Author Topic: Streaming via NFS in Linux  (Read 2854 times)

January 13, 2011, 07:10:35 AM
Read 2854 times

hegemon13

I just set up my Linux Mint 10 machine to stream to the WDTV via NFS, and I thought I would post some of the information I used.  It's working beautifully, and stuff that was choppy and unplayable over SMB is buttery smooth now.  The same information should work for ubuntu, or any Linux distro that supports apt-get or debian.

What you need:
WDTV Gen 1 w/ ethernet adapter and B-RADs WDLXTV firmware
nfs.app.bin (http://b-rad.cc/928/wdlxtv-app-pack-nfs/)

First, follow this guide to set up the NFS exports on your Linux box.  No need to repeat it here, as everything you need to know is in this very simple guide:
http://havetheknowhow.com/Configure-the-server/Configure-NFS.html
NOTE: The last section that concerns installing the NFS client and mounting the shares is not necessary unless you want to mount the shares on your Linux box.

Next, edit the net.mounts file on your WDTV flash drive.  Use a text editor like gedit, vim, etc.  Add a line for the share in the following format:

xmount xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/path ShareName nfs

If you use the guide above to set up NFS, you will need to include the "exports" folder in the path. This was where I got stuck for a while. For example:

xmount 192.168.1.101:/exports/Media MyMedia nfs

Plug the flash drive back into your WDTV, reboot, and the share should show up as MyMedia, or whatever you entered for the ShareName.

Using NFS from Linux is much more stable and easier to set up than HaneWIN, which crashed all the time, occasionally omitted folders from the share, or just refused to start and required reinstallation.

January 14, 2011, 12:04:22 PM
Reply #1

kebien

I concur.
I have a WD Mybookworld NAS 1 tb that has options for nfs sharing.
Never used it until I tried to make a new wireless adapter work in my WDTV gen1.
The adapter is a linksys WUSB54GC version 3.
I used some drivers someone else posted in this forum,and it worked fine.
But then,it had problems to stream 720p using cifs,the movies started fine but 5 minutes later it just stuttered and froze up.
So,I did enable the nfs sharing option in the NAS,mounted the drive in the wdtv and now I can even stream 1080p at 15 mbs through wireless.
I do not know where the roof is yet regarding bitrate,but will surely pay more attention to 1080i/p content since I can watch it now.
NFS seem to perform very well for me,maybe I set all the other shares the same way from now on.

June 21, 2011, 02:31:31 AM
Reply #2

Blackberry

Hello. I am a quite a noob in nfs sharing. So i want to ask .. do i have to share a external disc or can i share a disc partition of my local comtuer?

June 21, 2011, 04:17:45 PM
Reply #3

speedyalmeida

You can share the folders you want on your local computer disc like this:
/mnt/Filmes1
/home/leo/Videos/Filmes

June 22, 2011, 11:51:57 PM
Reply #4

Roy4Lerez

Hey guys,anyone of you knoes how to stream video via NFS?

July 14, 2011, 12:52:18 PM
Reply #5

hegemon13

Hey guys,anyone of you knoes how to stream video via NFS?

If you are using Linux, just follow the directions in the first post. If using Windows, search the forum for nfs windows, and you'll find instructions on setting up the HaneWIN nfs server.