Author Topic: Firmware Update with Two USB Drives  (Read 2167 times)

March 31, 2009, 05:51:44 AM
Read 2167 times

ascherjim

This is my first posting.  As I understand the firmware update instructions for my new WDTV, I need to download to my PC, unzip and copy the files to my external (Passport) USB drive.  As I will be using two Passport drives, either separately or together, do I need to copy and install the update files to both drives for my system to work at maximum efficiency?  Many thanks. 

March 31, 2009, 11:20:47 AM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
It is best if you disconnect both drives and use a small thumb drive.  But if you do not have a thumb drive then just disconnect one of your hard drives and put the firmware in the root of the drive connected.   
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 31, 2009, 11:36:12 AM
Reply #2

ascherjim

It is best if you disconnect both drives and use a small thumb drive.  But if you do not have a thumb drive then just disconnect one of your hard drives and put the firmware in the root of the drive connected.   

Jay: I do indeed have thumb drives, one of which I shall use.  I guess I've been somewhat dense.  I've been assuming that the firmware update would then reside on, and operate from, the external memory rather than in and from the WDTV itself, which I guess is what's really updated.  Excuse my possibly imprecise terminology.  Anyway, many thanks for the advice and clarification. 

April 02, 2009, 06:56:46 PM
Reply #3

ascherjim

Jay:  I'm having real trouble updating.  I've extracted the two necessary files (.bin and .ver) to my flash (thums) drive, but then when I insert it into my WDTV, no firmware upgrade icon appears in the Settings menu.  When you (and the instructions) say that I should put the files in the "root' of the USB drive, just what does this mean?  The files are currently the only ones on the flash (thumb) drive.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks, Jim

April 02, 2009, 07:04:32 PM
Reply #4

ascherjim

Jay:  IGNORE MY LAST POSTING.  I've solved the problem.  I had the two files under a directory that I removed and had the files stand on their own and now the update works fine.  Thanks, jim

April 02, 2009, 07:11:41 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Ok Good! Glad you figured it out ! 

:)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.