Author Topic: "Network share cannot be accessed"  (Read 8831 times)

April 09, 2011, 11:50:08 AM
Read 8831 times

kbknigon

Hello, until recently my WD TV Live has been streaming media from my Windows 7 PC just fine. However, just today it started giving me the "network share cannot be accessed". I changed nothing on the computer or on the network. I'm afraid to mess with my sharing settings (other than screwing with permissions to no effect) because it took me forever to tinker with them to get this working in the first place. If anyone could help me troubleshoot this thing, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

April 19, 2011, 06:26:55 PM
Reply #1

kipper58

I've had a similar problem with network shares not working consistently (master browser related - search for that). After many hours of trying to work out what was wrong, I gave up and switched to Tversity Media Server http://tversity.com/, and I have not had an issue since, except for the one below. And it's free (although I bought the Pro version to stream to iPods for the kids).

If you do go down this path, you need to follow the instructions in this link. I had a video last night that had no sound and reduced resolution. This was because it was being transcoded for the wrong device, rather than streamed. This solution fixed it.  http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51636  

April 20, 2011, 02:26:00 AM
Reply #2

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

June 08, 2012, 11:36:53 AM
Reply #3

blimfark

If you're using a NAS or PC, check the firewall on that machine itself; try turning it off temporarily and seeing if that enables you to connect. I wish I could tell you specifically what ports to open, but I'm still working on that myself. I also wish I knew what log file would give a more detailed error than "Network share cannot be accessed."