Author Topic: NO SUBTITLES IN VOB FORMAT  (Read 2666 times)

May 15, 2009, 07:24:34 AM
Read 2666 times

SHIBUMI

Hi,,have backed up some foreign dvds on to my hard drive in VOB format using nero adding the subtitle,but when played i have tried every option but cant seem to view the subtitles,-it says no subtitles,but i have chosen the subtitles when i ripped it from the dvd,please help,this is so annoying as i mostly have foreign dvd which require english subtitles.

I later after browsing in the forums managed to find MKV maker which i used and movie is playing fine with the subtitles,but just wondering,does it decreas picture quality when converted to MKV file,which i cant tell the difference from the dvd quality. this is fine apart from having to convert every dvd.

Is the anyway i can view the subtitles when movie is  in  VOB format? please help. thanks

May 15, 2009, 08:56:54 AM
Reply #1

MrMod

Does Nero give you 3 files? (vob, idx, sub)  If so then the idx/sub files are the subtitles.  Ripped vob files only contain the video and audio streams (you can even rename the extension to mpg and it'll work).  If you are receiving 3 files from Nero then you can use mkvmerge (part of mkvtoolnix) to mux them into one mkv file.  The video/audio/sub streams aren't altered at all so the muxing process is fast.