Author Topic: (un)official list of compatible external hdd's/enclosures? i keep striking out!  (Read 3054 times)

May 18, 2009, 08:54:57 PM
Read 3054 times

SteelPulse

perhaps i don't want to buy a WD branded product, btw, do all wd externals work? i've purchased two external hdd's from fry's, tried 3 different hdd's (i've deduced it must be the enclosures, having tried a newer sata & a WD pata) i can tell you that acom data external's are not recognized by my little mkv playin' beauty  ;)

i've scanned the forum & haven't seen such a list, am i missing something? MTIA

May 18, 2009, 11:53:35 PM
Reply #1

checkyoulater

perhaps i don't want to buy a WD branded product, btw, do all wd externals work? i've purchased two external hdd's from fry's, tried 3 different hdd's (i've deduced it must be the enclosures, having tried a newer sata & a WD pata) i can tell you that acom data external's are not recognized by my little mkv playin' beauty  ;)

i've scanned the forum & haven't seen such a list, am i missing something? MTIA

I'm pretty sure i remember my 1TB external seagate drive working well with my WDTV, i swapped it out though for a WD essential 1TB drive in the end.  only because my other player (PCH/nmt) was attached to another TV which was located in a cooler room, so i thought I'd just as well leave the seagate there since it heats up a lot more than my other WD 1TB drive.

if it matters any, i've tried several different flash based drives on the WDTV and it always worked well.

May 19, 2009, 02:12:34 AM
Reply #2

SteelPulse

Thanks for the reply, I too have had no problems using jump drives, pity they don't come in the 500-1000 gig variety quite yet! Just don't get why some enclosures are not recognized by the media player  ???, even after doing the proper formatting. May try one one of the models you mentioned, heck one can always use an additional drive if 3'rd try isn't the charm.

May 19, 2009, 05:25:50 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I have two 500GB AcomData USB enclosures that work no problem.  ???

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 20, 2009, 02:12:01 AM
Reply #4

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

I have some cheap generic USB enclosure and a seagate 1TB drive and no problems.
I also have used an adapter that plugs into any drive and goes to usb, it works on the 3 drives I tried it with..
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

May 20, 2009, 03:16:30 AM
Reply #5

ChaseDavis

I have a 1Tb and a 1.5TB Seagate drives attatched and they work

May 22, 2009, 03:05:31 PM
Reply #6

RaggedDog

ICYBOX box 3223 2drive DAS enclosure works fine (2 x SATA, 1 usb cable) wd sees two separate drives 1tb WD caviar green and 640gb Samsung oozing movie goodness. Was slooow to fill initially but USB is quick enough when adding stuff.
Quiet enuff, has got a 3 speed fan off/low/high..disks spin down ok..

June 06, 2009, 07:07:41 AM
Reply #7

Lyceum

ICYBOX box 3223 2drive DAS enclosure works fine (2 x SATA, 1 usb cable) wd sees two separate drives 1tb WD caviar green and 640gb Samsung oozing movie goodness. Was slooow to fill initially but USB is quick enough when adding stuff.

I bought the IcyBox 3221, two drives in one enclosure and the WDTV will only recognise the one drive (samsung 500gig and 1tb). Any idea's how I can get it to recognise the two?

June 06, 2009, 01:24:19 PM
Reply #8

DJ_Jimi

I bought this LaCie 1TB hard drive, my WDTV media player looks great on top of drive. On first use, hook up to computer to format, then hook up to media player, really quiet too.

http://www.lacie.com/us/shop/index.htm?adw=poulto&gclid=CIT8-L7J9poCFSAhDQodsxKBeQ

DJ_Jimi

June 09, 2009, 10:57:15 AM
Reply #9

RaggedDog

Lyceum :Swap the discs around in the enclosure and see if it still only gets one?
Mine are NTFS.. also I am running 1.02.07 firmware and also WDLXTV firmware.
Delete any and all wdtv files .. try diff (sata) discs.. there's not much in/on  the enclosure to change is there?
It does show USb1, then enter on that, and then it shows both drives?? yeah?

June 15, 2009, 01:31:24 PM
Reply #10

MaxxPower

I bought the IcyBox 3221, two drives in one enclosure and the WDTV will only recognise the one drive (samsung 500gig and 1tb). Any idea's how I can get it to recognise the two?
The newest firmware (1.02.08) has somehow screwed up the recognition of more than one drive on a single port. I have 2 Iomega MiniMax drives, had one connected to the other and with firmware 1.02.07 they were recognized just as RaggedDog shows above. Since I upgraded to the newer firmware only one of the drives is recognized, so if you're running the newest firmware that would be why only one drive is showing up.

June 19, 2009, 10:23:52 AM
Reply #11

Lyceum

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for the tips.

No idea how I got it working to be honest, it seemed to have issues with the 1tb drive and wouldn't recognise it at all, even when it was in the enclosure on it's own. So since I have a 1tb drive in my PC i thought I'd swap them over, tried the one from my pc and it recognised two drives. Gave the 1tb drive I'd got for the WDTV one last go and it recognised it. No idea why it suddenly started to work but I'm not complaining.