Author Topic: Can't get Playlists to work  (Read 29939 times)

April 01, 2009, 10:42:36 AM
Read 29939 times

ParallaxView

I just got the unit set up and I can't figure out why I can't get my playlists to work on it.
I created them on my computer and copied them to my hard drive.  When I select one, it tells me the folder is empty.
I know the folders that are referenced in the playlist exist on the hard drive, and WDC support told me that the playlist needs to exist in the folder where the music resides (I tried that and it didn't work)

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

April 01, 2009, 01:25:45 PM
Reply #1

Autumnsboy

I initially had a similar problem when my playlists were basically pointing to files on my computer rather than on my portable hard drive (WD Passport).  The playlists then didn't work when they were separated from my computer (connected to the WD Media Player).  The playlist couldn't find the files on the Passport.

My solution?  I connected my Passport to my work laptop which didn't have any music.  I set up Windows Media Player to include files from the Passport and generated my playlists directly from the Passport.  Now the playlists work fine, except that they don't play in the order I want them to, like they do directy from the computer with Windows Media Player or WinAmp.

April 02, 2009, 03:39:51 AM
Reply #2

ParallaxView

I figured as much.  Thanks for the info!  I am going to try it tonight.

April 02, 2009, 01:28:32 PM
Reply #3

ParallaxView

OK, I am going to lose my mind on this one.

I created a playlist using items from the external drive.  But when I connect it to the HDTV, and select the playlist it says the folder is empty.
I believe it is because the path in the playlist is still incorrect.

How does the HDTV identify itself when you declare the path?
In other words, what is the drive letter and root folder for the unit?

Is it c:\USB2\... or what? (if I am using the USB2 connection, naturally)

April 02, 2009, 03:23:08 PM
Reply #4

Pennhaven

I've also had a lot of trouble getting music playlists to work. But I finally had success today. I am now able to get wpl (Windows) format playlists to work. I had no success with .pls or .m3u playlist formats. The other tricky part, as mentioned here, is getting the path name correct.

I found it has to be \\drivename\foldername[\subfoldername...]\trackname.mp3

I don't use external portable drives connected directed by USB, instead I am using Zorander's modified firmware with a USB eithernet adapter to access media over my LAN. When setting up the firmware it allows me to name the mounted network attached storage drive share whatever I want. This is the name I use as the "drivename" in the above example. If you are attaching a drive directly by USB as is normally done with the official firmware, I expect your "drivename" is assigned by the WDTV and this is the name you must include in the playlist path name. You should be able to determine this drivename by looking at the folder view of you music.

I would suggest manually editing your playlist files using a text editor with search/replace capability and experimenting with the path names along the lines I've described.

I almost forgot to mention I am using Zorander's 0.9 release which is based on the official 1.02 firmware which was recently preleased.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:28:37 PM by Pennhaven »

April 02, 2009, 03:35:35 PM
Reply #5

Pennhaven

...continuing my previous post. (Gee. The edit/modify window closes quickly - can that be changed, moderator, so a post can be corrected or updated?  DONE {MOD}) possibly the correct playlist path format for a user connecting a drive normally is simply: \\USB1[2]\foldername[\subfoldername...]\trackname.mp3. :)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:17:23 PM by jayallan »

April 03, 2009, 07:53:35 AM
Reply #6

andy13870

I also had some problems with playlists that said that the folder was empty, though I am pretty sure I was doing it right.

I don't know if the firmware upgrade the other day had anything to do with it (or it was just me), but I've just recreated my playlists (using Winamp and in m3u and pls formats and with a mix of songs in mp3, flac and wav) with the actual playlist files located in different folder locations on the hard-disk and they all play no problem!

I've also updated previsouly created playlists and they also play fine.

8)

April 03, 2009, 09:07:37 AM
Reply #7

Pennhaven

I also had some problems with playlists that said that the folder was empty, though I am pretty sure I was doing it right.

I don't know if the firmware upgrade the other day had anything to do with it (or it was just me), but I've just recreated my playlists (using Winamp and in m3u and pls formats and with a mix of songs in mp3, flac and wav) with the actual playlist files located in different folder locations on the hard-disk and they all play no problem!

I've also updated previsouly created playlists and they also play fine.

Andy,
That's good to hear. Doesn't explain why .m3u and .pls aren't working for me though. Must be something I'm doing wrong, or how mine were originally created. It would be very helpful if you could use a text editor to copy and paste some samples of your working playlists here so we can see how the paths are set up.
Thx!

April 03, 2009, 11:08:12 AM
Reply #8

CappyD

It would be very helpful if you could use a text editor to copy and paste some samples of your working playlists here so we can see how the paths are set up.
Thx!

I second that.  And Pennhaven, if you would be so kind as to do the same with one of your .wpl playlist files, maybe I can finally put together a playlist that actually plays the tracks in the order I want.  Thanks!

April 03, 2009, 11:58:44 AM
Reply #9

Pennhaven

It would be very helpful if you could use a text editor to copy and paste some samples of your working playlists here so we can see how the paths are set up.
Thx!

I second that.  And Pennhaven, if you would be so kind as to do the same with one of your .wpl playlist files, maybe I can finally put together a playlist that actually plays the tracks in the order I want.  Thanks!

You're not going to be happy, Cappy. :'(
Contrary to my post in the other thread, it appears I was wrong about my .wpl playlists playing in the correct order. They are actually playing in track number order, which I believe is also what you reported. Sorry. I could have sworn they were playing in the correct order, but now I am unable to duplicate that result! ???  :-[

I also was finally able to get a .m3u playlist to play but also not in the correct order. My original m3u lists were created on my mp3 player, and were apparently not formatted properly. I created an m3u list with Windows Media Player (save as m3u) and it works.

I am getting ready to test a .pls list created with different software, so will so see if I can get those "working" in some order.

April 03, 2009, 12:53:49 PM
Reply #10

Pennhaven

Well I am now able to get a .pls playlist to play. The reason I could not was an incorrectly formatted file - once again. But just like my m3u and wpl playlists the pls list will not play in the assigned order, rather it plays in track number order, which is actually alphanumeric order, as in my case all my track names include the track number as a prefix.

CappyD, I checked your post in the 1.02 firmware experience thread and you state your play lists are playing in alphanumeric order, not track number order. Also you state this is the case when playing an album from a folder.

I think my experience confirms this, except in my case albums do play in track number order - but only because the track number is the first part of the track name! So it looks like the WDTV ignores track number tags and is only capable of sorting by track name. Not too sophisticated! ::)

I also found that if I try to use folder view to navigate to my playlists, I will always get an empty folder message when I try to play a playlist. This is clearly a bug IMO. The firmware should be smart enough to know what a playlist is when it finds one in a folder. We shouldn't necessarily have to use the playlist view to play playlists. :(

So, bottom line is it looks like there are still plenty of holes in this area of functionality with release 1.02.

April 03, 2009, 02:18:34 PM
Reply #11

ParallaxView

I really appreciate all the help that is being offered here.  If only WDC were this helpful.
However...

I just tried the suggestion where I changed the path to \\USB2\... and that doesn't work either.
CappyD suggested a sample playlist pasted into a reply.  I beg someone to do this, please!

April 03, 2009, 03:01:15 PM
Reply #12

Pennhaven

I really appreciate all the help that is being offered here.  If only WDC were this helpful.
However...
I just tried the suggestion where I changed the path to \\USB2\... and that doesn't work either.
CappyD suggested a sample playlist pasted into a reply.  I beg someone to do this, please!

Working Playlists (But note that I am connecting via a LAN, not directly via USB, so where I have a drive named
"media" you would substitute whatever the WDTV is labling your drive as.)

Quote from: .wpl
<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
    <head>
        <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 11.0.6001.7004"/>
        <meta name="AverageRating" content="54"/>
        <meta name="TotalDuration" content="1877"/>
        <meta name="ItemCount" content="7"/>
        <author/>
        <title>Sorrow</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <seq>
            <media src="\\media\Audio\Neil Young &amp; Crazy Horse\Ragged Glory\08 - Days That Used To Be.mp3" tid="{8280E65F-38F9-4FE0-89D5-5F81EDDAD123}"/>
            <media src="\\media\Audio\Neil Young &amp; Crazy Horse\Weld\02_08 - Roll Another Number.mp3" tid="{D20099B6-A326-42BB-99FA-CC2F21E9E641}"/>
            <media src="\\media\Audio\Nick Lowe\Untouched Takeaway\10_What&apos;s So Funny &apos;Bout Peace, Love And Understanding.mp3" tid="{BBBED9F7-594C-4F23-9E2B-D0081A919244}"/>
            <media src="\\media\Audio\Neil Young &amp; Crazy Horse\Weld\01_03 - Blowin&apos; In The Wind.mp3" tid="{231A5EEA-910E-4BE6-AC46-4E8499EC38BC}"/>
            <media src="\\media\Audio\Neil Young\Freedom\11 - Too Far Gone.mp3" tid="{25745659-0999-49CA-A7A2-253F6849A335}"/>
            <media src="\\media\Audio\Crosby, Stills, Nash &amp; Young\Looking Forward\02 - Looking Forward.mp3" tid="{709D41E7-3C37-4A96-8B55-A47D487E194D}"/>
            <media src="\\media\Audio\Carly Simon\Have You Seen Me Lately-\04 - Life Is Eternal.mp3" tid="{F76494DA-FD67-40A1-BF8A-ACF234C4947E}"/>
        </seq>
    </body>
</smil>

Quote from: .m3u
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,08 - Days That Used To Be.mp3
\\media\Audio\Neil Young & Crazy Horse\Ragged Glory\08 - Days That Used To Be.mp3

#EXTINF:0,02_08 - Roll Another Number.mp3
\\media\Audio\Neil Young & Crazy Horse\Weld\02_08 - Roll Another Number.mp3

#EXTINF:0,10_What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love And Understanding.mp3
\\media\Audio\Nick Lowe\Untouched Takeaway\10_What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love And Understanding.mp3

#EXTINF:0,01_03 - Blowin' In The Wind.mp3
\\media\Audio\Neil Young & Crazy Horse\Weld\01_03 - Blowin' In The Wind.mp3

#EXTINF:0,11 - Too Far Gone.mp3
\\media\Audio\Neil Young\Freedom\11 - Too Far Gone.mp3

#EXTINF:0,02 - Looking Forward.mp3
\\media\Audio\Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young\Looking Forward\02 - Looking Forward.mp3

#EXTINF:0,04 - Life Is Eternal.mp3
\\media\Audio\Carly Simon\Have You Seen Me Lately-\04 - Life Is Eternal.mp3

Quote from: .pls
[playlist]
File1=\\media\Audio\Neil Young & Crazy Horse\Ragged Glory\08 - Days That Used To Be.mp3
Title1=08 - Days That Used To Be
File2=\\media\Audio\Neil Young & Crazy Horse\Weld\02_08 - Roll Another Number.mp3
Title2=02_08 - Roll Another Number
File3=\\media\Audio\Nick Lowe\Untouched Takeaway\10_What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love And Understanding.mp3
Title3=10_What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love And Understanding
File4=\\media\Audio\Neil Young & Crazy Horse\Weld\01_03 - Blowin' In The Wind.mp3
Title4=01_03 - Blowin' In The Wind
File5=\\media\Audio\Neil Young\Freedom\11 - Too Far Gone.mp3
Title5=11 - Too Far Gone
File6=\\media\Audio\Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young\Looking Forward\02 - Looking Forward.mp3
Title6=02 - Looking Forward
File7=\\media\Audio\Carly Simon\Have You Seen Me Lately-\04 - Life Is Eternal.mp3
Title7=04 - Life Is Eternal
NumberOfEntries=7
Version=2

April 03, 2009, 03:43:09 PM
Reply #13

ParallaxView

AARRRGGHHHHH!!!  I still can't get this to f---ing work!

Here is my mpl file in its entirety:

<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
    <head>
        <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 11.0.6001.7000"/>
        <meta name="AverageRating" content="65"/>
        <meta name="TotalDuration" content="907"/>
        <meta name="ItemCount" content="4"/>
        <title>SampleTest1</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <seq>
            <media src="\\USB2\My Music\Yes\90125\It Can Happen.wma" cid="{FF2995C8-A493-4382-B6BD-69318381E79A}" tid="{6E34B6D9-A0F5-4961-B4E8-99AA17693FF7}"/>
            <media src="\\USB2\My Music\Frank Sinatra\16 Most Requested Songs\All Or Nothing At All.wma"/>
            <media src="\\USB2\My Music\White Zombie\Astro-Creep_ 2000\Super-Charger Heaven.wma"/>
            <media src="\\USB2\Alexis Music\Michael Bublé\Call Me Irresponsible\01 The Best Is Yet to Come.wma"/>
        </seq>
    </body>
</smil>

This file itself is in a folder called My Music\My Playlists.

I put the \\USB2 part in myself.  And I plugged it into the USB2 port.  I still get the damned folder empty message!

I created the playlist in windows media player (as you can see) and the only thing I changed was the original letter on the media src sections (which happened to be O:\).  Nothing else was modified.

then, I created a .PLS file using the format that was pasted below, that didn't work either.
At first I was frustrated, now I am getting to the point where I want to set this thing on fire.

Someone point out to me what stupid thing I am doing wrong, please.

April 03, 2009, 04:28:07 PM
Reply #14

Pennhaven

ParallaxView,

Try navigating through the Music Folders and note the name of the first folder(s) presented. Mine are media, and UPnP as assigned by the firmware. If yours is "USB2" select it and see if there is another folder name under that before you get to "My Music"

If there is try substituting that name for USB2 in the playlist or inserting it after "USB2/". One or the other should work.

If there is no other drive name besides "USB2" then I have no idea why its not working as logically it should be.