Author Topic: What is the maximum MBps on the Live? I'm having a few issues.  (Read 2471 times)

January 04, 2011, 06:24:10 PM
Read 2471 times

WWWJD

Another dadnabid Live noob here.  Just installed the system a few days ago with the following configuration:  4TB USB2.0 storage on an iMac 21.5" hardwired to WRT54GS router.  Mac Mini hardwired to the router.  WDTV Live hardwired to the router.  I've made the following observations regarding speed:

Storage to iMac to Router to Live playing .iso (DVD): 2~3MBps via iStat Pro widget
Storage to iMac to Router to Live playing .mkv(BD): 5~6MBps via iStat Pro widget
Mac to Mac file transfer via Router: 10MBps solid via iStat Pro.

It appears that for .mkv files (from BD) less than 20GB don't have any issues.  Greater than 20GB catch a case of the stutters. 

I've searched a few keywords; is it correct that the live isn't capable of bandwidth greater and 10MBps?
Given the setup listed above, is there anything that I can do to improve my transfer rates?  According to both macs, the ethernet settings are full duplex at base 100 (auto detection).  I would at least expect the file transfer speed between macs to be greater than 10, seeing as how the WRT54GS is supposed to be a base 100 dealy.  Am I missing something?  Would a new switch/router improve the situation / system reliability at all?  Or do I just need to start cooking these BD files down in handbrake? (Any recommended settings for handbrake?) 

Have I asked enough questions?  ;D ???

Thanks guys
~Mark

January 04, 2011, 06:52:55 PM
Reply #1

WWWJD

Just want to add that the WD is running the latest firmware.

January 05, 2011, 12:16:55 AM
Reply #2

trevorreznik

• Duplicati
It appears that for .mkv files (from BD) less than 20GB don't have any issues.  Greater than 20GB catch a case of the stutters.

First you should connect your USB storage directly to the WD TV Live to see if the box is capable of playing your large files properly. If so, then there is probably some kind of network issue. You could then directly connect the WD TV Live over Ethernet with your Mac and see if that works. If not, you could try using the other Mac to access the storage and see if the situation improves.

Some more comments:

Some maths shows, that even 20GB files (I assume 90 minutes of play) should not require transfer rates much larger than 4MByte/s which is about 32Mbps. This tells me that the WD TV Live must be connected with more than 10 Mbps (your second question) and as ethernet connections are quite reliable you should have enough bandwidth left.

What you did not tell us, and that might be a source of the problem too, is how the WD TV Live can access the files: Is it a simple network share or do you have a media server or are you using itunes or something else?

Concerning your Mac to Mac transfer speed: I remember that the old WRT54GS devices had problems with the transfer of large files from Wifi to LAN. If transfer speed for small files is much better than for large files, a software update for the router might help here. Nonetheless, the slow speed tells me that there is a problem that might not be specific to the WD TV Live but to the other components (network, router, Macs).

trev
Duplicati - Free, open source backup - Secure backups to cloud storage systems

January 05, 2011, 05:48:10 AM
Reply #3

WWWJD

I'll definitely try connecting my USB drive directly to the Live to rule out file problem vs. network problem.  I'd hate to see that work honestly, as Network Shares was the reason I bought the Live in the first place.   :'(  My original speed observations kind of suggest that it's not a network problem.  Mac to Mac was able to hit a 10MBps transfer rate, while the stuttering .mkv file was only hitting a top speed of 6... so that suggests that I'm getting the stutter not because of a network throttle problem. 

I also found this article in my searching last night, which suggests a firmware roll back as a possible solution:

http://www.thedailybuggle.com/fix-video-jitter-stutter-problem-playing-720-1080-mkv-videos-wd-tv-live/

I shopped around for routers last night as well.  It appears that I can get a LAN/WLAN gigabit switch for about $80.  I'd love to wrap some faster mac to mac file transfers up in this project.  Might as well buy it and get it over with.

January 05, 2011, 06:00:33 AM
Reply #4

trevorreznik

• Duplicati
I'll definitely try connecting my USB drive directly to the Live to rule out file problem vs. network problem.  I'd hate to see that work honestly, as Network Shares was the reason I bought the Live in the first place.

1) Try to connect your storage first. This will reveal if it is a box issue.

2) Try to connect the box to your Mac (with the storage). You'll need to set IP addresses manually to connect both. This will show you if the Mac is fast enough.

Let us know what the result of the first steps has been.

trev

PS: I would not go for a new router that quickly. Gigabit will not help you as the WD TV has a 100Mbit ethernet port only.
Duplicati - Free, open source backup - Secure backups to cloud storage systems

January 05, 2011, 03:46:29 PM
Reply #5

WWWJD

Happy to report that the firmware rollback resolved the issue. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

I'm streaming Saving Private Ryan (34GB .mkv file) at 1080P with DTS.  Halfway through the movie so far without a single hiccup. This should be a sticky on here or something.

Now.. that being said, what benefit is there to the b-rad firmware?