Author Topic: [NEW PRODUCT] WDTV Live Hub  (Read 10092 times)

October 26, 2010, 03:08:31 PM
Read 10092 times

Sparxxx

Hi guys,
looks like WD released a new product called WDTV Live Hub: 1 TB; Full-HD 1080p, network media player with hard drive
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=891

Here are some of its features:
   1. 1 TB 2.5" internal hard drive
   2. HDMI 1.4
   3. Wired Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) interface
   4. Media Server capabilities
   5. Improved user interface and UI framework
   6. Support for Blockbuster On Demand (rental and purchase)
   7. Remote control over a HTTP interface
   8. Support for scraping / cover art (media library information) download without the need for a PC

Have a look at the product itself and the UI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1pr8g7rCTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obkKVHb-KdE

Seems to be a nice devices that could replace the WDTV Live.

October 26, 2010, 03:35:00 PM
Reply #1

piecutter

Yeah, been watching for it since someone in Canada "accidently" got sold one at the local Best Buy. Pretty cool though, I must say. I've still got the Gen1 since it first came out and have resisted upgrading with all the Gen2 and live models. It's pretty much done everything I've wanted with the Ext3 boot and some other FW add ons along with the usb network adapter, But one of my annoyances was always the slow transfers. This ones got me really interested with the Gigabit networking. The option to hook up a USB keyboard is just iceing on the cake! And I won't have to reboot every time I add something new! No PC needed at all now! Yeah, I'm thinking this is the first one that's pretty much covered everything I really thought was a good feature request. I'm kind of puzzled though. WD doesn't seem to say anything about ISO menus. I swear I read that was going to be a feature. Not that that's a deal breaker for me.
  Now, it's just a wait and see what B-rad or someone comes up with when they get there hands on it! USB tuner anyone?

October 26, 2010, 03:49:00 PM
Reply #2

Sparxxx

Here is a in-depth review from Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-review

Don't get fooled by the Gigabit Ethernet thing... it's still 12-13MB/s, so no real Gigabit :(
"GbE port seems more like a marketing gimmick, rather than actually adding to the performance"

October 26, 2010, 10:03:13 PM
Reply #3

piecutter

Ooooh, painful fail! So close. That was my main draw. What's the deal with these crippled Gb-e ports? That's got to be the third new box I've read about with that problem!

October 27, 2010, 11:45:17 AM
Reply #4

Tobber

If it really has 12-13 MB/S WRITE I'm sold...

Just look how much you have to pay for a really fast NAS.

October 27, 2010, 04:36:00 PM
Reply #5

Sp3kt3r

I can't believe that ! I'm so PROUD! to not support WD anymore. please do yourself a favor ! and do not buy anymore product from WD.. I had the WDTV which I returned for lack of support.. I tried again with WDTV LIVE and it was a bit better.. but now we are up to 6 beta firmware.. at that point I said to myself no more.. . they released the PLUS.. I said no way. I'm going to fall in this trap again.. and now this one.. I know this one do actually more.. but no wonder why we didn't have a official firmware for the last 6 month.. they are focusing on the LIVE PLUS and their new baby.. so sorry.. I'm going with one of their competitor... I like my WD LIVE but that's only because of B-RAD ! firmware.. Thx to him !

October 27, 2010, 06:05:05 PM
Reply #6

piecutter

Umm, yeah. Whatever. Lets wait and see. B-rad, you got one on order yet?

October 30, 2010, 02:31:18 PM
Reply #7

marcelg

Incredible, one of the first Media player with 1gb ethernet port(with low price), and only give 12-13mb in transfer, at last they should advice of that big problem.
That's not fair.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:05:30 PM by marcelg »

October 31, 2010, 11:04:20 AM
Reply #8

ovsims

does this thing pass dtsHD MA

November 01, 2010, 04:00:32 AM
Reply #9

Tobber

Incredible, one of the first Media player with 1gb ethernet port(with low price), and only give 12-13mb in transfer, at last they should advice of that big problem.
That's not fair.

It's not beeing advertised as a NAS. And you don't need GIGABIT-Ethernet on a Mediaplayer for streaming purposes...
So it's really just nice to have.
But to be honest. Since it has a fan at the bottom and probably will be poorly supported firmware-wise (just like the older models) I'm not that sold anymore...

November 02, 2010, 05:50:20 PM
Reply #10

marcelg

That's not fair.

It's not beeing advertised as a NAS. And you don't need GIGABIT-Ethernet on a Mediaplayer for streaming purposes...
So it's really just nice to have.
But to be honest. Since it has a fan at the bottom and probably will be poorly supported firmware-wise (just like the older models) I'm not that sold anymore...
Ok, is not  a NAS, but you know how slow is a movie transfers with a gigabyte ethernet that work like a 100mb?, is a nightmare!, that's why a claim it, if the ethernet port is advertised as 1000mb, why work like  a 100mb one, better put ethernet 10/100 port and people will not claim on that point, take note that it has a internal HD.
Good luck   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:53:47 PM by marcelg »

November 03, 2010, 04:12:46 PM
Reply #11

RoofingGuy

does this thing pass dtsHD MA

Even though other devices seem to be able to get DTS HD support, the official line from Western Digital is that DTS will not let WD add DTS-HD to any devices.  WD says DTS keeps telling them that DTS will not licence DTS-HD to any device that doesn't have a BR drive built-in (ie. anything that isn't a Blu-Ray player).

So, I don't know whether to point the finger at DTS or WD, but the answer is "no".  You can get the DTS core from a DTS-HD track, but the device is not licenced to pass the full 7.1 DTS-HD.

November 03, 2010, 05:34:45 PM
Reply #12

snackbidi

To everyone who's complaining that 12-13 MB/s is too slow for gigabit ethernet, why don't you take a look at the file transfer speeds for the current-gen wdtv live?

KEEP IN MIND: the WDTV is still primarily a MEDIA STREAMER, not a NAS.

Without mad hackery, on a good day, you'll get 3-5MB/s writing files to an external drive on the WDTV Live. The Hub has a massive increase in speed over the previous generations, and the main purpose of the unit is not to be a NAS for the whole house, thats why its only got 1gb of internal storage, non-expandable by the user. The hard drive is more to store its own media than to store files for sharing around. Of course it can stream to other units, but thats what the gigabit ethernet is for. The main purpose of the unit is to be a MEDIA STREAMER, like all WDTV products, and thats where the gigabit really comes into play.

Also, for playing full-quality original non-compressed bluray rips, gigabit ethernet is the way to go. It doesn't matter what transfer speed you get on the internal hard drive over the network, thats related to the processor and hard drive, not the gigabit ethernet port. The Gigabit Ethernet enables a much higher theoretical data transfer rate to the unit itself, not to the hard drive, enabling higher bandwidth for streaming from existing sources (like a computer or real NAS) that contain your media files. Chances are if you're actually going to truly need gigabit, you probably already have a gigabit NAS or a computer with gigabit ethernet that stores all your media.

November 05, 2010, 03:39:48 PM
Reply #13

Whoheart

Of course the Boxee Box is coming soon ;)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

November 06, 2010, 02:03:32 AM
Reply #14

Tobber

To everyone who's complaining that 12-13 MB/s is too slow for gigabit ethernet, why don't you take a look at the file transfer speeds for the current-gen wdtv live?

KEEP IN MIND: the WDTV is still primarily a MEDIA STREAMER, not a NAS.

Without mad hackery, on a good day, you'll get 3-5MB/s writing files to an external drive on the WDTV Live.

Hmm, I got permanent write-speeds of about 7 MB/s with my wdtv live. Thats ok for moving some files but faster is always better :-)