Author Topic: Sound Problems On Playback  (Read 2776 times)

November 05, 2010, 09:19:59 AM
Read 2776 times

Luckycharms_74

Hi All

Got my WDTV Live today and proceded to test some .mkv files on it. It turns out that DTS sound does not play on the player. I also read it could be a TV problem. I have a Samsung HD TV.

Someone on WDTV forums said this.
"WDTV cannot decode DTS audio. If you play rips with DTS audio you need to connect your HDMI or Toslink cable to a receiver that can decode the DTS tracks. Otherwise you must convert the DTS to AC3."

Anyone out there got some ideas how to get around this besides converting the .mkv sound DTS to AC3.

P.S. Some .mkv files with AC3 play sound perfect but then some other files either .mkv or .avi with AC3 wont play any sound .

This is taking the good out of my WDTV now

November 05, 2010, 09:51:34 AM
Reply #1

RoofingGuy

You may be hitting the header compression issue in your some of your .mkv files.

The original WDTV HD Gen1 didn't support DTS downmix to stereo, but DTS was available at the optical passthrough.

The WDTV HD Gen2, the WDTV Live, the WDTV Live Plus and the WDTV Live Hub all will downmix the 5.1 DTS signal to the stereo output, as well as offering digital passthrough of the 5.1 through HDMI and optical.

If your TV is not licenced to decode DTS then you won't be getting any DTS output, and yes, you'd have to either go with "stereo" or convert the audio into something your setup can handle.

November 05, 2010, 11:11:02 AM
Reply #2

Luckycharms_74

On further research it seems that Samsung TV dont support DTS .
I have checked for a firmware upgrade hoping this might fix the problem.
http://www.dts.com/Corporate/Press_Room/Press_Releases/2010/02/DTS_Partners_With_Samsung_To_Deliver_Superior_Audio_To_Digital_Televisions_Worldwide.aspx

So if the upgrade does not work I guess I gotts decote to AC3 or some format. Any reason why some AC3 files be it .mkv or .avi will play sound and some wont.
Sorry but I'm a audio noob :P

November 05, 2010, 05:32:54 PM
Reply #3

RoofingGuy

If your .mkv files have compression enabled in the headers of the audio track, then you'll get no audio out of them, no matter what format the audio is in, so that could be why some aren't working.

A hint for that would be if it was created with mkvmerge v4.1.x.

You can check with MediaInfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download.

Other than that, I've never run into any issues with AC3 audio and WDTVs so I'm not exactly sure where to start troubleshooting.

My first suspect would be the decoder in the TV.  It's possible that the ones that won't play are a flavour of AC3 that your TV doesn't like.

Does the TV have stereo inputs?  Because if you connect the WDTV's stereo outs to the TV and set the mode on the WDTV to "Stereo", you could see if you get any sound from the "bad" files you're having trouble with.  It'd be a place to start.