Author Topic: WDTV Live AND Live Plus HDMI issues with Panasonic TV  (Read 4105 times)

September 13, 2010, 10:35:36 PM
Read 4105 times

Globespy

I spent best part of an hour ont he phone with Panasonic and came to the conclusion that the WDTV has issues with my 32" LCD Panasonic Viera.
I have both a WDTV Live and a new WDTV Live Plus which I bought to use in my bedroom on my Panasonic.
When connected via HDMI the video plays fine but the sound is constantly choppy.  When I try both the Live and the Live Plus on my Samsung Plasma in the living room, everything is fine.
I have an xbox360 connected via HDMI to my Panasonic with no such issues so it's not the TV, it's not the HDMI cable it's absolutely the WDTV - the fact I have two of them and can replicate the same issue only on my Panasonic TV makes me certain it's the WDTV.

The only workaround was to use the component/composite cables and set the WDTV Live video output to 'component' and the audio output to 'stereo'.  Of course it doesn't look as sharp as the HDMI, and the sound is no where near as nice (especially as I am running blue ray DTS material).

I read somewhere else that others were having similar issues with certain brands of TV.  But Panasonic is hardly a 'no-name' or obscure brand!!
Come on Western Digital!  Get your stuff together!!!
This thing needs a firmware update.

September 14, 2010, 03:38:20 AM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Check this out
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=7242.0
it may help.

Other than that, the newest Beta release for the Live Plus has this HDMI issue fixed and the next Beta release for the Live should also have it fixed.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

September 14, 2010, 09:04:41 AM
Reply #2

Globespy

50hz is for European PAL signals, but I will try setting it to 720 60hz to see if that makes any difference on my TV.
Other than that I will upgrade to the beta firmware, do you have a quick link on how to do this as I have only ever performed network official updates.

September 14, 2010, 09:23:09 AM
Reply #3

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Indeed, if you are in North America you should use 60 Hz

Here is a link to the Beta Firmware
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=7206.0
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

September 14, 2010, 12:45:12 PM
Reply #4

Globespy

Changing to HDMI (720p 60Hz) made no difference....trying the firmware fix.

September 14, 2010, 01:23:05 PM
Reply #5

Globespy

The firmware did not fix the audio issue.
I should note that I forgot to include that my panasonic tv has an option to output all audio via optical audio cable, and I have a soundbar/woofer system that I use.
As noted before, the xbox 360 has no sound issues when running via HDMI (the same cable in fact was used in my tests), just the WDTV - basically I am ruling out any potential issues with the soundbar!

I started to play around with settings, and decided to select HDMI>1080/60hz/ and then chose yrpbr option for colors.  The resolution changed and the sound issue resolved, HOWEVER when the resolution popped up it was a mess of colors that made viewing impossible. I waited 5-10 seconds and the TV screen went black before popping up with the video image!  Sound is resolved.

This WDTV box is seriously buggy, but only it seems when connected to the panasonic.
I 'hope' that maybe the gremlins have left the box, but I don't have confidence that if I power cycle the device it will stay resolved! 
I guess I will keep repeating this strange method until a decent firmware is released that identifies problems with some TV's.

September 14, 2010, 07:06:36 PM
Reply #6

perfectdark

I have 3 WDTV Live boxes and they all run 110%

I have main TV as Panasonic Vierra and no issues with HDMI connected to WDTV Live
Samsung no issues and Dynex no issues
So i'm not sure what your issue is, have you tried a different HDMI cable, different HDMI input on your TV etc? Because i have no issues with my panasonic.

September 15, 2010, 10:01:53 AM
Reply #7

Globespy

I will try another HDMI cable to see if that makes any difference, however I think you might just be 'lucky' ass there are quite a lot of documented reports of WDTV not working with certain types of TV's including Panasonic (also echoed by Panasonic tech support who tried to help me for an hour the other day).

Thanks.

September 01, 2014, 07:01:29 PM
Reply #8

Brooke6

FreeBSD provides support for PCI-based TV cards. Not sure what it all means though, my concern is usually to get the best tv brands out there and Panasonic definitely is in that list.