Author Topic: Western Digital Confirms New WDTV-2  (Read 64452 times)

July 15, 2009, 12:17:50 AM
Reply #45

bobosquishy

I don't see much of a reason to buy a newer version.  It pretty much does what I want now.  I mean, it would be nice to have support for a few more things... like GMC warp points and flv and the ability to copy/delete files, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I've got.  The only reason I would buy a WDTV2 is if it had support for things that the current hardware can't do.
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

August 04, 2009, 11:29:04 PM
Reply #46

phazer

New "WDTV 2" pictures surface.
Now with incorporated LAN and DTS to Stereo Downmix.
It looks very nice. I am waiting forward to seeing this product on the market.

August 05, 2009, 12:23:50 AM
Reply #47

tacitus

Nobody knows for certain that they are going to discontinue the current WDTV immediately yet.  I guess since they didn't add more expensive features like wireless it's likely the new box is a direct replacement, but there is still the possibility that they could reduce the WDTV-1 price to, say, $79 and sell the new one for $129 RRP.

As others have said, if they designed the software correctly, the new device will share as much of the same codebase as possible, so there is reason to hope that updates to the firmware will continue, at least for a while.

Finally, to those insisting on fixes before they ship a new product.  Don't be ridiculous.  Companies only do that when they're trying to defuse a PR disaster of some kind.  From all that I've read about the WDTV, it has been and continues to be a great success.  Yeah, some people have had serious problems, and others will never be happy, but overall the device is obviously one of the better value media players available.

In the end, nobody knows what will happen to the support for the existing WDTV until WD announces it (probably at the same time they formally announce the new model).  I hope they take the route of continuing to sell and support the old model as the low-end device, but we shall see.

August 05, 2009, 12:48:19 AM
Reply #48

3dxr

• Global Moderator

I don't see much of a reason to buy a newer version.  It pretty much does what I want now.  I mean, it would be nice to have support for a few more things... like GMC warp points and flv and the ability to copy/delete files, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I've got.  The only reason I would buy a WDTV2 is if it had support for things that the current hardware can't do.

old model is price oriented - and should be supported min year becouse has many customers ( today life cycle for products is max up to 2years)
reson why buy new model is native network features and imporved hw becouse 1y old model cant be competitor for Oplay or Xstreamer or PCH C200 hw based players which came on market last 2 months(7-8/2009) WDTV2 is only answer on concurent vendors stil is under 140$ only Xstremer is cheaper or old Egreat model  all others are over price limit
I hope WDTV2 will fix biggest disadvantage of WDTV1 model network radio support and native streammming support from PC or DLNA or shares WDTV has limited memory which can confirm modders if they want add everythinig into one FW its not possible becouse WDTV has only 13mb flash memoryavailable for us  this should also fix new hw revission we should wait on new
HW spec.

anyway sigma microcode FOR dts COST space on flash also DTS decoding also need more RAM WDTVv1 has 192mb I think
popcorn A-100 or other Syabas has more much more are you still thinking - upgrade was not required ?

for example WDLXTV have optimized/downsampled some  pictures becouse brad-c needed some space on flash memory
also some features was moved on usb-flash space becouse they are requested and on internal FLASH isnt free space

also there will be more technical  changes but time will answer if new WDTV model is only evolution or revolution ;-p
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:07:15 AM by 3dxr »

August 05, 2009, 09:44:38 AM
Reply #49

tacitus

I get your point, but it depends on where WD wants to position the new device.  If they want to keep it volume low end, then there is little reason for them to cater for the higher-end HD crowd, which is still very much in the minority (except when it comes to being vocal consumers!).

I haven't even bought myself an HD TV yet, but even when I do, the large majority of the media I consume will still be SD and 720p at most.  I have neither the means nor the desire to start buying $30 blu-ray disks or download mult-gigabyte 1080p videos from the Internet.  And if you look at the numbers, the market penetration of blu-ray is still very small.

Thus I think it's likely that WDTV-II will disappoint the high-end consumers, or those looking to take a big step up.  But I suspect it will be a successful product nonetheless.

August 07, 2009, 05:15:10 AM
Reply #50

Ebbi

All I want is HDMI 1.3 with HD-audio passthrough.
Nice to have would be the ability to play ISOs or folder structure with menus.

Besides that, it fits my needs nearly perfectly.

August 07, 2009, 07:38:23 AM
Reply #51

3dxr

• Global Moderator

I get your point, but it depends on where WD wants to position the new device.  If they want to keep it volume low end, then there is little reason for them to cater for the higher-end HD crowd, which is still very much in the minority (except when it comes to being vocal consumers!).

I haven't even bought myself an HD TV yet, but even when I do, the large majority of the media I consume will still be SD and 720p at most.  I have neither the means nor the desire to start buying $30 blu-ray disks or download mult-gigabyte 1080p videos from the Internet.  And if you look at the numbers, the market penetration of blu-ray is still very small.

Thus I think it's likely that WDTV-II will disappoint the high-end consumers, or those looking to take a big step up.  But I suspect it will be a successful product nonetheless.

If you feel like  "high-end consumer" why you are looking on WDTV  buy anything else with high fidelity AV decoder
and  high-end consumers will not buy WDTV PCH or similiar device under 400$

Big bussiness are not doing  high-end consumers becouse they are minority :)
low and mainstream products buying people

Why was WDTV popular becouse was under 100$ why was PCH so popular
becouse was 1th LAN/x264/streamming/etc... products on market with relative good support from Syabas and community

but WDTV is one year old and still popular - smaller and totaly silent (PCH with HDD isnt - only with disabled fan)
why was last eGreat made(total copy of WDTV with ethernet) - becouse they need competitor for WDTV  the popularity answer

off course there is lot of things which should look better - but everything is price (developers licences etc)
WDTV2 will be probably good product we will see when will be out..... (I hope)

PS: I got at home JAMO and JBL speakers and low cost cable and I am not  high-end consumer ;) becouse I am listenning DTS downsampled on stereo and over analog output ;p

I am still waitting on WDTV-2 and new features network better and faster GUI and some surrprises
and new device after one year is good choice users can have still in same price like PCH 2 units not only one :)

August 07, 2009, 10:43:26 AM
Reply #52

chaseincats

why is it that the new device supports DTS but can only downmix it to stereo?

August 07, 2009, 12:10:10 PM
Reply #53

3dxr

• Global Moderator

Nobody know what new device is doing

I am using down-mix to stereo - I never said what new device is doing I dont have it in my hands
and I dont have any deeper information now.

Only my english is poor :(

August 17, 2009, 06:38:32 AM
Reply #54

jonas9000

Nice! Better to work with new firmware and support for audio/video format on WDTV-1. Support are proud of almost getting greece subtitles to work on WDTV1 (who cares ?, 4 people in greece maybe.) when WDTV1 is of sync with audio/subtitles/video in many .mkv files ???

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:27:55 PM by jayallan »

August 22, 2009, 12:30:55 PM
Reply #55

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Here is a new pic.

"The WD TV™ Live HD Media Player from Western Digital has everything you need to play your HD media collection
and the fun stuff you find on the web in brilliant HD 1080p on your big screen HDTV. Because it supports a wide variety
of file types, you can instantly enjoy all your home digital media, regardless of the file format. Plus you get direct access
to a huge selection of video, photos, and music from popular internet sites like YouTube, Flickr, Live 365, and Pandora
(U.S. only) right from the beautifully easy WDTV navigation screen. The WD TV Live HD media player is exceptionally
easy to use so anyone in the family can do it and, because it’s networked, you can easily access media from any
PC in the home."

Specification:
WD TV (TM)
Live Media Player
Features
-Play Full HD 1080p video, music and photos on your HD TV
-Supports widest variety of file formats and devices
-Network capable for easy access to the newest content from PCs, network drives, internet favorites
Kit Contents
-Media Player
-Compact remote with batteries
-Composite AV cable
-Component AV cable
-AC adapter
-Quick Install Guide

Compatibility
HDMI, Full HD (1080p), AAC, MP3, JPEG, USB 2.0, H.264, SimplayHD™, Energy Star®, Dolby Digital, DTS, DLNA, Bonjour, AVCHD, Windows Vista

Media Formats
AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1),
TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1) MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9
JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG
MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist – PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitle – SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI

MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution. MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to
1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation. WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60
or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution. H.264 MP@4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24,
1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output. Compressed RGB JPEG formats only
and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
Single layer TIFF files only. Uncompressed BMP only. Specific details, please refer to the user manual
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:38:59 PM by jayallan »
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

August 22, 2009, 04:37:22 PM
Reply #56

richex

jayallan,

Thanks for the info.
Good news: networking and DTS.
Bad news: no ISO nor VOB support as far as I see in the description.

I may buy this new model next year since I have 2 LCD TV's, depending on firmware support for the previous model.

Ricardo

August 22, 2009, 09:14:29 PM
Reply #57

PCKid

Surprised if vob doesn't work as it works perfectly on WD TV 1. No Dolby True-HD or DTS downmix support though so hardly worth the update. Don't need networking unless it was via a wireless N+ plug.

August 23, 2009, 01:40:42 AM
Reply #58

Ron[NL]

• WDTV Movie Sheet Generator
WDLXTV 0.5.8.1 + Showcase v2 OSD Mod

Philips 40PFL8605H, Sitecom WL-351

Trust HU-5440 USB Hub
WDTV MSG 1.7.0,  TheTvDBv3.0 TVSheetGenerator - rev 5.4.1

August 23, 2009, 03:35:51 AM
Reply #59

richex

PCKid,

Some VOB's dont work in WDTV 1 (though I think it's a small number, and I think it has to do with multiangle stuff).
Even for the ones that work, WD claims it's not officially supported and does not provide tech support for it.
That's what I was referring to.
Hopefully they just missed in the tech specs and now VOB will be officially supported.

Ricardo