Author Topic: WDTV LIVE PLUS New Beta FIRMWARE update v1.03.39  (Read 49157 times)

September 14, 2010, 03:31:12 AM
Reply #15

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Tx Guy for your continued effort.  No doubt you will overcome those HDMI issues.  Looking forward to the next FW release.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

September 15, 2010, 10:04:35 AM
Reply #16

GuyWD

We've got a Live version of this firmware, but we're holding off on releasing it because it still has some HDMI issues. Believe me, we want you guys to have the best experience possible.

trust me, I'm not trying to attack you guys or dismiss your effort in any way. I do, and continue to appreciate the effort you put in and your continued support on this forum. I do however find it very surprising and disappointing that somehow a company with as many resources as WD can't hire a single additional engineer to bust out a few fixes. As a software engineer myself, I know there are certain issues that aren't easy fixes, but I've rarely found that it takes this long for an incremental fix. Is there some inherent problem with the firmware that prevents things from working correctly? I know this is asking a lot, but is it possible to take some open source software and build off that instead?

I really just wanna help you guys out. I like my WD TV Live. I want you guys to keep releasing updates and succeed. I'm about to buy another 2 WD TV Lives for my family, so I'm banking on impressive things coming out of WD.

The problem (as far as I understand) is that the new features (and some bugfixes) in the last few firmware revs required a new SDK, which had significant changes to the HDMI stack. Because HDMI handshaking is complex (and a lot of TVs don't quite report the correct data in their EDID), changing anything in the HDMI stack causes numerous compatibility problems. Even better, each attempted fix has a high probability of breaking something else. It's getting better every day, though. Hopefully we will have something releasable soon.

September 15, 2010, 04:44:34 PM
Reply #17

schnoid

Thanks Guy  :)  That's probably the most honest and useful answer I've gotten from any company, for any piece of electronics I've ever owned. Makes me feel a lot better about purchasing a few more for family. I know you're not going to make any huge glowing promises, but any chance you could give us an insight about future changes to the UI? I'm sure you recognize the fact that WD TV is waaaay behind the curve in the UI arena. Though I do love my WD TV Live for what it does, XBMC and Boxee are clearly way more impressive visually. Is there a reason you guys haven't put any resources into this issue?

Thanks again! Shana tova!  :)

September 18, 2010, 07:07:54 AM
Reply #18

Whoheart

Thanks for the reply Guy, that's what we need :)

My TV is one of those who seem to speak a dialect the WDTV Live has a problem understanding. Seems silly a standard isn't really a standard after all, but that's humans for you.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

September 25, 2010, 11:13:16 AM
Reply #19

harry_fine

I'm a bit confused.  There seems to be a beta of 1.03.39, and also a beta of 1.03.40.

If we are going to install a beta, any reason we should not install the newer one?

Thanks

Harry Fine

September 25, 2010, 07:43:16 PM
Reply #20

Topdog

September 26, 2010, 02:12:17 AM
Reply #21

RavRob

• DeSpammer

1.03.39 is for WDTV Live Plus
1.03.40 is for WDTV Live
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

September 27, 2010, 10:16:12 PM
Reply #22

schnoid

Hey Guy,

Hate to be the annoying person around here, but it's been another couple weeks since the last time you gave an update. Could you please give us another? Did you guys find the fix for the HDMI issues you were having? I'm personally not affected by this issue, but I'm just hoping you're done looking into it because it really seems to be holding up some serious development. Do  you guys have any developers working on a new interface? Any chance you'll make the beta firmware official in the coming days/weeks? Please keep us up to date. Thanks.

September 30, 2010, 02:47:34 PM
Reply #23

GuyWD

We're currently testing a major rewrite of the HDMI handshaking logic. I have no timeline for a release. It depends on how well testing goes.

September 30, 2010, 04:34:01 PM
Reply #24

schnoid

We're currently testing a major rewrite of the HDMI handshaking logic. I have no timeline for a release. It depends on how well testing goes.

very good news, thanks for keeping us in the loop. Like I said, I personally had no HDMI issues, but I'm sure plenty of people on these forums will happily help with testing to speed the process along. We seem to have a very competent community here that will likely help a great deal.

October 04, 2010, 01:28:56 PM
Reply #25

surfish

Hi All,

I am new to this forum.
Recently I have connected my WDTV Live plus to the network and it asked me about firmware update 1.02.21. I have accepted it.

Since then I am unable to either rollback or upgrade the firmware. I have downloaded the limited beta firmware 1.03.39, pasted all the three files  in thumb drive(root). Usually when I switch on the device it should ask for a firmware upgrade. This is missing also manually if I would like to update as instructed:
1. Extract the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF files) to the root (top level) of a portable USB drive. <<<< done
2. Connect the USB drive to the WD TV Live Plus Media Player's USB port. <<<< done
3. Press HOME, and then select the Settings bar. <<<< done
4. Select the firmware upgrade icon, and then press ENTER. >>>> here i dont find manual upgrade button it only says "internet upgrade"

is anyone facing the same issue? Kindly help me here..

Thank you

Hi,

Try to put the .zip file to the root (i.e. don't extract).
It solved the problem for me.

October 11, 2010, 04:23:29 PM
Reply #26

schnoid

It's been about a week and a half since the last time I asked... so u know what that means! Got any updates? Any magical surprises before boxee box comes out next month?

October 12, 2010, 05:25:06 PM
Reply #27

palom0

WDTV Live Plus freezes

I just bought a WDTV Live Plus. I found that after scanning my movies in the hard drive if would freeze, so I updated it to FW v1.03.39, to no avail. It still freezes. Can anyone help me out?

I have a WD My World 4TB hooked up to my network as a NAS. This NAS has 400+ ISO movie files with their corresponding same-name JPG cover files (they're 200Kb files). So it shows the covers twice (one for the JPEG, another for the ISOs).
The WDTV Live is connected to the switch via Ethernet.

If I browse the video files in "list mode" the WDTV Live Plus works fine, it finds and plays all the movie files with no problems. However, if I use it in "Thumbnail mode"-which I prefer- after browsing through about 50% of the JPEG and ISO files  to create the thumbnails, the WDTV freezes completely. The only way to restart it is unplugging it.

Any ideas about what could be happening?

I had the same issue with the WDTV Live, which worked fine with FW v1.01.24. But started doing the same thing with FW v1.02.21. Same with all subsequent beta releases. WD could not fix the issue even after 6 months of waiting.

October 18, 2010, 06:48:53 PM
Reply #28

LagartoJuancho

Hi, I just got a new 2nd Generation and it can play a high def avi file.
However it can not play an mkv file.
I am not a full technical guy, at least not in this area...
I have many files and some play but others not..
What do yu look for when a file does not play so I can start the process of trial and error..
Not that I enjoy since all I wanted was to watch my high def movies from an external hard drive
I have a USB Powered External drive. Would this be an issue?
I could upload the files or the mediainfo but I think it is not an option here.
All I wanted was plug and play just they way my friends told me..
Thanks,

October 19, 2010, 03:12:59 AM
Reply #29

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Not sure about G2 as I don't own one but one thing that caused similar problems for the live was a header compression on the MKV.  Run Media Info on the file and see if it was created with MKVMerge 4.1 or newer.  If so, try and remux it with either an older version of MKVMerge or if you try with a newer version then turn header compression off in audio and video and remux.  That should/may fix it.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router