Author Topic: WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2) won't play  (Read 7703 times)

April 20, 2011, 08:01:27 AM
Read 7703 times

Tyson

I've been playing all my 720p & 1080p movies with my Western Digital TV HD Media Player (Gen 2) for the longest time now and for the last few days, none of the newer releases will play. I rebooted (unplug power supply) for long periods of time, Factory Reset, reformatted my drives ... you name it and nothing works. I tried several movies that I watched a few weeks ago and they all work fine. There's about 6 movies I got in the last week and those don't play. They show on the menu, push play and all it does is show the circle bar going round and round. Are new movies coded different?

The last firmware was from 2009 so it does have the latest firmware.

Anyone else with this problem?  ???

Thanks in advance.

April 21, 2011, 12:24:16 AM
Reply #1

dione1200

I Have the same problem in the last week or so. The new files don't play.
If they don't release a new firmware that resolves this issue then this player will be useless.

April 21, 2011, 05:26:46 AM
Reply #2

Tyson

Well, I found the problem and fixed it. The problem is the mkv file. Unfortunately, WD will not take the steps to fix this so....

Download MKV Toolkit and remux the file, only takes bout 2 mins, WD media player as issue with some types of mkv.

Download mkv toolkit, inside there should be mkvmerge GUI.; the one I have is 4.6.0.
1) Hit the ADD button

2) Select the movie you want

3) Click a track, make sure it has check mark and put mouse curser over the track, click once to high-lite in blue.

4) Click the Extra Options tab in Compressions, select "none".

5) Click the second track & do the same as above.

6) Make sure the output filename is going to the correct folder and perhaps rename the new mkv file to something else...

7) Click Start Muxing

8) Reboot WD by unplugging power for at least 10 seconds and enjoy the movie. 

I did several and all worked good.

I had a hard time finding MKV Toolkit so if you can't find it, send me a pm and I'll give you a download link..... it's a freeware. I can post the link here if it's allowed?

April 21, 2011, 11:42:53 PM
Reply #3

dione1200

Thanks for the info.
I was using MKV Toolkit in the past for files that didn't work. I was just wondering why all files I got in the last days didn't work. It seems the answer is that header compression (the thing that the player has trouble with) is ON by default in the latest version of MKV Toolkit and you have to disable it manually.
I guess we have to do this for all .mkv files from now on...