Author Topic: Can't get Playlists to work  (Read 29941 times)

April 03, 2009, 04:52:52 PM
Reply #15

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
AARRRGGHHHHH!!!  I still can't get this to f---ing work!

Here is my mpl file in its entirety:

<media src="\\USB2\My Music\Yes\90125\It Can Happen.wma" cid="{FF2995C8-A493-4382-B6BD-69318381E79A}" tid="{6E34B6D9-A0F5-4961-B4E8-99AA17693FF7}"/>

I don't use playlists, but I can tell you that '\' does not mean directory seperation in Linux. Its a '/' you want, and USB2 is not a root directory its /tmp/media/usb/USB2

But why not drop the path all together and just put the song track only, the osd already knows what directory you're in.

April 04, 2009, 02:46:52 AM
Reply #16

ParallaxView

ParallaxView,

Try navigating through the Music Folders and note the name of the first folder(s) presented. Mine are media, and UPnP as assigned by the firmware. If yours is "USB2" select it and see if there is another folder name under that before you get to "My Music"

If there is try substituting that name for USB2 in the playlist or inserting it after "USB2/". One or the other should work.

If there is no other drive name besides "USB2" then I have no idea why its not working as logically it should be.

This is how I first assumed that the top folder is USB2.  After that folder it's striaght to My Music etc.
I am going to try different iterations and see what happens.

April 04, 2009, 07:48:38 AM
Reply #17

Pennhaven

... If there is no other drive name besides "USB2" then I have no idea why its not working as logically it should be.

This is how I first assumed that the top folder is USB2.  After that folder it's striaght to My Music etc.
I am going to try different iterations and see what happens.

I assume you've already tried "//My Music/Yes/...etc?" I don't know what else to suggest.

We really do need to see a copy of a working playlist from someone whose media is on a USB drive. That should answer the question quickly.

Andy13870 are you still here? Please lend a hand.

April 04, 2009, 08:10:38 AM
Reply #18

Pennhaven

I don't use playlists, but I can tell you that '\' does not mean directory seperation in Linux. Its a '/' you want, and USB2 is not a root directory its /tmp/media/usb/USB2

But why not drop the path all together and just put the song track only, the osd already knows what directory you're in.

I sure can't dispute what you know about Linux. All I know is that the playlists I posted with the '\' work. (And of course that is how playlist paths will look if the list is created on a Windows machine, as I think most users would do.)

What you say about the OSD knowing which directory you're in only makes sense to a point (to me). Yes it makes sense for it to know what the root directory of the mounted drive is, but how would it know what subdirectory the media track was in when the media is in a music subdirectory with further subdirectory's for artist and album?

When I started my placelist was in the format "..\artist\album\track" and that didn't work, If the WDTV already knows what root directory I'm in and that root directory is my mounted media share, then it sounds as though "..\Audio\artist\album\track" should work for me. I never tried that but it sure might be worth a try for ParallaxView.

April 04, 2009, 08:37:12 AM
Reply #19

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
I sure can't dispute what you know about Linux. All I know is that the playlists I posted with the '\' work. (And of course that is how playlist paths will look if the list is created on a Windows machine, as I think most users would do.)

What you say about the OSD knowing which directory you're in only makes sense to a point (to me). Yes it makes sense for it to know what the root directory of the mounted drive is, but how would it know what subdirectory the media track was in when the media is in a music subdirectory with further subdirectory's for artist and album?

When I started my placelist was in the format "..\artist\album\track" and that didn't work, If the WDTV already knows what root directory I'm in and that root directory is my mounted media share, then it sounds as though "..\Audio\artist\album\track" should work for me. I never tried that but it sure might be worth a try for ParallaxView.

Well I speak here of playlists in the same directory as the albums, I'm just noticing now that there is an actual 'playlist' sub cat under audio. Never use audio so never saw it, but that must be what you guys speak of.

The osd knows what directory you're in because it is displaying you the files in said directory, but if you're in the playlist cat all bets are off and your format is most likely correct...since it does work for you.

April 04, 2009, 10:56:22 AM
Reply #20

Pennhaven

Well I speak here of playlists in the same directory as the albums, I'm just noticing now that there is an actual 'playlist' sub cat under audio. Never use audio so never saw it, but that must be what you guys speak of.

Ahh. Maybe that raises another possibility for ParallaxView to try. My playlists are in a subfolder /Audio/playlists/. So if the firmware thinks that the playlist directory is the root, relative to the songs,... then naturally... "../Artist/Album/Track" won't work for me, because the full path has to be /Audio/Artist/Album/Track.

But if the playlist were in my Audio folder, or ParallaxView's My Music folder, then ../Artist/Album/Track just might work.

The bottom line is that the location of the playlists presents another variable (and it just may explain why my playlists don't work when I try to run them from the folder view - though I can't say I understand for sure why not.)

April 04, 2009, 11:15:04 AM
Reply #21

Pennhaven

But if the playlist were in my Audio folder, or ParallaxView's My Music folder, then ../Artist/Album/Track just might work.

Sorry I think that should be ./Artist/Album/Track with one ".".

[Moderator: Why can't we just leave posts open for editing? What's the harm? Lot's of folks like me just don't catch our typos outright errors until a little time passes :-[.]

April 04, 2009, 11:42:00 AM
Reply #22

Pennhaven

But if the playlist were in my Audio folder, or ParallaxView's My Music folder, then ./Artist/Album/Track just might work.

Yes. ;D Just tested. That works! If the playlists are in the top "folder" of a music directory tree with an artist - album - track substructure, then "./artist/album/track" works as the playlist path and the playlist can be played from the folder view.

ParallaxView, I think this should solve your problem! (Though there may also be other solutions.)

Now that I see this it seems to be the obvious way to go, but then I haven't had experience exporting playlists from one device to another before, so it took me awhile. :-[ Thanks to b.rad-cc for helping me think it through. :)

April 04, 2009, 01:30:27 PM
Reply #23

Pennhaven

But if the playlist were in my Audio folder, or ParallaxView's My Music folder, then ./Artist/Album/Track just might work.

Yes. ;D Just tested. That works! If the playlists are in the top "folder" of a music directory tree with an artist - album - track substructure, then "./artist/album/track" works as the playlist path and the playlist can be played from the folder view.

ParallaxView, I think this should solve your problem! (Though there may also be other solutions.)

Now that I see this it seems to be the obvious way to go, but then I haven't had experience exporting playlists from one device to another before, so it took me awhile. :-[ Thanks to b.rad-cc for helping me think it through. :)

More successful testing. Finally getting somewhere! If the playlist is in a separate playlist folder - one level beneath the top level music folder - as mine were originally, then the path that should be used within the list to allow the playlist to be played from the folder view is "../artist/album/track". This time with "..".

Once again fairly obvious, if you think about the relative directory structure and understand that "." means current directory and ".." means parent directory. Of course in a  aperfect world this would all be spelled out in WD's documentation and this thread would be a lot shorter... :)

April 04, 2009, 01:43:44 PM
Reply #24

Pennhaven

Of course in a  aperfect world this would all be spelled out in WD's documentation and this thread would be a lot shorter...

Meant to type:

"Of course in a perfect world this would all be spelled out in WD's documentation and this thread would be a lot shorter..."

[Moderator: Please let us edit our posts! Also the dark background on the Post Reply screen makes it difficult to see what we've typed. In a perfect world, that would be fixed too!  ;) ]

April 04, 2009, 02:05:57 PM
Reply #25

ParallaxView

I don't think I understand what you guys are talking about, because I STILL can't get these f---ing playlists to work on this damn POS.
Sorry, I am getting frustrated.

Here's what I tried:

I tried placing playlists with the '..' before every item on the list (ex: I put a playlist in both the 'O:\My Music' folder
and in the 'O:\My Music\My Playlists' folder) this does not work for me.

I tried to use a single '.' for the lists in the O:\My Music folder.

I tried creating a PLS file with the same format as the sample posted previously, again with the '..'
I tried creating a playlist in the My Music folder so that it was the only file not in its own artist folder and used the '.' still didn't work.
Hell, I even tried using a '/' instead of the '\' to separate folders in some of the files.

And now, I want to throw both my hard drive and the WDTV out the fracking window.

I feel like a complete and utter dimwit.  Can someone spell this out for me in a slower and louder font?

All my music is located in two folders which are accessed straight from the top folder tree, they are My Music and Alexis Music.
Everything else within those folders are Artist\Album\Track.

April 04, 2009, 02:42:34 PM
Reply #26

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
I don't think I understand what you guys are talking about, because I STILL can't get these f---ing playlists to work on this damn POS.
Sorry, I am getting frustrated.

Here's what I tried:

I tried placing playlists with the '..' before every item on the list (ex: I put a playlist in both the 'O:\My Music' folder
and in the 'O:\My Music\My Playlists' folder) this does not work for me.

I tried to use a single '.' for the lists in the O:\My Music folder.

I tried creating a PLS file with the same format as the sample posted previously, again with the '..'
I tried creating a playlist in the My Music folder so that it was the only file not in its own artist folder and used the '.' still didn't work.
Hell, I even tried using a '/' instead of the '\' to separate folders in some of the files.

And now, I want to throw both my hard drive and the WDTV out the fracking window.

I feel like a complete and utter dimwit.  Can someone spell this out for me in a slower and louder font?

All my music is located in two folders which are accessed straight from the top folder tree, they are My Music and Alexis Music.
Everything else within those folders are Artist\Album\Track.

simmer down ;)

Code: [Select]
.directory you're in / where file is located.

..parent directory / one level up

/directory seperator

\escape character delimiter

if you have a playlist on O: and there is a sub directory called 'My Music' its possible that the error is the space in your dir name. the space is a special character and must be escaped when used on the console.

if
./My Music/artist/title/trackdoesn't work then try
./My\ Music/artist/title/track
so understand? every track's location is relative to the playlist file.

if you had the playlists in My Music\My Playlists then it'd look like:
../artist/title/trackfor parent dir then artist...

the pos is windows for breaking away from all standard conventions for filesystem/character sequences/parameters & notations way back when. Thats something that doesn't really need to be gotten into though;)

April 04, 2009, 02:56:59 PM
Reply #27

Pennhaven

Parallax,

Really sorry I haven't been able to help you yet. I totally understand and share your frustration. I'll try to write something up for you tomorrow (unless someone else does first!) I'm watching NCAA basketball playoffs this evening.

One thing to consider in the mean time. Most of the testing I reported on today was from the folder view, not the playlist viee. It could be the that the paths that work from the folder view don't work from the playlist view. Is that how you have been trying to run them?

April 04, 2009, 03:03:40 PM
Reply #28

ParallaxView

I have been running them from the playlist view, not the folder view.
Maybe I'll try that tomorrow, when my urge to kill is fading...
fading...
fading...
RISING...
fading...

I'll also see what I can do with the info b-rad posted as well.

I'm done - hope your team does well!

April 04, 2009, 03:26:22 PM
Reply #29

Pennhaven

One other thought. Your playlists need to use both upper and lower place characters exactly as they appear in the folder and file names of your music. I started with playlists from my mp3 player and they were all lower case. Just one of the reasons they didn't work for me on the WDTV.