Author Topic: WDTV Gen 2 - better than slice bread - it does HD sound format  (Read 2662 times)

November 21, 2010, 05:28:37 PM
Read 2662 times

machoman

I've just bought WDTV 2nd Gen and it's passing through all the HD sound formats to my amp (ONKYO). I can't be happier. I've had Gen 1 before which didn't do that and i went and bought a popcorn hour A110. Now that we've got a 2nd plasma i thought i'll get one just for ripped dvd movies since i've sold the 1st Gen. Brought it home and to my delight it played all the blur-ray rips with either the sound going to the TV or pass through to the amp to process one of those HD sound formats.

I'm curious why some have said it doesn't pass through? I've played "My Best Friends Wedding", "Black Hawk Down", "Pearl Harbour" and "Brave heart" - all blur-ray rips and they played with the sounds coming through the amp/speakers.

My firmware says v1.1.79. That version is not available on the WDTV website so i must have the latest then. Perhaps this is a defective unit that didn't get to 'block' the HD sound format pass through.....

Another thing i love the file management capabilities - ie. delete/move/copy the files that's on the external.

November 21, 2010, 06:47:21 PM
Reply #1

RoofingGuy

Are you sure it's passing the full 7.1 and not just the 5.1 core like it's supposed to?

November 26, 2010, 04:59:15 AM
Reply #2

machoman

Are you sure it's passing the full 7.1 and not just the 5.1 core like it's supposed to?

Don't know about 7.1 cause my Onkyo only does 5.1 but i've just played a ripped Predator (latest) on mts file format and it came through just like my popcorn. I actually kind of like the WDTV better - it's smaller and cuter.