Author Topic: WDTV Live HUB General discussion  (Read 30106 times)

December 10, 2010, 11:50:27 PM
Read 30106 times

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I am thinking of picking one of these up.   Looks pretty cool with a new interface and better video chip.

Anyone have any comments or experiences with this?

Looks like it passes true DTS-MA

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

December 11, 2010, 01:06:16 PM
Reply #1

extremedigital

I am surprised you haven't got one already....LOL  :D

I am currently testing PsychoTHC osd mod / theme on the box..

You really should get one, but be prepared for its own share of little niggles, but worth it overall.

Main features are improved GUI, built in 1tb Drive, built in Media Server, built in movie info (basic at moment but it def can be improved on i am hoping to get full thumbgen moviesheets working and Psycho has already done some amazing things improving the original)...

i will repost some of my comments from the other forum

Not my video but here is a little taster :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEtFnv96deQ
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:35:05 PM by extremedigital »

December 11, 2010, 01:20:59 PM
Reply #2

extremedigital

Well i suppose i better kicks things off as there has not been much info posted here re this new player.....

My obversations so far:---

Firstly the stock UI is an improvement over the WDTV Live or Live Plus.....

With the fact that custom osd mod themes are possible this will only improve with time.

Whilst it is not as major a leap as you might imagine going from the Live to the Live Hub, it does add some very nice features including:-

Built in 1tb Hard Drive....not looked at if possible to upgrade the internal drive but i am sure at some point someone will

Built in Twonky media server, so you can use a media controller (eg juliojs android app) to send the media either back to the Hub or to other Media Players/Renderers in your network.

This built in Twonky server also opens up alot of possibilites to remote control the Hub and for example you now have a new Webend interface that has a remote control feature amongst other things.

A little feature that you may miss at first is the inclusion of a small mediamark to show half watched or fully watched movies

Obviously the big talking point apart from the themes is the inclusion of movie information...

Note the 'moviesheets' will only show in the Gallery View mode but you can pull up the info in the other modes....

Talking about view modes you have the following views:

1:  List View (only text filenames)
2:  Preview (list + preview window on right right this is like on previous model with a few cosmetic changes)
3:  Gallery View (thumbs are in single line on the bottom very much like sheet mode this is the 'moviesheet' mode)
4:  Small Grid View (4x4 thumbs wide matrix)
5:  Large Grid View (3x3 thumbs wide matrix)

I did read on the internet that is possible to modify the xml of Gallery View to change to a custom view...whilst this could be done to get back a Large Thumbnail view like in the Live it might also be interesting if this can be used to give a custom moviesheet view ???

It has an interesting Sync feature that would allow you to Automatically Sync the files from a usb drive or a network location to a special folder on the hard drive called usb_sync, whilst i can't imagine i will be using it much myself it could be useful for others

There was a small silly point when you take the box out of it is wrapped in a clear bag which has a seal you have to break

On the seal it says 'Purchase and use of the WD TV is subject to the acceptance of the End User License. Go to

http://www.wdc.com/company/legal

well this url doesn't exist  :oops:

Lastly get used to having to navigate with a totally different system based around Sort/Filter...And by Content.....you will need to memorise the functions of the Green/Red/Yellow/Blue keys to navigate faster.

December 11, 2010, 01:22:08 PM
Reply #3

extremedigital

Will update this page with some pictures

New Webend

This reminder to update my firmware is actually as a result of me using the ver trick..i installed the newest firmware a second time via usb to make sure that the online firmware and downloaded ones were the same (ie the downloaded one still didn't add the Neflix or Blockbuster apps) However the funny side effect is that the webend still thinks there is a newer firmware version as it has seen it previously on a usb stick LOL

Twonky Server Screens:

December 11, 2010, 02:30:07 PM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Thanks extremedigital ,

Buying one today!

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

December 20, 2010, 05:21:57 AM
Reply #5

meo

is it possible to use the WDLXTV-LIVE-0.4.X system ?
are there any modifications ?
because i want to learn to extend the player.
there are any documents to start ?
because with wdlxtv you have the possibility to connect to a ip stream (dreambox).

December 21, 2010, 02:31:26 AM
Reply #6

extremedigital

Hi Meo, sorry you cannot currently use any custom firmware with the Live Hub.

However the good news is that both PsychoTHC and juliojs have released their themes for the Hub.

It is very easy to load the new themes and you can have as many different themes on the Hub allowing you to switch between them and the original anytime.

jayallan.... we could really do with a Live Hub section here so that the ball can start rolling so to speak

See PsychoTHC Anodized Theme below
                         |
                         |
                         |
                         V   

December 21, 2010, 05:19:28 AM
Reply #7

meo

hm
i am a german user - so i want to use - ZDF Mediathek, Streaming websites ...
i want to use my dreambox (7025 + 800) - to see tv on the WD Client

http://koti.mbnet.fi/devnull/suomipoeka/streamwebpage/

there any possibilities  ?

December 21, 2010, 10:49:22 AM
Reply #8

extremedigital

Hi, i don't think it is possible at the moment

The Hub will not see a webpage at the moment.

It can only see network shares or upnp media server.

I found this i am not sure if useful for you

If you install Playon, then you can add the ZDF Mediathek plugin

http://www.playon.tv/playon

http://www.playonplugins.com/index.php?topic=1516.0

December 22, 2010, 06:32:45 AM
Reply #9

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
Hi, wondering whether to get one of these to 'upgrade' my WDTV gen1.

Couple of questions for you existing owners:
1) thumbnail views - what are the defaults for number of thumbnails for each of video/photo/music ie. 6x3 etc.
2) with the custom themes, is it possible to change the number of thumbnails for each media type?

Many thanks in advance.
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

December 22, 2010, 02:27:08 PM
Reply #10

meo

Hm,

what you say is not so helpful - i need a computer.
But i want to do this thinks without a computer - thats why i choose a media player.
i have a wd tv live hub and i am in Europa in the moment i have not many possibilitys to see some interessent things in internet (only youtube).
the internet functionallity is at this time only for usa user :-(
on network shares i have the problem that the mediplayer wd tv live hub want a passord for the dream800 upnp shares - it cant see any media ??
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:51:56 AM by meo »

December 23, 2010, 03:23:03 AM
Reply #11

extremedigital

Hi meo....

Yes you are right unfortuantely the choice of streaming directly from the Live Hub without a pc is limited for non usa locations

However you should find that the next update which should hopefully be very soon will add flingo and deezer increasing our choice..

(ps i have written elsewhere about how to get pandora to work)

I hope there will be a way for you to get the ZDF german streams you want directly to the hub at some point soon as if it is upnp then it should be able to see it without asking for a password

I see you asked a question on the forum for the plugin hopefully they will be able to help

January 02, 2011, 02:50:27 AM
Reply #12

Nige

Hi !

Found the forum whilst searching for info on the Live Hub. I`ve got one on order, should be here soon.

Been doing a fair bit of research, its my first foray into the world of media streamers, I`ve always used a PC before. The ease of use and compatibility mean my wife can probably use it now  ;)

The themes available look good, but I have a question.

I currently have an FTP server on my PC that my son uses to sync photos & video clips with when he`s away. Is there any built in FTP server or other way we can do the same from the Hub, meaning I don`t have to leave my PC running ? I`m hoping I can setup something (perhaps Twonky, although I have no idea how), so he can sync his PC (or Hub as we`ve both ordered one).

I`m sure I`ll have more questions when it finally arrives  ;D

January 02, 2011, 06:11:30 PM
Reply #13

beatmaster

@Nige:
the Hub offers a samba-, DLNA- and iTunesserver for LAN.
so, not yet.
WDTV LIVE Hub - MacBookPro 2010 - Dlink DIR 685 (500GB) - PLEXnine/Playback on Snow Leopard

January 03, 2011, 01:15:10 AM
Reply #14

Nige

/dashes off to google to search for Samba and DLNA /   :D

Ah, got ya ! ;)