Author Topic: Can't get Playlists to work  (Read 29963 times)

April 25, 2009, 05:20:26 AM
Reply #60

ParallaxView

A continuing saga -

I am still frustrated by this.  After my calls to tech support I sent an email to the WD guy who sent me to the phone support and voiced my concerns and that I had been getting into circular arugments with the phone support guys.

He continued to help me even though I explained to him that I had run out of patience and was just not going to figure on this being resolved. 

He then gave me a list of instructions on making a playlist (that didn't work and that I had seen before)
I then emailed him back and gave him a detailed description of where the instructions fail.

Happily he was able to recreate the error I am experiencing and is sending it up to engineering for analysis.
I hope that something comes of this, but regardless I think I should change my opinion of WD's tech support.

Sadly, I still can't get it to read playlists, and I have always tried doing it from the music folder.

April 25, 2009, 11:48:41 AM
Reply #61

Pennhaven

A continuing saga ...

Sadly, I still can't get it to read playlists, and I have always tried doing it from the music folder.

You ought to get a medal from WD for perseverance.

Very interesting that WD was finally able to recreate your problem, yet no one else here seems to be experiencing it. ???

While you're communicating with WD tech support you might ask when they'll get around to making playlists play in the correct order. Unless that issue is also resolved I'm afraid you'll still be frustrated even after you get a "working" playlist on your WDTV.

April 26, 2009, 04:17:50 AM
Reply #62

ParallaxView

You ought to get a medal from WD for perseverance.

Very interesting that WD was finally able to recreate your problem, yet no one else here seems to be experiencing it. ???

While you're communicating with WD tech support you might ask when they'll get around to making playlists play in the correct order. Unless that issue is also resolved I'm afraid you'll still be frustrated even after you get a "working" playlist on your WDTV.

I will do that.  And it does drive me crazy that I am the only one experiencing this on this forum.  Regarding playlists at this point, it's just become a personal vendetta to just get even one to work.  I am still going to use my Creative Zen player to handle my music.  At the very least I'll get the WDTV plugged in to show photos and video.

Who knows, WD might be able to handle the playlist order in a future firmware release...

August 08, 2009, 07:11:07 PM
Reply #63

JohnyB

:)
Got .mpl playlist files to work over a LAN connection.

At first I tried placing the playlists in the root directory of my Music folder, where all my tracks are kept.  Trying to open the playlist from there didn't work.

I read something that gave me an idea.  I created a subdirectory under the Music folder called Playlists and moved the playlists into it.  Now I can navigate into that directory and open the playlists.  Note: This is only possible from the folder view, not Playlist view.

Hope this helps others.
WDHTV <- TU2-ETG Gigabit Adapter <- DIR655 <- HTPC
firmware 1.02.07_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.3.2

September 11, 2009, 08:25:53 AM
Reply #64

Saint59

Playlists must have relative paths or no path if they exist in the same folder as your tracks. Even with relative paths, the playlist must exist in the right location. I successfully use playlists that reference files all over the place. Here's some simple examples, where I've created a text file, edited it with Notepad, and then renamed the extension .txt to .m3u
(i.e. Santana.m3u instead of Santana.txt)

The track is called - Moonflower.mp3
and it is in a series of folders, with the following path -
Music\S\Santana\Best Of\Moonflower.mp3

EXAMPLE 1 (regular path hierarchy)
Playlist is in the Music folder, so the entry in playlist is
S\Santana\Best Of\Moonflower.mp3

EXAMPLE 2 (regular path hierarchy)
Playlist is in the S folder, so the entry in playlist is
Santana\Best Of\Moonflower.mp3

EXAMPLE 3 (regular path hierarchy)
Playlist is in the Santana folder, so the entry in playlist is
Best Of\Moonflower.mp3

EXAMPLE 4 (regular path hierarchy)
Playlist is in the Best Of folder, so the entry in playlist is
Moonflower.mp3

Trickier examples
EXAMPLE 5 (outside regular path hierarchy - two folders deep)
Playlist is in the Music folder in another folder called Playlists, so the entry in playlist is
..\S\Santana\Best Of\Moonflower.mp3

EXAMPLE 6 (outside regular path hierarchy - three folders deep)
Playlist is in the Music folder inside another folder called Playlists inside another folder called Latin Rock, so the entry in playlist is
..\..\S\Santana\Best Of\Moonflower.mp3

The ..\ tells the software to start outside the current folder of the playlist.

Whatever you do, do not specify a drive letter (i.e. C:), and a starting backslash (\) is not required.

Now that I've helped many of you, if you love listening to audio on the WD TV, then please assist all of us, by submitting your own bug report about sorting issues and non ID3 title display of tracks. They seem to be under the mistaken impression, that people only watch movies with the WD TV, and we need the bugs fixed with a firmware update.

You could also put in requests for Gapless play (i.e. no silence between tracks of a live or continuous concept album) and the ability to program what plays.

BUG DETAILS, etc
The lastest Beta (.10) firmware fixes playlist order of play - tracks now play in the order they are listed, rather than alphabetical. Artist view now also displays Album names before displaying the tracks - unfortunately, the tracks play alphabetically by ID3 title ... even though they ridiculously don't display ID3 title (only the filename - which for me, is a short abbreviation i.e. SANBES12.mp3)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:43:34 AM by Saint59 »

September 11, 2009, 10:53:15 AM
Reply #65

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Saint59,

This is awesome.  There is a lot of detail here I was not aware of.   If you want to creat a definitive guide to creating playlists for the WDTV let me know.  You can start a new thread with this information and I will make it sticky at the top of the Audio section.  Just PM me if you do it and I will make it sticky  :)
This is very well thought out and informative. 

Jay
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

September 12, 2009, 07:51:18 AM
Reply #66

Saint59

Saint59,

This is awesome.  There is a lot of detail here I was not aware of.   If you want to creat a definitive guide to creating playlists for the WDTV let me know.  You can start a new thread with this information and I will make it sticky at the top of the Audio section.  Just PM me if you do it and I will make it sticky  :)
This is very well thought out and informative. 

Jay
Thanks!
I don't know that there is too much more to say on the subject, but I'll give it some thought.
I guess a sticky would catch everyone's eye a bit easier, rather than my post which will eventually get buried and forgotten most likely.
Why not just copy or move my existing post to a new sticky, and if I need to, I'll add more or modify it when I get a chance?

October 07, 2009, 06:28:02 AM
Reply #67

lolo92

Hello

I experienced the same problem than ParallaxView and was enable to play any playlist, except for playlist located in the same folder than the audio files. WD support could not help me.
I finnaly identified the reason of this strange behavior : my hard drive was FAT32 formated. After reformating in NTFS, playlist work well now !

Moreover, playlists work with relative or absolute paths.
For relative paths, everything has been well explained by Saint59.
For absolute path, just write the path without the drive letter. Example : mp3 files located on usb1 in the path Music\S\Santana\Best Of\Moonflower.mp3
The playlist should simply reference Music\S\Santana\Best Of\Moonflower.mp3 (Winamp creates absolute playlits)

Laurent.

October 18, 2009, 05:15:10 PM
Reply #68

Saint59

The program I use to create most of my playlists and edit the ID3 tags, is Tagscanner ... which is freeware ... and great for relative paths.

On a side note, my playlists work on either Fat32 or NTFS ... as they should ... no reason not to unless something else is at fault.

October 29, 2009, 10:01:14 AM
Reply #69

D.vobre

• Personal Text
    http://tierussianwoman.w-ru.com/ - russia women bride
    • russia girls for marriage
Hi Mahdi,

wondered if you had any luck with getting your key/keys yet?
Im in the same position with Studio pro... got no registration key, cant install the product, or find a way to get either of the keys.

November 11, 2009, 03:26:21 AM
Reply #70

Raimblob73

• Personal Text
    [url=http://russian-brides-best.com/]young dating sites[/url]
    • women bride
herd and fitz - just cant get enough

out monday i do believe

January 27, 2010, 01:57:49 AM
Reply #71

3dxr

• Global Moderator

Hello

The playlist should simply reference Music\S\Santana\Best Of\Moonflower.mp3 (Winamp creates absolute playlits)

Laurent.

playlist is TEXT based file its simple USE EDIT-REPLACE REMOVE  ABSOLUTE PATHS and CHANGE to RELATIVE

D:\MUSIC\Santana\track1.mp3 -> ..\Santana\track1.mp3

MATCH STRING "D:\MUSIC\Santana" REPLACED to "..\Santana"
OR use really fine freeware :) for ex: Tagscanner

July 20, 2010, 09:44:57 PM
Reply #72

jeune

Why is this so hard??
I just bought my WD TV LIVE yesterday after thinking about MAC MINI, Apple TV etc. I cant believe I didnt know about it, its so cool...and cheap!!..but why on earth are playlists not part of the product. I havent even attempted to do it yet and Ive read so many confusing messages. can anyone explain how to do it for video and audio...in laymans terms?? please?

August 24, 2010, 03:31:27 PM
Reply #73

randomizr

• Personal Text
    real retard
    • Сайт факультета журналистики МГУ
Hi,

I've set up many VirtueMart shopping carts without any problem in the past... but I can't get any payment method to work... all it allows is 'Ask a question about this product' button.

Also I'm using AEC but I'm not trying to integrate AEC with VirtueMart... I'm just trying to get VM to work.

Should I re-install VM?

Any ideas?

Best,

wolfix

October 22, 2010, 10:39:37 PM
Reply #74

joe0097

I want to share my experience with m3u playlist. (1.03.01 firmware)
Note: [Directory Name] mean directory or folder name

[B-G] not work for me
[B - G] work
Test in ansi codepage, UTF-8 doesn't test.

02. Playlist must be in UTF-8 codepage, ANSI partial work.
Some filename has a special character that you can't notice.
I use dos command to generate playlist and edit by word program.
Codepage can change by notepad (use save as..)

ie : dir /b /on /s > playlist.m3u

03. The last line of playlist must add empty one line or else last song in playlist wont show.

04. Don't use [DIDO] must use [Dido] sometimes playlist skip this.
I think it a bug of firmware. This one is very hard to find I spent 2-3 hours to figure it out.

05. Use exact name because in linux it case sensitive.

06. I use mp3tag, for mp3 ID3v2.3 UTF-16 recommend if you want to show album art.
ID3v2.4 won't work for me.

07. Some flac file will skip in WDTV if has an error, use flactester to check for error. (it comes with flac 1.2.1 package)
Reencode will solve this problem.

08. Max resolution for album art, I use 500x500 jpeg file, png don't support.