Author Topic: WD TV starts up, shows the 1rst screen then crashes trying to initiate  (Read 3557 times)

April 22, 2011, 03:44:24 PM
Read 3557 times

fgtan

Hy Guys.
My WDTV, starts.

it does show the first screen with the logo in my TV.

But when it should go to the functions screen, it crashes and the image gets black...also, I just cannot restart it throught the remote control, only taking off the power cord.

Tryed resetin it through the side button, but nothing happened and the problem persists.

Anyone could help out?

Anything else to be done?  Other types of resets? ??? ??? ???

July 06, 2012, 02:56:46 PM
Reply #1

madhopz

July 28, 2012, 03:07:15 PM
Reply #2

fresh00

I am definitely no computer expert and a complete noob but I tried to update my WDTV Gen 2 to fix my audio sync problems. After finding my box was on the latest firmware already I followed the instructions on Roman's Tech Help to add some custom firmware. Inserted my USB and installed the firmware. When it rebooted the screen froze on the screen with the logo. I waited ages and decided it wasnt working. I then found Roman's guide to restoring http://romanstechhelp.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/how-to-restore-your-wdtv-to-factory.html which fixed my box back to the standard version. Not to be deterred I tried again with the custom firmware and the same thing happened. This time I took a different approach.  On the frozen logo screen I pulled the power out the back of the WDTV unit and then plugged it back in with the USB stick still in the drive. The box came up with a dodgy looking screen (i forget what it said exactly but red writing in many languages saying something about inserting/loading firmware) this time I just left it on that screen with the USB plugged in. After a few seconds it reset again and this time it loaded the custom firmware...problem solved! My only issue now is I have no idea what this firmware does. Can anyone post me a link or tell me what this B-rad firmware is all about, tried searching and found loads of technical jargon but no simple explanation as to benefits of this custom firmware? I hoped it might be able to fix my audio sync problems but unfortunately not. What exactly does it do? Although the layout is different it seems to just have the same functions.