I was pretty sure they had fixed that... the (for me) only really annoying bug in the previous firmware.

Thats bad work IMO :(

April 02, 2009, 05:32:38 AM
Reply #4

Zorander

Regards.

Huh, is that possible? When I read in the release note they had added "additional subtitle decoding suport" I was pretty sure they had fixed that... the (for me) only really annoying bug in the previous firmware.

Thats bad work IMO :(
There IS additional subtitle decoding support:  sub/idx inside mkv containers work now.  For me, that was BIG.  (the easiest method of ripping subtitles from DVD was using this format--in order to convert to srt you had to pipe everything into a character recognition engine and everything, now it's MUCH nicer)  Especially since most of the automated dvd-to-mkv tools used that format.

You might want to check to see if the higher resolution subtitle was a different subtitle index (it's possible that you just ignored the one that was previously giving a "subtitle not supproted" message--and that this now actually WORKS....).  The reason:  some of my mkv files have 3 subtitle tracks:  The first one is the (low res) sub/idx track, the second one is the same track pumped through the character recognition engine and changed into srt, the third is a close caption capture.  The 2nd and 3rd are higher res font than the 1st.

Just my 2 cents.