Author Topic: Western Digital Confirms New WDTV-2  (Read 64462 times)

June 11, 2009, 07:46:43 AM
Reply #30

GreekMan

The WDTV 2 is already out ....... Wireless ..... powerless ..... cable less.  ;D

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/files/hcc_content/wdtvwide.jpg

LOL!!! It is true! Mine (WDTV version one) is just like this in the photo. It is un-connected, just to "decorate" a shelf. No cables, no power cable and PSU no HDMI no USB, nothing! They are all (plus LAN cable) connected on my  eGreat! WDTV is still waiting a (new) FW that could play in sync Greek Subs to take a place on my second TV (bedroom), but WD support sucks!

June 11, 2009, 09:09:40 AM
Reply #31

taylorw

I'll only be mad if the new model has a DTS decoder because I just spent $300 on a new receiver and cables in order to enable DTS playback! I wouldn't be mad at WD of course but I would kick myself in the ass.
I'm not gonna buy version 2 right away but I have nothing against a company being innovative and improving their products!
Very pleased with the current version... where else can you get a product like this for $99?

June 11, 2009, 12:31:42 PM
Reply #32

Bluesman

I prefer to put things into real context.

Look at the number of firmware updates that have been produced. To me that's a good sign of a company wanting to improve it's product to give as many features and as much flexibility as possible.

Yes we all want the ultimate product that does everything and also does it perfectly every time but it's rare that we find such products. Often, we are given products that in the first release tell us that this is just what we want but just like the washing powder adverts that tell us that the latest version washes whiter than white or the razor that has 2, 3 and then 5 blades to give us the ultimate shave that we were promised with the original versions shows that we have learned to accept being sheep and following the hype that is put in front of us.

For me, the WDTV pretty much does what it says on the box and I'm confident that more firmware updates will improve it further. It will never be perfect and we should accept some limitations in our lust and greed to have this and that problem fixed immediately.

Reading the article about WDTV2 I am surprised that they are not thinking about wireless, which I think will put existing customers off buying a new version unless there are more features than those that seem to be proposed at the moment.

This kind of streaming box is becoming more popular with more vendors jumping on the bandwagon.

Right now though I'd say that the WDTV represents excellent value for money for what it does.

Support does need some improvement, not so much in the time of response, which in my experience has been very good but the knowledge of the people responding. I was told that the WDTV did not support Matroska files, which of course is pretty much MKV, so that was a little worrying, I do have to say.

June 16, 2009, 10:38:24 AM
Reply #33

bz186

Thanks for the info about the WD TV2. It says in the article that it will support almost every file format through the USB connection. Does this mean that the codecs will be played directly from the USB drive and won't be uploaded into the player. It would then be a simple case of loading the codecs directly onto the USB drive?

June 17, 2009, 08:18:42 AM
Reply #34

Scoops

• Personal Text
    Urban Shocker
Thanks for the info about the WD TV2. It says in the article that it will support almost every file format through the USB connection. Does this mean that the codecs will be played directly from the USB drive and won't be uploaded into the player. It would then be a simple case of loading the codecs directly onto the USB drive?

I think you may be (mis)reading too much into that sentence. The article says that besides ethernet, other functionality is likely to stay the same, then talks about reading virtually any format off USB drives and sticks... just like how the current WDTV reads virtually any format off USB drives and sticks.

It's also worth noting that, if the hardware stays essentially the same save the addition of an ethernet chipset, it's entirely possible that WDTV and WDTV-2 could share firmware. Many gadgets, like the PSP and iPhone, work this way. Features not supported by the older hardware are merely unavailable, even though bugfixes and other supported feature updates continue. All the gnashing about screwing over people by releasing a new version is stupid (as well as premature). Every electronics manufacturer ever has done that, and will continue to do it.
fw 1.02.10 | Western Digital MyBook 500GB | Transcend JetFlash V30 4GB | Composite out
Thumbnail help

June 17, 2009, 09:11:51 AM
Reply #35

bobosquishy

It's also worth noting that, if the hardware stays essentially the same save the addition of an ethernet chipset, it's entirely possible that WDTV and WDTV-2 could share firmware.

I've been assuming that at the very least, the wdtv2 would initially be working from the same codebase as the wdtv with the exception that the original wdtv essentially is a learning experience where WD has sorted out the demands of the userbase and shaken out most of the major bugs/flaws.  It makes sense not to start coding all over from scratch.  But of course that is no guarantee that the devices will be using the same firmware releases.  I would not be surprised to find that yet another company has deliberately left features out of a product - knowing that the hardware/platform/whatever can support these features - just so that they have another reason to sell a newer/alternative/more expensive version.
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

June 17, 2009, 09:54:15 AM
Reply #36

bz186

Since the player reads the codecs off the USB drive and USB drives can have large memories, there is essentially no limit to the amount of codecs the player can support. Would this be correct? It probably would then an issue of licensing fees.

June 17, 2009, 10:05:26 AM
Reply #37

bobosquishy

No, you are confused.  WDTV does not work that way.  The the codecs needed to decode and play back video and audio are stored and read from inside the WDTV, not from USB.
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

June 17, 2009, 11:18:55 AM
Reply #38

Scoops

• Personal Text
    Urban Shocker
The idea of making the user get codecs and store them on a USB drive is sort of opposite to the whole ease-of-use, plug-and-play philosophy of the WDTV. I can't imagine they'd do that to the WDTV2. As has been said, I think you're misreading the article.

Also: You'd have to get special codecs for the WDTV processor and system. It's not like you could just install CCCP on a thumbdrive and go to town.
fw 1.02.10 | Western Digital MyBook 500GB | Transcend JetFlash V30 4GB | Composite out
Thumbnail help

June 17, 2009, 12:42:50 PM
Reply #39

bz186

Thanks. I am now understanding how the codecs are read now by the WDTV.

June 20, 2009, 05:17:01 AM
Reply #40

rlarson_mn

For my two cents worth I think WD totally missed judged the success of their this little box not only in the US but world wide. I also think the engineers that designed the boxs features for future upgrading were right on. I have had my box for just over 2 months and have already done 3 upgrades to it with absolutely no issues. I hope that the upgraded WDTV2 have many new and interesting hardware and software features that will just WOW WDs customers and would be the first to get in line to get it. My current model would fit just perfect on my wifes HDTV in her sewing/den room.

June 28, 2009, 07:35:14 AM
Reply #41

RaggedDog

Search Button? Woddat? :o

It would be great if someone wrote up a concise and authoritative way of getting NFS shares working. Or if WD themselves released a FW and guide.
I would also like info on the structure of the Sqlite database they use .. I'm trying to write an App for the PC
that reads the files and "plays" about with them.
But first I have to learn ruby or PERL then SQL then SQLITE then write the app.  

BZ186 the codecs that the wd can play are pretty much determined by the CPU/CHIP (sigma em 8679) inside the machine. If that chip cant play the codec then no amount of coding is going to help (mostly) .. disks or no disks. This chip is not like your intel CPU and is designed with one function in mind .. media playback .. with an emPHASIS on video playback
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:40:38 AM by RaggedDog »

June 28, 2009, 09:09:48 AM
Reply #42

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Hi,

offtopic to the main thread, but since you brought it up:

I would also like info on the structure of the Sqlite database they use .. I'm trying to write an App for the PC
that reads the files and "plays" about with them.
But first I have to learn ruby or PERL then SQL then SQLITE then write the app.  

the structure is not that hard to understand, you can simply take a look at the SQLite files directly with http://sqliteadmin.orbmu2k.de/ and browse through them. They contain mainly the extracted meta data and path, nothing fancy.

For the things you want to do I'd recommend Ruby, not because of the language but because IMHO the documentation for SQLite in Ruby is a lot better than for SQLite in Perl.

ciao,
elm

July 03, 2009, 06:39:42 PM
Reply #43

Whoheart

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much :)
Any product you ever buy, you can almost certainly be sure that the manufacturer is already working on the next version/incarnation of the product.

Buy a PS3, Sony are already working on the PS4.
Buy an Intel processor - they're already working on the next one.
But a Ford Mondeo - they're already test driving the next model.

Just because they are all greedy doesn't mean its right.
There are things to fix now, before they abandon this thing on their quest for more money.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

July 14, 2009, 06:15:27 PM
Reply #44

METDeath

Personally, I figured out they were going to have a second box. Just from seeing admin postings about "the current hardware does not support this feature", but said request is on the "planned" list. Stuff like the decode DTS to Stereo.

I think they just picked a processor that would handle what they thought was basic media playback. They then found out that they needed more power than what they picked. So I think they're going to seriously over engineer the next one. (I just hope they don't cater to all the lazy bastards that want "Solitaire" or "Tetris" on the units.)

To those that just bought your WDTV and are pissed about the new one coming out, just return it or eat the cost.

I've had mine for a few months now, and it's been a real life saver on work trips, I don't have to sit in front of my laptop screen in a potentially uncomfortable chair.

Will I buy the new one? Probably, I'll wait and see if they add more features or a far better processor.
FW ver 1.02.10 Prerelease - Composite Video