Author Topic: Usage as web server  (Read 2505 times)

March 02, 2011, 07:53:39 AM
Read 2505 times

adam

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a WDTV Live in order to use it as a web server. Is it possible? What should I be aware of? What kind of possible problems could I meet?

I think that I can connect an external hard drive, a USB-connected 240GB hard disk and use a custom firmware. Can I manage then through a login via ssh/telnet and set up and use an Apache Web Server?

It would be the nicest to use a custom Apache. However, if it's not possible for some reason, it would also do if only I could use it as a storage. My purpose is to store large files cheap, and to be accessible all the time. That's why I thought to buy a WDTV Live in my flat, because it is silent and is able to function as a web server.

Am I right? Should I buy it?

Thanks for all the answers in advance,
Adam

March 02, 2011, 10:36:20 AM
Reply #1

KAD

• WDLXTV Eye Candy OSD
well, I'm probably not the best to answer, but I can confirm a couple of things for you

is it possible to use as a webserver? as in a website? or just on your local network? both are likely possible, in fact the WDLXTV firmwares already include a version of apache to run the WDLXTV web front end used for configuring settings, but depending on the type of website and usage and availability to outside networks that your website requires, you may need to recompile apache yourself

so it really depends on what you're doing

KAD

March 15, 2011, 12:51:36 AM
Reply #2

adam

Thanks your answer a lot, it sounds nice.

I would like to use it as a website (so, not on local network only). If it works all right, I would consider to use Perl/PHP/MySQL also, and use it instead of my current web hosting, and pay for the domain name only. So I would like to use some additional features also.

But how is it with the "usage and availaility" you wrote about? Basically I don't plan to have a lot of visitors, but who knows... Why would I need to recompile Apache depending on the number of visitors? And how should I do it?

Can I rely on the WDTV hardware to function as a web server? Will I notice any kind of limitations compared to my previous hosting?

June 21, 2013, 10:55:05 PM
Reply #3

elizabeththomas

• private cloud hosting
Hi,
I am connected through private cloud hosting, can I still use WDTV server?
Thanks in advance.