Author Topic: BUG v1.02.08: WDTV IR Remote Problem  (Read 21032 times)

May 23, 2009, 08:19:20 AM
Read 21032 times

jbs1077

I think I'm experiencing a bug with the IR remote with the latest beta FW. My WDTV would not respond to my remote and when it does it would skip through several menu as if it was pressed several times. I read from another forum of what was believed to be a problem mainly with Samsung LCD TV and specifically with its Energy Saving feature. From the thread, it was concluded that when we have this feature ON it would somehow create the remote bug. I first encountered this bug with the 1.02.03 FW. One of the user who had similar problem posted an alternative method by placing a black tape (or a solid color tape) between the Power and USB indicator on the WDTV. But, I chose to turn off the ES feature instead to solve the problem. Then, a couple of days ago I upgraded to 1.02.08 and this bug appeared again, however, I wasn't using the ES feature. I tried the tape solution but later decided to revert back to 1.02.08. Hope the WD team figure out how to deal with this bug since I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

May 23, 2009, 09:04:11 AM
Reply #1

bobosquishy

Actually, I think you have it backwards.  Turning ON the energy saving feature is supposed to help by decreasing the output of the TV thus reducing the amount of interference.

You might also be getting interference from something besides the television.  Many different things put out infra-red light, including the sun, a flame, an led, or even a light bulb.  See if you can eliminate other infra-red light sources as the cause.

Also, I grant you the fact that the remote problem shouldn't be there.  It is definitely a hardware issue. I have not yet experienced it on my Samsung LCD (knock on wood), but then again it always has energy saving mode turned on and I also have light filtering curtains in the living room... plus I am using a different remote than the one that came with the WDTV.
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

May 23, 2009, 07:17:37 PM
Reply #2

jbs1077

@bobosquishy

Well, the fact is the problem first started after I use the Energy Saving feature. Since I turned it off everything seem OK until a few days ago. I thought it had something to do with the 1.02.08 FW so yesterday I switched back to 1.02.07 and, sure enough, the remote function normally again. However, this morning I was using it again and then in the middle of a scene I paused it for a moment because I had to go to the bathroom, and when I came back to resume it wouldn't respond. FYI, I like to watch with the lights off and curtains down even during the day whenever possible. The lighting condition this morning did not change dramatically and I certainly didn't suddenly turned on something with IR.

May 24, 2009, 03:13:48 AM
Reply #3

bobosquishy

I don't know...  maybe you just have a defective remote.  Or maybe you just need to change the batteries.  When you tried the tape fix, did it not work?  That could be an indication that this isn't related to the IR problem.

Maybe you are going about this the wrong way.  Maybe instead of trying to stop the problem, you should try to encourage it.  Try doing everything you can think of to get it to happen until you hit the answer, which would be whatever allows you to reproduce the problem to a high degree.

Also, this is just an idea, but do you have a lot of exposed white walls and/or reflective surfaces in the room with the TV?  Do you have another TV area somewhere else in the house?  Have you tried setting up the WDTV box in there?

May 24, 2009, 06:16:11 AM
Reply #4

jbs1077

I don't know...  maybe you just have a defective remote.  Or maybe you just need to change the batteries.  When you tried the tape fix, did it not work?  That could be an indication that this isn't related to the IR problem.

No, I don't have a defective remote. I've been using it for a month without any problem. I don't know why the problem just happened and that's what I'm trying to figure out. So far, there have been at least three people that I know of having the same problem. Maybe you didn't read my post properly but I did say that the tape fix worked, but I was hoping that somebody may have a better solution.

Thanks for responding but I dont think your inputs are leading me anywhere. :)

May 24, 2009, 09:57:46 AM
Reply #5

bobosquishy

Here's an idea: put that tape back on there.

May 24, 2009, 04:35:08 PM
Reply #6

jbs1077

I am using the tape to fix the problem but, like I wrote before, I'm curious to know about a better fix than putting a tape on my WDTV. Thanks anyway for your reply.

May 25, 2009, 09:35:41 AM
Reply #7

Silbian

I'm curious to know about a better fix than putting a tape on my WDTV. Thanks anyway for your reply.

A friend of mine just bought WDTV and got immediately the same jbs1077 problem.
He don't have any Samsung LCD and I was unable to find the reason. Original firmware was 1.01.02 upgraded to 1.02.07 without any effect.
I solved it, as usual, with the black tape on the front panel  8).
I hope that WD staff will find a serious fix ASAP........

May 25, 2009, 02:33:59 PM
Reply #8

FVD

I never experience any IR problem until today version.

you press stop and the movie stop after 5 or more second.

May 26, 2009, 08:10:32 PM
Reply #9

jbs1077

Hope someone from WD reads this thread.

May 27, 2009, 10:22:24 AM
Reply #10

GuyWD

I've got some questions for people experiencing trouble with the remote. I realize that you might already have answered some of these, but if you can go through and answer each one I would be grateful:

Can you describe your symptoms in as much detail as possible? For example, are you only having issues with the remote during video playback, or do you have issues at all times?

Did your problems start in 1.02.08, or have you had problems before?

If you downgraded to older firmware, did the problem go away?

Did the "tape fix" resolve your problems?

What model TV are you using?

Thanks - your feedback is very valuable.

May 27, 2009, 05:57:08 PM
Reply #11

amboz

Well, I think the whole problem with the malfunction remote is because of the two bright lights next to the IR of the WD player. I opened up the player to do a mod inside like someone has posted here, covered the IR with the film plastic to isolate it from the two bright lights, and everythings just work fine right now. One odd thing about the IR inside of the WD is that it doesn't has any clear window for the remote to point at, the WD shell is solid black plastic with only the 2 clear spot for the USB icon light and the Power status light. I totally belief that it is the two bright lights that are interfered with the IR reception.

May 27, 2009, 06:14:23 PM
Reply #12

Severely

I have only had the WD TV for 3 days. Was working fine until today, now when playing any file the remote ceases to respond then in about 10 minutes it starts to do its own thing ie Remote inputs I pushed 10 minutes earlier. Have tried 3 firmware changes and battery change in the remote. No difference. Even programmed my mutlifunction remote and still same problem thus I do not believe it is a remote problem but rather a problem with the WD TV itself. This is very frustrating and may result in me asking for a refund.

May 27, 2009, 09:11:15 PM
Reply #13

bobosquishy

Have tried 3 firmware changes and battery change in the remote. No difference. Even programmed my mutlifunction remote and still same problem thus I do not believe it is a remote problem but rather a problem with the WD TV itself. This is very frustrating and may result in me asking for a refund.

So you didn't try the tape fix?  Yes, it is a hardware problem.  It will happen no matter what firmware you have.  People need to get it out of their heads that this will be fixed with a firmware update, because it won't.

It can be solved by a small piece of black electrical tape.

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=288.msg5221#msg5221

May 27, 2009, 10:51:00 PM
Reply #14

jbs1077

I've got some questions for people experiencing trouble with the remote. I realize that you might already have answered some of these, but if you can go through and answer each one I would be grateful:

Can you describe your symptoms in as much detail as possible? For example, are you only having issues with the remote during video playback, or do you have issues at all times?

The problem usually occurs in the main menu which prevents us from actually playing the file. Yes, it happens all the time.

Did your problems start in 1.02.08, or have you had problems before?

Since 1.02.03.

If you downgraded to older firmware, did the problem go away?

Probably won't do it because downgrading causes another problem. I will probably stick with the tape fix for the time being rather than changing FW.

Did the "tape fix" resolve your problems?

Yes, most of the time. One time, even with the tape fix I still experience this issue but I've only experience it once with the tape fix so far.

What model TV are you using?

Samsung LCD TV

Thanks - your feedback is very valuable.