Author Topic: Album Art Thumbnails in Music Album view  (Read 1820 times)

May 22, 2009, 09:28:26 PM
Read 1820 times

1tolanm

I'm new to posting, but first I gotta say I think the WDTV is the greatest and the firmware upgrades and support with developing this unit is turning into an awesome media player.

I've done a lot of looking around, searching and reading, as well I'm realtively technically competant and computer savy, but I can't figure out if it is possible to view Album Art thumbnails when browsing Music by Album in the WDTV media player.  I have included the Album Art in all my .mp3 files using iTunes and see the thumbnails when each individual song plays, or if I select to view all songs/music. Problem is if I go to Album view I have the default Black/Grey image. Can anyone let me know if I need to do something more to get album art thumbnails in Music Album view, or is this something I have to hope and wait to see if the WDTV development group will implement in one of their releases?

Thanks in advance

May 23, 2009, 06:50:02 AM
Reply #1

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
Simple answer is no, it doesn't do that unfortunately.  It only shows thumbs via All Music or Folders.  It's a shame.
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

May 23, 2009, 10:25:06 AM
Reply #2

1tolanm

Do you suppose WD Developers might be inclined to add that functionality?  It would make some sense anyhow.  They've made a lot of improvements to date and I hope they continue to do so, they're pretty smart business wise, I mean yeah, when I bought the WDTV I invested in some WD external drives as well.

May 24, 2009, 05:51:11 PM
Reply #3

dave4761

I use me WDTV player mainly for music files. How I handle this situation is to not use the media library function. That is turned off, so I use the folder list directly off the usb hard drive. This does mean that to make things easy for me to find them I've had to create a file structure that makes sense to me. So all my music is in a general My Music folder, which is the only folder which shows up on the music file menu. This contains subdirectories for classical instrumental, opera, rock, jazz and soundtracks. These contain subfolders alphabetically or by composer, which contain the individual album files. Of course, you can do whatever makes sense to you.

Now, as far as the album art, I include the album cover art as part of each mp3 file, but I also include the same picture, sometimes better quality in each album folder  renamed as folder. jpg. You can then switch from list to thumbnail  view and you will then see all the albums in each directory as album covers in alphabetical order and you can choose your album by album cover. I also have icon files in each of the main directory folders renamed as folder. jpg and then these folders also are presented pictorially. Try it and see if this is what you are looking for. it does involve a tremedous amount of work if you have a large music library and if you haven't been doing this all along.

May 24, 2009, 07:49:14 PM
Reply #4

1tolanm

Thanks Dave,

I will play around with this. I do have my folder structure very organized and recently have been creating some of my own album art images.  I'm not sure what one would consider large, but I believe I have somewhere around 500 cd album's from my collection burned to my Hard Drive. Catch is I'm doing all this for my 78 year old father and will be working on converting his old LP's, some cassettes, and even 8-Track. 

I'm doing the same for video's as well and will be working later to organize the photo's, unfortunately the photos are the least organized of all my files, i left that up to the camera software to the naming convention of the folders, which isn't bad, but it's by date and that tells me little to nothing of what's in the folder till I look.