Author Topic: What would you buy to replace a WDTV Live Media Player?  (Read 3189 times)

October 14, 2010, 07:22:36 PM
Read 3189 times

franks

• DeSpammer

Apparently I have bricked my WDTV Live Media Player. It doesn't even power up now. So I sent an email to support, but while I am waiting for their answer I wanted to get opinions on what I should buy if I need to replace it. I think Best Buy currently has the Live Plus on sale for $99, but I'm also thinking maybe it's time to buy something from a different manufacturer. Thanks.

October 15, 2010, 11:42:28 AM
Reply #1

Steve V

That's the question I've been struggling with for a while.   My WDTV Live is working fine, however, I recently got a TV for a different room.  Do I buy another WDTV Live or look for something else?

Really though, what else is there?  The popbox seems to be a failure. Maybe a Boxee box if it ever gets released.   The Logitech Google TV? Maybe if I want to spend $300 and it seems to have less support for Video.   

I love my WDTV and I hate it.  Very frustrating.   What options were you thinking about?
____
Steve V
WDTV Live Owner

October 17, 2010, 05:19:43 AM
Reply #2

franks

• DeSpammer

I was thinking maybe I should look at the Popcorn Hour or getting one of those home media computers.

And I got a reply back from support and even though I mentioned the name of the product several times in my original message, the fellow who answered thought I had a hard drive and not a media player.

October 17, 2010, 10:38:34 AM
Reply #3

Whoheart

Depends on what people need - if you NEED something right NOW - well I can't help you.

But if you could get by for a bit longer, then I would get a Google TV implementation - this has great potential as soon as they open the Android Market on it.

Everybody wants to be able to mod the WDTV - and WD hasn't been helpful not really (well they haven't sued people, but apart from that) - now imagine programming for the Android: you can get free development tools for PC/Mac/Linux - there is documentation and examples, and big forums where people discus programming.

Someone like brad might be able to do in a weekend what has taken him a month of fighting with the WDTV.

Google TV is a platform, meaning that its not just one device, its basically everybody who wants to make one - at the moment there are only the Sony TVs, the Sony Bluray and a settop box from Logitech - but more will be coming next year.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

October 19, 2010, 02:57:52 AM
Reply #4

franks

• DeSpammer

The good news is that my Live is still under warranty even though my support person kept referring to hard drives. So I'll be shipping it back. I have my RMA number and all I have to decide is if I want to ship via UPS or USPS. Probably best to use UPS since insurance is included. I had thought that the warranty was only 90 days, but WD's site tells me it is warranted for 12 months from the date of manufacture or 12 months from the date of purchase with proof.

June 16, 2011, 11:44:26 AM
Reply #5

JeremiahT

What features does the WDTV have over the AppleTV? Is the AppleTV only for purchased movies through iTunes? It sound like the WDTV is the better option since it can stream any and all videos. Where can one get the WDTV?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:22:34 PM by JeremiahT »
Jeremiah - TV addict