Author Topic: Unable to play selected file  (Read 2906 times)

January 04, 2011, 06:11:32 PM
Read 2906 times

activoice

I`ve got a 1st generation WDTV, and it`s about 20 months old, it`s been working great all of this time, but when I tried to power it on yesterday it would not turn on.

So I unplugged it, and re-plugged it back in... had to do this a few times before it would finish booting up.

Now whenever I try and play any video file, tried different files on different drives, and usb sticks, and it will not play any video file. 

It continually displays the error message - unable to play selected file..  Even though it has played the exact same video files before, from all of these drives.

I think I`ve tried just about everything.  Did a reset from the menu, no change, did a reset using the pin hole on the side, no change.  Re-installed the last official WD firmware for this model, firmware update completed, but it still will not play any video file..  left it unplugged all day, no change, still will not play anything...

Has anyone experienced this?  any thoughts on how to get this thing working again?

January 07, 2011, 04:56:28 PM
Reply #1

activoice

So after re-installing the WD official firmware a couple of times with no luck I took a shot at installing the WDLXTV firmware figuring that I've got nothing to lose anyway... 

Surprisingly that seems to have resolved the problem for now...  I can play MKV's again...

Very strange.

January 08, 2011, 06:04:07 AM
Reply #2

toddy

hey activoice, that sounds very good and better than the solution I've found  http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=8139.0

would you mind testing with a mkv file that was created with MKVMerge v 4.3 or 4.4 please.  Just to make sure as the problem is not caused by mkv files per se but by mkv-files with header compression.  And if it works, posting a link to the version of the WDLXTV firmware you used would be much appreciated.  For now I've downloaded the WDLXTV-0.5.8.1 but would love to hear from you before I flash my box.

Thank you

January 09, 2011, 10:48:36 AM
Reply #3

activoice

So my success was short lived. the wdtv was playing mkv's fine on Friday night.

But today (Sunday) it would not power on using the remote.

I unplugged it waited then plugged it back in and then it turned on.

But now that it's on it will not play any videos again.  I am getting the unable to play selected file error again.  Based on the powering up problem I suspect that it's some kind of hardware failure.

January 10, 2011, 06:07:57 AM
Reply #4

toddy

I am sorry to hear that activoice.  The more I do appreciate letting us know.  Guess I stick to my method, although more complicated.

Thank you very much indeed

January 10, 2011, 09:02:16 AM
Reply #5

activoice

I looked at the other thread and the problem you were having is related to the header compression.  Mine is definitely a different problem, as I've made sure that all of my MKV's have header compression set to none..  (actually in the MKV Merge Gui 4.4 you can now set none as the default).

My device won't even power on with the remote anymore, only way to turn it on is to pull the power cord out of the back, then re-insert it, so definitely some sort of hardware failure.

I'm actually filing a claim with the extended warranty protection on my credit card, just to see if they will give me the replacement cost so I can upgrade to a WDTV Live Plus.  Factory warranty is 1 year, so hopefully the extended warranty protection should kick in to double the manufacturer's warranty.

May 14, 2011, 11:54:42 PM
Reply #6

mrbplus

I have a similar problem. Nothing will play anymore. I just get the "unable to play the selected file" message. It doesn't matter if the file is on the network or USB.

If anyone has a solution, that would be great.