Author Topic: 1080p video with stuttering over lan  (Read 1018 times)

October 04, 2011, 03:37:48 PM
Read 1018 times

jak58

Hello
I would like to state my recent experience with WDTV Live.
I just bought this great box so i'm very very fresh with it!! Have tried only a few movies, so no way i'm an expert; although i had, a few years ago ripped dvds, and some video edititng software, in a time when there werent much software around for non experts.
Ok, this said, why this post?
About a week ago, I watched AVATAR with WDTV Live, (btw, great quality) 1080p, with absolutely NO FAULT, NO STUTTER, NO FREEZE, over LAN 10/100 (no USB drive/pen).
But... when, 2 days ago i was preparing to watch Predators, 1080p, 6 channels it started to stutter, eventually doing ff or rw fixed it for a few minutes (not much indeed), but then all over again. Strangely, or maybe not, it never freezed! just stuttered.
No way to watch it like this!! So what was the problem? Checked Avatar again, 1080p and still plyaed smoothly!!
In fact, many things could cause this: LAN rates, video bitrate, video encoding... well i had to start somewhere, right? Read few threads, in forums to see if i could solve it.
1- just to be sure, i copied the file to USB pen... it played just nicely; no stutter, nothing! Thought: LAN rates! But then again, how come Avatar played smoothly over the LAN?
2- video issue? maybe. I read in numerous threads that for matters of smooth play, these mkv/mp4 files should not have over 4/5 reference frames (Reframe). Ironically: Avatar had 7 or 8 reference frames, and Predators only 5!
3- audio? -BINGO! now here was the trouble (got you!) In fact, Avatar was 1080p, 8 Reframes, but stereo audio, whereas Predator, being only 5 Reframes, 1080, had a 6 channels audio! Too much bits to come in real time over LAN (at least, my LAN).
How to solve this?
1. Extract the audio using YAMB  (very easy to find, just google 4 it)
2. Convert (downmix) it to 2channels (stereo) - use this small tool for the job  (http://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1699596/aac_6ch_to_mp4_2ch.zip)
3. Mux (that is, join audio and video), using HYBRID (a fantastic tool for muxing/demuxing high definition files (mkv, mp4...) (very easy to find, just google 4 it).  Eventually removing the 6 channels stream (or you may leave this stream for use in the future).
Of course for me there is no problem in listening only in stereo, cause i dont have multi channel equipment.

Well, thats it!   ;)    Too long  thread, but wanted to share this experience with others (do you mind?)

Jak

October 04, 2011, 04:16:08 PM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Very informative.  Most ppl go to custom firmware so the remote drive can be mounted and streamed via NFS.  This is a great fix for those who wish to keep the factory firmware.

Thanks for this.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

October 04, 2011, 05:00:08 PM
Reply #2

jak58

Tks for your reply RavRob. One thing i forgot to say was, yes my box is using factory firm, latest - 1.06...
So youre saying that if Network Filesystem (NFS) was used i wouldnt have had this problem?

Jak

October 04, 2011, 05:59:00 PM
Reply #3

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Exactly.  However, you can only use NFS with custom firmware.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television