Author Topic: Calibration Device using WDTV  (Read 5921 times)

April 01, 2009, 12:52:57 PM
Read 5921 times

clinthicum

• Personal Text
    AV Designer & Installer
    • HiTech Upgrades, LLC.
Not sure if you guys had seen this product yet or not, but it seems that the guys at CurtPalme, Spectracal, and CalMan have found a way to use the Western Digital WDTV box as a video generator of sorts for performing HDTV calibrations across HDMI.

Figured you might get a kick out of this.

Chris Linthicum
HiTech Upgrades, LLC

April 01, 2009, 01:07:23 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Ha,

That's pretty cool!    Here is a direct link for the curious: http://www.curtpalme.com/CalMAN_DPG-1000.shtm

CURTPALME is an amazing site, and I recommend it to anyone interested in home theater.   Especially CRT Projectors!

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 15, 2009, 07:32:09 AM
Reply #2

gmanvbva

Neat idea. Many of us were discussing using the WDTV to calibrate our HDTV's on avs forums.

Pretty hefty markup for simply taking less than $300 in consumer parts and throwing some images on flash drive?

(Even if it had a very simple UI mod for a custom menu)

May 16, 2009, 09:31:49 AM
Reply #3

Monkeyface66

This all is not going to work well because the WD TV is not always outputting correct colors....

This product = fail!?!?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:38:19 PM by Monkeyface66 »

May 17, 2009, 04:04:21 AM
Reply #4

Nisei

This was developed by CurtPalme, Spectracal, and CalMan. I don't know if you're familiar with them but these guys are the top when it comes to display calibration.
So saying they've produced a fail product without knowing what's inside sounds pretty naive in my opinion.
etx3-boot 0.9.2
Arkview Gigabit ethernet adapter
Qnap TS-119 NAS with NFS share

May 17, 2009, 12:48:28 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
This was developed by CurtPalme, Spectracal, and CalMan. I don't know if you're familiar with them but these guys are the top when it comes to display calibration.
So saying they've produced a fail product without knowing what's inside sounds pretty naive in my opinion.

Yep,

I spend more time on Curt Palme's site than I do on this one.  And I own this one. :)

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 17, 2009, 05:37:34 PM
Reply #6

Monkeyface66

You're right, I was too harsh!  :)

Let's say that this product = not reliable at the moment because the WD TV with its current firmwares has known issues with the black level and HDMI handshake stuff.

May 18, 2009, 12:59:38 AM
Reply #7

Nisei

Yeah I agree but this wasn't always the case. Perhaps they used a previous firmware which didn't have these problems since the latest firmwares only add features which aren't relevant for the use of the device for calibration.
etx3-boot 0.9.2
Arkview Gigabit ethernet adapter
Qnap TS-119 NAS with NFS share

May 18, 2009, 11:48:31 AM
Reply #8

gmanvbva

Also, he could be using custom FW that resolves any color issues.