Author Topic: WDTV general OSD theming thread  (Read 19841 times)

May 13, 2009, 10:16:41 AM
Read 19841 times

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
Hi everyone,

I've put a detailed tutorial on theming the wdtv on my site. This thread will hopefully gather all questions about it and be a general base support for such theming issues.

I have provided two samples to modify:
a stock osd.bin that is the exact files from wdlxtv-0.5.3.2

a selective-theme app.bin for dynamic loading of small themes that persist across boots.

and I also provide two themes using each method.

http://b-rad.cc/877/wdtv-osd-how-to-make-a-custom-theme

May 13, 2009, 11:02:39 PM
Reply #1

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Nice, I'm thinking about some web based theme selector. I was thinking about something like quickly uploading a single new background. Or have a bunch of backgrounds that are randomly selected. Or maybe upload themes in zip files you can install and then select.

Haven't coded anything yet, but if I have more time I think I might. I've already downloaded a bunch of 720p wallpapers and at the moment I have to resize them, sometimes compress them to fit the maximum filesize, rename them, open ftp find, the osd dir and ftp them into that dir. Would be nice and easy if you can open up the webinterface, select the image and upload it.

It could also support these packages I think. It could just mount them, copy out the files and unmount them right? As long as there is space and you keep a backup of the original files there isn't much that can happen.

June 16, 2009, 04:02:26 AM
Reply #2

Dojo

Hmm,
did i miss a step? Cuz somehow both methods arent working here.
I've got WDLXTV-0.5.3.2 installed and copied first the .osd.bin on my hdd. Tried it and nothing happend. Then i tried the other one (.app.bin) and nothing happend as well.
help? :<

June 16, 2009, 10:39:15 AM
Reply #3

Sumo

What filesystem is your HDD? NTFS probably wont work...
You can try a pendrive instead, or create a small FAT32 partition on your HDD.

The farscape.osd.bin and farscape.app.bin both work...!

December 13, 2010, 06:46:58 AM
Reply #4

ton_bogz

hi to all.. im a newbie.. i just recently bought a wdtv hd gen2.. my current firmware is 1.01.77_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_G2-0.4.3.2.. i would like to change the theme.. what files should i download? and how can i install it!? tnx