Author Topic: MKV - DTS to AC3 Audio Convertor For Mac?  (Read 36757 times)

April 29, 2009, 11:15:49 AM
Read 36757 times

Shake

Anyone know of such a program? It's getting real old having my roommate do it.
Thanks Everyone

April 29, 2009, 03:32:08 PM
Reply #1

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Hi,

http://www.mymediadelivered.com/2008/07/how-to-convert-your-mkv-dts-audio-to-ac3-on-the-mac-for-apple-tv/ describes one way that works.
If you are well versed with the command line / *nix part of Mac OS X you can also use mkvdtstoac3. It requires some command line tools, but they are all available for Mac OS X.

ciao,
elm

May 06, 2009, 10:02:59 AM
Reply #2

Dnice786r

I also have a mac,I use handbrake to convert DTS .I do not like spending extra time doing this.My point is why cant this feature(DTS) be added to WDTV with just a firmware update.

February 22, 2010, 12:18:16 AM
Reply #3

oposky2006

well, i think pavtube mkv converter is a better choice to deal with such problem. it can convert dts to ac3 without quality loss. and the audio-video sync can be guaranteed

November 16, 2010, 08:24:16 PM
Reply #4

oudinmelanie09

If you want to set output audio channel option to 5.1, you should choose AC3 or AAC as audio encoder. So many people think MKV DTS to AC3 is a nightmare. No, itís not so terrible any more. Convert MKV DTS to AC3, convert DTS to AC3 in mkv, convert MKV with DTS sound to AC3 with 5.1 channels is so easy if you owns such a powerful MKV DTS to AC3 Converter, Aunsoft MKV Converter is the recommended program which allows to you convert any types of MKV files like MKV DTS, MKV FLAC to AC3, AAC with 5.1 channels, and still keep its good quality.

http://www.aunsoft.com/mkv_dts_to_ac3_converter_convert_mkv_with_dts_sound_to_ac3_with_51_channels/

March 04, 2011, 07:43:30 AM
Reply #5

ioanniskar

I've posted a tutorial for this conversion on my website.
It's in Greek but I think you can understand from the pictures.

http://www.tapandfun.com/tutorials/convert-dts-to-ac3-from-mkv-on-mac/

April 01, 2011, 02:04:11 AM
Reply #6

niceemily

Thanks Everyone

i use bigasoft total video converter for mac
Bigasoft Total Video Converter for Mac, the professional and easy-to-use Mac video converter, is specially designed for Mac users to easily convert between various video formats including MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI, MPEG, Xvid, DivX, H.264, 3GP, WMV, FLV, MOD, TOD, WebM, VP8, 720p, 1080p, 1080i HD, AVCHD videos and more, rip between various audio formats including APE, MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA, and even extract audio from movie files.

Moreover, the powerful Mac movie converter is equipped with more advanced features, which can help you preview the movie before converting, capture images when preview, rip any movie segment, crop the video black margin, automatically shut down the computer after conversion, convert files in batch mode, merge movies, and more.

Fans are no longer restricted to playing certain files with specific players. Convert any video files to multimedia files compatible with popular digital devices such as iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, BlackBerry, PSP, PS3, Pocket PC, Creative Zen, Xbox, Archos, and so on. And it supports converting various video to iMovie supported video for import to iMovie for edit.

Find this ideal software at
http://www.bigasoft.com/total-video-converter-mac.html

April 11, 2011, 03:32:44 AM
Reply #7

azurabena

There is a really helpful article about converting mkv dts to ac3 on mac os x, it helps me convert successfully.
http://www.dts-to-ac3.com/2011/03/mac-dts-to-ac3-converter-convert-mkv-dts-to-ac3-on-mac-without-quality-loss/

April 11, 2011, 06:54:34 PM
Reply #8

nicejane

Thanks Everyone

i use bigasoft total video converter for mac
Bigasoft Total Video Converter for Mac, the professional and easy-to-use Mac video converter, is specially designed for Mac users to easily convert between various video formats including MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI, MPEG, Xvid, DivX, H.264, 3GP, WMV, FLV, MOD, TOD, WebM, VP8, 720p, 1080p, 1080i HD, AVCHD videos and more, rip between various audio formats including APE, MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA, and even extract audio from movie files.

Moreover, the powerful Mac movie converter is equipped with more advanced features, which can help you preview the movie before converting, capture images when preview, rip any movie segment, crop the video black margin, automatically shut down the computer after conversion, convert files in batch mode, merge movies, and more.

Fans are no longer restricted to playing certain files with specific players. Convert any video files to multimedia files compatible with popular digital devices such as iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, BlackBerry, PSP, PS3, Pocket PC, Creative Zen, Xbox, Archos, and so on. And it supports converting various video to iMovie supported video for import to iMovie for edit.

Find this ideal software at
http://www.bigasoft.com/total-video-converter-mac.html

thanks for sharing this great info, and it really works great on my mac
and i wonder if it has windows version, i will get one for my sister who use windows

May 04, 2011, 01:13:51 AM
Reply #9

niceemily

you can find windows version of bigasoft total video converter at http://www.bigasoft.com/total-video-converter.html

August 07, 2011, 04:00:54 PM
Reply #10

marcomanso

Hi: a way to convert DTS to AC3 from MKV that doesn't imply converting video (nor buying tools nor running XP...) is as follows: Use ffmpeg and then Mkvtoolnix

1. FIRST use ffmpeg to extract and convert audio. You must use command line. A way to do it is:

ffmpeg -i <INPUT_video_filename> -map 0:1 -acodec ac3 -ab 320k -ac 6 <OUTPUT_audio_filename>.ac3

Some explanation:
-i refers to input file
-map refer to audio channel to convert (0:1 is the first audio channel)
-acodec refers to audio codec of the output file (ac3 is a fine one)
-ab refers to bitrate (320k is OK)
-ac refers to number of audio channels (6=5.1)

2. THEN use Mkvtoolnix: it has a graphical interface so it should be easy. Just select video file, audio file (the one you converted), set the output_filename and select 'Start muxing'

DONE.

Regards,
M.

February 29, 2012, 08:20:06 AM
Reply #11

elvera

Thanks for offering the free method. For those who are not computer wizz and want easy way on how to convert mkv with dts audio to mkv ac3 in order to play mkv on LG or Samsung smart TV, the following article will help:
http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-convert-mkv-dts-to-mkv-ac3.html

Hi: a way to convert DTS to AC3 from MKV that doesn't imply converting video (nor buying tools nor running XP...) is as follows: Use ffmpeg and then Mkvtoolnix

1. FIRST use ffmpeg to extract and convert audio. You must use command line. A way to do it is:

ffmpeg -i <INPUT_video_filename> -map 0:1 -acodec ac3 -ab 320k -ac 6 <OUTPUT_audio_filename>.ac3

Some explanation:
-i refers to input file
-map refer to audio channel to convert (0:1 is the first audio channel)
-acodec refers to audio codec of the output file (ac3 is a fine one)
-ab refers to bitrate (320k is OK)
-ac refers to number of audio channels (6=5.1)

2. THEN use Mkvtoolnix: it has a graphical interface so it should be easy. Just select video file, audio file (the one you converted), set the output_filename and select 'Start muxing'

DONE.

Regards,
M.

May 09, 2014, 01:46:05 AM
Reply #12

frafaint

DTS (Digital Theater Systems) and Dolby Digital (AC-3) are the two most famous audio codec used in professional cinema and home theater system to record and play back multi-channel high-definition audio.

Here is an easy way to convert DTS to AC3 on mac to hepl you.

This way also applies to convert DTS to MP3, WAV, AAC, Flac, etc and MP3, WAV, AAC, Flac, etc to DTS.

July 24, 2014, 12:47:56 AM
Reply #13

winiehappy

You may try iDealshare VideoGo which is a powerful DTS Converter and has both Mac version and Windows version.

Key Feature:
    Convert DTS audio to other audio formats like converting DTS to AC3, WAV, AAC, MP3, MP2, FLAC, AIFF, WMA, OGG, APE, M4A, AU and etc.
    Convert video with DTS audio to video with AC3, AAC, MP2, PCM, or WMA audio like convert MKV DTS to MKV AC3/MP3/MP2/PCM, convert AVI DTS to AVI MP3, and etc.
    Convert to DTS digital surround audio from WAV, AC3, FLAC, APE, PCM, AIFF, OGG, WMA, M4A, and Apple Lossless.
    Convert video with non DTS audio codec to video with DTS codec files.

Step by step guide on how to convert MKV DTS to AC3 at  http://www.idealshare.net/dts-converter.html