Author Topic: Western Digital Confirms New WDTV-2  (Read 64441 times)

May 12, 2009, 11:43:57 AM
Read 64441 times

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Home Cinema Choice has an article up here about a new player in the works. 

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/blogs/team+hcc/western+digital+confirms+wdtv+version+2+adds+ethernet+sneakernet+hit+08+05+09

"the new model would probably not feature a hard drive, but could add Ethernet and DNLA compliancy. "

Jay
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 13, 2009, 02:34:50 AM
Reply #1

dextertech

that is really good news!

thanks for sharing

May 16, 2009, 12:49:31 PM
Reply #2

bobosquishy

This is bad news for people like me who just bought a WDTV and don't want to have to fork out the cash for the next shiny new model.  All I really want is for them to fix the issues with the current model instead of focusing on creating a new iteration.  If western digital screws the current WDTV users over, it will be the last time I ever buy any of their products.
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

May 17, 2009, 03:57:27 AM
Reply #3

Nisei

If western digital screws the current WDTV users over, it will be the last time I ever buy any of their products.
Don't be so naive.
To all developers and manufacturers of electronics: please stop all research and making improvements to your line of products. People will feel screwed if you release a new product.
Duh...  ::)
etx3-boot 0.9.2
Arkview Gigabit ethernet adapter
Qnap TS-119 NAS with NFS share

May 17, 2009, 04:26:17 AM
Reply #4

gsf600y

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much :)
Any product you ever buy, you can almost certainly be sure that the manufacturer is already working on the next version/incarnation of the product.

Buy a PS3, Sony are already working on the PS4.
Buy an Intel processor - they're already working on the next one.
But a Ford Mondeo - they're already test driving the next model.

May 17, 2009, 04:59:48 AM
Reply #5

3dxr

• Global Moderator

usual electronic lifecycle was 12 months last few years is less then 6months or less
WDTV is cheaper then PCH and you saved o lot of many when you have WDTV and you can decide in september when
should be also released PCH2 with announced better IOperfomance and CPU
(this is information is based on Syabas Interview on MPC)

BTW WDTV is nice device silent small and you can then use it like downloader from internet :) and buy next generation of media players
Waitting on new version isnt good choice I am watting 5years on good LCD technology :p probably this or next year
will be OLED out :) PLAZMA is fine but powerkiller and LCd isnt nice  52" LCD I dont like LCD TV quality now

When will be WDTV with native ethenrnet support and net-radio support out I dont need more for example
I had at home Emgeton guru2 Tvix DVICO  ICY-BOX Dreambox and many others china players
WDTV winning with playback quality start time stability (PCH is frozing sometimes but they are releasing often updates)
and ALL MNT have higher power consumption

but what I cannot  forgive to WDTV is missing network and radio listenning in 2008/2009 becouse is powerfull have this feature.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:07:16 AM by 3dxr »

May 17, 2009, 05:34:32 AM
Reply #6

jbs1077

It's fine by me if they want to release the next generation WDTV as long they dont neglect the existing customers who made it possible for them to build the WDTV2 in the first place.  :)

A lot of folks put out a great deal of effort to help report bugs and assisting with ideas for better features. That certainly help WDC to cut a lot of cost on R&D with the generous amount of feedback from its user base. I certainly dont have any use for the rumored added feature on WDTV2 since we can already get them with a hacked FW.

May 17, 2009, 05:43:08 AM
Reply #7

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

I am looking forward to the next version, I will put this current one in the bedroom or in the childrens game / music room..

no hesitation to buy another one here!
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

May 17, 2009, 07:08:57 AM
Reply #8

Avijeet

• Personal Text
    WHY SO SERIOUS ?
Same here
I am delighted by WDTV....
Will buy WDTV2 and put this one somewhere else...

LG PLASMA 50" QP30,
SAMSUNG 29" 100Hz Z40,
WDTV, 500GB PASSPORT, 500GB Free Agent
Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP
Xtreamer
Planning for PS3 lite.

May 17, 2009, 10:06:39 AM
Reply #9

comp56

bring it on...................
BTW does anyone know where I can find cheap 8 track tapes cause I don't want to buy a new player just yet! ::)

May 17, 2009, 12:15:41 PM
Reply #10

bobosquishy

Oh great, fanboys. ::)  Guys, chill.  You don't all have to attack the one guy who doesn't share your love.  WDTV is a nice product but it's also broken on the software end.  Go look at the bug and feature request forums.  If I knew it would have so many problems I never would have bought it, and already WD is talking about another hardware version.  You don't have to agree with me.  I don't demand it.  But at least try and see it from my perspective.  So if all of your WDTV boxes broke in 6 months just in time for the new model, it sounds like at least half of you would shrug it off and happily go buy the new one.  Well, I am not made of money.

May 17, 2009, 02:52:19 PM
Reply #11

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

Oh great, fanboys. ::)  Guys, chill.  You don't all have to attack the one guy who doesn't share your love.  WDTV is a nice product but it's also broken on the software end.  Go look at the bug and feature request forums.  If I knew it would have so many problems I never would have bought it, and already WD is talking about another hardware version.  You don't have to agree with me.  I don't demand it.  But at least try and see it from my perspective.  So if all of your WDTV boxes broke in 6 months just in time for the new model, it sounds like at least half of you would shrug it off and happily go buy the new one.  Well, I am not made of money.

so, having a positive outlook and attitude is the new definition of 'fanboy' is it??

so many problems?? dunno wtf that is about. yes it has some quirks, but no real problems..
I am also not made of money but I do recognize a good deal when I see one, the wdtv is one compared to what else is out there.
shrug it off after 6 months, hell no, I'd go after the warranty  ;D

you're perspective - please explain it to us dumb fanboys..
also list the problems you are having, if it's because you didn't do your homework on it before buying it, that is no fault of WD or us, that's you and you alone.

I am having a few problems but it is due to hacked firmware, I can work around it and live with it's eccentricities easily enough.

me; fanboy, no. happy WDTV owner, yes!
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

May 17, 2009, 04:38:47 PM
Reply #12

bobosquishy

I can already see this is pointless.  You win.

May 17, 2009, 11:23:19 PM
Reply #13

ruddevil

We'd probably see some firmware releases for our current WDTV before WDTV2 would actually see the light. Hopefully the last of our current WDTV firmware would have the feature set as WDTV2 (even if we have to purchase additional USB ethernet or wi-fi adapter to utilize them).

May 18, 2009, 04:31:25 AM
Reply #14

larry sellers

If you are worried about support for the 1st generation WDTV, petition Western Digital to release their full firmware w/ all the audio/video modules so that the developers of the unofficial firmware can take over.
Video:
wdtv (hdmi output) -> Sony KV-30HS420
xbox 360 (flash mod, hdmi output) -> Sony KV-30HS420

Audio:
wdtv (toslink output) -> Sony STR-DA3000ES -> Harman Kardon HKTS-18
xbox 360 (toslink output) -> Sony STR-DA3000ES -> Harman Kardon HKTS-18