Author Topic: Unicode (UTF-8) subtitles support  (Read 6002 times)

November 20, 2010, 11:09:42 AM
Read 6002 times

astipnieks

I have already searched in the Forum for topics related to Unicode encoding in *.srt subtitle files, but all I fond (correct me if I am wrong :() is a feature request to WD developers to support them. Could someone explain me how to see special characters on WD TV, if *.srt (I have tried to convert subtitles to other formats like *.ass etc., but it does not help) subtitle file is encoded in UTF-8 / Unicode? Are there any workarounds at all, except waiting for WD developers to add the functionality? Changing of encoding does not help either- or you loose special characters at all, or in some combination you may see some of them, but they still look kind of weird (spacing is not normal). Setup (under System) of WD TV allows to add some additional character sets, like Cyrillic, but no support for Unicode or derivatives of Unicode.
Summary - there are no problems with adding external subtitle file to any movie file and seeing text of subtitles itself, problem is with special characters (there are empty spaces instead of them), which are part of most languages except English and couple others.
Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:08:42 AM by astipnieks »

November 20, 2010, 11:34:39 AM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Not sure if the factory firmware supports it.

To try, you must have the *.srt file named exactly as the movie file.

IE

if that won't work, I know the custom Firmware works for sure.  Even downloads it's own subtitles when you use the SubTitles pluggin.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

November 21, 2010, 08:19:25 AM
Reply #2

astipnieks

1) There are no problems with adding subtitle file to the movie file in general, it works fine (ANSI encoding) - unfortunately some languages require Unicode encoding only. And then on WD TV some letters disappear.
2) What kind of custom plug-in you are talking about. Is it plug-in for WD firmware?

BR,

November 21, 2010, 08:35:05 AM
Reply #3

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Yes for the custom firmware created by B-Rad
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television