Author Topic: .SRT Subtitles within M2TS. Will they work ?  (Read 20633 times)

May 12, 2009, 11:17:37 PM
Read 20633 times

SKYNET

@all

I've read that tsMuxer supports .SRT subtitles. Any of you guys has experience if .SRT subtitles will work on WDTV within muxed M2TS-files ?

I muxed .SRT into M2TS yesterday for testing purposes on my PC, but they are not recognized by Media Player Classic Homecinema on my PC. So I am wondering if it's worth copying those big files to my external HDD to test. Maybe you can give a faster answer :-)

Thanks in advance to you all.

May 17, 2009, 07:25:18 AM
Reply #1

Monteplus3

The only way I've found to get the subtitles to work is to de-mux the blue-ray file to extract the sup subtitles, then convert them to srt using suprip, and then mux that srt file into a converted MKV file.  It's tedious, but I have done this for several movies and the WD TV has played them all perfectly, with the subtitles optional on playback.

May 26, 2009, 12:14:13 PM
Reply #2

laylow

srt subtitles will work separately with M2TS, just put it in the same folder and give it the same name as the M2TS file

May 29, 2009, 02:09:12 PM
Reply #3

Oldman

A couple of questions:

-Can you do the same with IDX subtitles or just SRT? (Putting in same folder as M2TS)

-Do you have to strip existing subtitles out of the M2TS by demuxing them and using the resulting M2TS?

Here's what I tried.  Ripped original file structure from blu-ray to hard drive using AnyDVD.  Used tsmuxer to demux the subtitles out of the original M2TS.  Used BDSup2Sub to convert them to IDX/SUB.  Put the original M2TS and the IDX subtitle files into their own folder.  Renamed the IDX file to exactly the same as the M2TS file.  Didn't work.  So I'm thinking A) you can't do that methodology with IDX/SUB only SRT or B) I need to use stripped M2TS, not the original.

Suggestions?

June 19, 2009, 04:45:36 PM
Reply #4

the_invisible

i simply wish that future firmware could enable PGS subtitles so we don't have to do this tedious task!!!

July 21, 2009, 01:25:45 AM
Reply #5

PCKid

I did the whole rip sups from Blu-ray then suprip then remux them but found that if you search google for srts for Blu-ray rips you will usually be in luck and save all that. I found them for The Da Vinci Code and both Kill Bill movies and they worked perfectly. Just be sure to specify "english for non English Parts if that is what you want. Otherwise the whole movie will have subtitles. Also with Blu-ray m2ts files and srts if you try and fast forward the whole thing gets totally out of sync. However you can pause and continue without a sync problem. Frankly if I'm going to watch the rest another time I just leave it paused, turn off the TV and Amp and then just unpause the next day. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

August 20, 2009, 07:51:12 PM
Reply #6

paulover

external SRT subs work with M2TS files.  But, if you STOP (not PAUSE) the playback and then play again and continue (not restart) the subtitles are out of synch.

Haven't found a way around this, except to restart the playback and fast forward to the point I was at.