Author Topic: MKV Files No Sorround Sound  (Read 2458 times)

May 18, 2011, 02:00:19 PM
Read 2458 times

spazfishy

Hello, I play mostly mkv files. I have a hdmi cable running from the WD TV to the TV then an optical cord running from the TV to a Samsung HT-C550 Audio receiver. In the option of WD TV I select the HDMI option to auto detect and it only displays dolby digital as an option. The sound works but only plays from the two front speakers as if it is being changed to sterio only. I would love to have surround sound.

Now the Samsung receiver is capable of DTS but that is not displayed as an option on the WD TV. If I select it manauly it makes no difference. Still no sorround sound.

My questions would be these:

Is this soley the fault of the audio receiver?
What is the most common audio output form for MKV Files?
Is the lacking DTS option the reason the sourround sound is failing?
Is there a way to circumvent this besides buying a new receiver?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you

May 18, 2011, 06:13:48 PM
Reply #1

thepanoguy

I have no problems decoding 5.1 audio tracks on the WDTV live with any of the ROM revisions. There is nothing wrong with your amplifier and no need to replace it. I have encountered a number of badly authored DVDís that refuse to play in 5.1 when converted into another format. Set the WDTV Live to digital pass through. Rip a DVD title and play that title without any conversion. You should be able to select the audio decoding on your amplifier.