Author Topic: Subtitles not visible for MKV ripped from blu-ray discs  (Read 10051 times)

April 26, 2011, 12:55:39 AM
Read 10051 times

lucyone52

My aim was to get my blu-rays and DVDs ripped onto a 3TB WD elements desktop and play them with a WD TV Live Plus like the original discs. I had been researching and jumping on forums for a best way achieving this goal, finally I decided that MakeMKV was pretty much what I was looking for.

The mkv files turned to run well on my WD TV Live Plus with stunning picture and 5.1 sound. What’s annoying is blu-ray subtitles. I can see subtitles when I play these mkv files on computer, I can see subtitles. However, when play them with WD TV, there’s not subtitles at all. I ripped 3 blu-rays to MKV and they have all the same problem.

Anyway, WD TV plays my DVD movies just fine with subtitles. Why? I was told that WD TV plays bluray subtitles, but obviously it doesn’t work for my box. Should I return my WD TV Live Plus back for a new one? or is it a problem for all WD TV boxes? How do I get mkv subtitles displayed correctly?

My wife is Spanish and we absolutely need subtitles. If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated.

April 26, 2011, 01:12:55 AM
Reply #1

Richard01

I don’t think WD TV plays blu-ray subtitles. Blu-rays are copy-protected and should not be played on any devices other than Blu-ray player. This must be a common issue.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:16:40 PM by Richard01 »

April 28, 2011, 01:18:38 AM
Reply #2

Sweety

Let me tell you why it plays no subtitles. Blu-ray discs use PGS as subtitle format, but WD TV has not yet support PGS in MKV. So all you need is to change the subtitles to something WD TV can read. As far as I know, the fastest and easiest way is to use pavtube bytecopy - it rips Blu-ray to MKV and meanwhile converts .SUP to VOBSUB. Works well for me at least.

Find a WD TV subtitle guide at
http://www.pavtube.com/guide/enjoy-blu-ray-movies-on-hdtv-with-wd-tv-live-plus-hd-media%20player.html

Hope it helps.  ;)

April 28, 2011, 09:04:26 PM
Reply #3

Benjamin

Hum… seems a new release. So it does everything makemkv does? And still convert subtitles? If so it should be a most comfortable bd ripper. 

June 27, 2011, 03:01:28 PM
Reply #4

JustMike

Blu Ray subtitles are in pgs format. The procedure to incorporate them into an mkv using freeware:
TsMuxer - demux the pgs subtitles as .sup files
BDsup2sub - converts the .sup files to paired .sub and .idx files
MkvMerge: merge the idx (drags in the subs) with the mkv file.

July 16, 2012, 03:49:53 PM
Reply #5

wizball

wdhdtvlive does not recognise 3tb hdds

subtitles.. is another thing

May 07, 2013, 01:09:13 PM
Reply #6

Solitaire

I found that, with all default settings, I just "remuxed" (I think it's called) the MKV file with MKVtoolnix (MKVmerge) and they started working.
1. Download MKVtoolnix
2. Start MKVmerge
3. Add the MKV you want to have subtitles working (they need to have PGS subs)
4. Klick "Start muxing"
5. Done.

June 19, 2013, 01:03:19 AM
Reply #7

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
WDTV does show PGS subtitles from Blu-Rays, they simply need to be compressed with zlib which MKVToolnix do by default. If you rip with MakeMKV simply use the WDTV profile.