Author Topic: A quick query from a newbie (nothing too taxing)!  (Read 2206 times)

February 21, 2011, 09:47:23 AM
Read 2206 times

lennon55

Hi

I am rocking the WDBABF0000NBK model.

I can get .jpg images for the movie folder - for instance 127 hours has a nice movie artwork jpg. However, the file above that, AKA the MOVIES folder (where I keep my movies rather than TV shows etc!) I cannot put a picture on this folder? Is that definitive, or can I do that some how.

It is a pain when you have a TV series with more than one season, such as The Wire. Each season has artwork but The Wire folder that I house it in doesn't.

Any help? or is it just a bummer?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:53:37 AM by lennon55 »

February 22, 2011, 01:05:04 AM
Reply #1

franks

• DeSpammer

All you need to do is create an image and  name it "folder.jpg" and then place it in the appropriate folder and it should display. And by "folder", I'm not using that word as a placeholder where you substitute the name of the folder. The name of the file really needs to be folder.jpg and you can have a file with said name in each folder you have on your media drive.

February 22, 2011, 05:15:26 AM
Reply #2

lennon55

Hi, thanks for your speedy response.

I have tried this folder.jpg but with no success. Does this apply to the root folders? I read somewhere that the WDTV doesn't show image art for the top 'rung' of folders?

The situation is this. I have a WD TV Gen 2 (not WD TV Live, if that makes a difference?). I am not running any custom firmware. It is the same as when it came out of the box!

I have copied a suitable jpeg that I want to represent my 'MOVIES' folder and pasted it into the folder, labelling it Folder.jpg (does this have to be higher or lower case?) This doesn't show up though? Same for TV shows etc.

Can I definitely do this on a non custom firmware gen 2 WDTV? Any pointers to make sure it works, sort of like an idiots, idiots, idiots guide?!!!

Where is the best place to get thumbs that will work, do they have to be a certain size etc to work properly?

Folders are as follows (the ones in bold HAVE artwork):

USB 2 ---> TV SHOWS ---> Entourage ---> Season 1 etc

your help is appreciated

cheers
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:19:31 PM by lennon55 »

February 22, 2011, 04:59:10 PM
Reply #3

franks

• DeSpammer

I don't have a Generation 2. I have both an original WDTV and the WDTV Live. I cannot imagine that the WDTV Gen 2 would be different as far as displaying folder.jpg files.

I have my videos set up as root/movies/ then I have alphabetical subfolders. I have an image of a movie reel and film as my folder.jpg image for my movie folder, then I made folder.jpg files for each of my alphabetical subfolders.

Then for my TV shows, I have root/TV/series name/season.  I have a folder.jpg in the TV folder of a television, then I have a folder.jpg for each series and each season. I use all lowercase letters for filenames.

Also, if you have a folder without a folder.jpg file, the WDTV should display the first jpg in the directory as the folder image. So if you have multiple movies in a directory, the first movie's jpg should be shown for the folder.

Hopefully someone with a Gen 2 will chime in, but I just can't imagine that they would change this protocol between the Gen 1 and Gen 2.

February 23, 2011, 05:33:38 AM
Reply #4

lennon55

Thanks for your response Franks

This sounds exactly like I have tried, without success. I did however save the jpg as Folder.jpg (capital F) so I will try lower case. Is their any criteria as to what size/resolution etc jpg you can use?

Anyone with a Gen 2 who can help?

cheers

February 24, 2011, 05:21:21 AM
Reply #5

lennon55

Hey, nice one your advice has worked and I can now display art work for each folder (other than the USB2 one, any ideas?)

My next question(s) is this:

1 - Does the gen 2 (standard, not live) have movie sheet capability, and if so please could you point me in the direction of a guide.

2 - Where are you getting the best jpgs to use as file icons? Is there a size or resolution they need to be to look good on my TV?

3 - What does 'preview mode' do? Can it show short trailer size vids of each film? How do I do this?

Sorry to ask more questions, those are the last ones though I promise!!!!

cheers everyone

February 25, 2011, 09:02:04 PM
Reply #6

franks

• DeSpammer

All WDTV players require custom firmware to display movie sheets. Here's a link to a discussion of firmware for the Generation 2:  http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=4593.0

If you are using your WDTV with factory firmware, the best resolution for jpgs is 120 by 180.

As for finding jpgs, there are a number of programs that can automate the process and get the images from the best sources. ThumbGen is probably the most popular. It can also make your movie sheets. If you go into the WDTV Live forums for Homebrew, you will find reference to a couple other programs that have been under development. One that I have been doing some testing on can be found in this thread:

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=8018.0

Not sure about the preview mode. I think you set it in set up menu and then the WDTV just plays a loop from the movie from some random point.

February 26, 2011, 04:35:22 AM
Reply #7

lennon55

Cheers Franks, always a big help

I will try the custom firmware on the link you gave me.