This post is outdated. Get the webserver addons instead.
Ok here it is. My pre-release of a Weather and RSS feed on the home screen.
I take no responsibility whatsoever! I've tested it thoroughly, but cannot guarantee anything. But since it is addon software and you can always reflash your device, things should be pretty safe. Tested on Zorander ext-boot 0.9.2, but should work on B-rad's Firmware too.
Adds a RSS feed scroller and Weather forecast to the home screen.
Screenshot of weather and RSS feed:
Fully configurable by web interface:
Unzip and then just copy the webserver-addons.app.bin file to the root of your USB stick and recycle power (reboot).
- Configure and then save settings.
- After saving it will instantly update.
- You may need to go to standby and back to update the home.xml.
- A cron job is started to update the RSS and weather every hour. (See /apps/webserver-addons/osd/osd.cron)
- Check your city first on www.wunderground.com. Add country or postal code if needed. See default example 'Amsterdam, nl'
- The home.xml is backupped to home.xml-backup.
- Both RSS and weather are external files called rss.xml and weather.xml
Remove webserver-addons.app.bin from your stick and edit /osd/home.xml or replace it by /osd/home.xml-backup
That's it. Good luck! Let me know what you think and if this works for you.
Again, it is a pre-release. The final release will be a plugin for Disc0's webserver.
- Working in /tmp now with mount, which should fix problem with write-only /osd/ dir (UNTESTED!)
- Web configuration checks for optware and cron, it also has install option for cron if optware is available
- Crontabs directory is checked and created if needed, fixes update problems
- Multiple RSS feeds work, seperate them with the | character
- Other RSS encodings work, also with mixed RSS feeds, tried Dutch and Greek :-)
- Adjusted RSS code to detect article titles better
- RSS feed has background image now
- Weather and RSS feed can be enabled/disabled
- Now C means Celcius and F means Fahrenheit :-)
Adding the station code instead of the name was not easy, so please try and find a name that is closest to your own town. I'll work on this later maybe.
I hope this solves most of the problems for now. Maybe I'll have more time to work on it later, but currently I have so much other stuff to do I won't be spending much more time on this. Feel free to modify the code and release an updated version.
Download the updated version using the same link.