Author Topic: WDTV LIVE PLUS New Beta FIRMWARE update v1.03.39  (Read 49052 times)

September 09, 2010, 11:13:17 AM
Read 49052 times

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

From WD:

Limited Public Beta Release  (updated 9/9/2010)

We're pleased to offer limited public beta release product updates to make your viewing experience better than ever. Updating your media player is simple. Just follow the instructions below, grab your remote and enjoy the show!

This is a limited public beta release version of the firmware. Feel free to install it, but be aware this is beta firmware we are still testing so use it at your own risk. If you are not comfortable with this, please wait for the final version. If after installation you are unhappy with your beta firmware and wish to roll back your device to its previous settings and firmware

It can be downloaded HERE:  http://www.wdc.com/wdtvliveplus_limitedpublicbetarelease/

What's in this update?

Beta v1.03.39

Resolved issues:

* Resolved Netflix random reboot issue.
    * Resolved Netflix frame rate issue.
    * Resolved MKV AAC on-the-fly mode switching.
    * Resolved MKV playback issues relating to mkvmerge.
    * Resolved MP4 problems with seeking and audio stopping.
    * Resolved MP4 poor frame-rate and audio out of sync.
    * Resolved sub+idx subtitle not working for supported subtitles.
    * Resolved adjusting idx subtitle position which causes video to lock up.
    * Resolved 12 bit color depth has no effect.
    * Resolved no audio for mpeg video when digital audio is enabled.
    * Resolved component user interface color space.
    * Resolved various user interface translation issues.

How to Install the Product Update:

1. Extract the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF files) to the root (top level) of a portable USB drive.
   2. Connect the USB drive to the WD TV Live Plus Media Player's USB port.
   3. Press HOME, and then select the Settings bar.
   4. Select the firmware upgrade icon, and then press ENTER.
   5. You are prompted to perform the firmware upgrade.
   6. Select OK on the firmware update prompt, and then press ENTER. This will restart the system.
   7. After restarting, the system automatically enters firmware upgrade mode.
   8. Once the update process is completed, the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player will restart again.
   9. Once the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player restarts, the new firmware is automatically loaded and the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player is ready for use.

How to Roll Back to 1.03.29:

Downgrading back to the previous firmware on your WD TV Live Plus is simple. Just download the firmware file from here, and follow the steps below to update:

1. Download firmware file >>
   2. Extract the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF files) to the root (top level) of a portable USB drive.
   3. Connect the USB drive to the WD TV Live Plus Media Player's USB port.
   4. Press HOME, and then select the Settings bar.
   5. Select the firmware upgrade icon, and then press ENTER.
   6. You are prompted to perform the firmware upgrade.
   7. Select OK on the firmware update prompt, and then press ENTER. This will restart the system.
   8. After restarting, the system automatically enters firmware upgrade mode.
   9. Once the update process is completed, the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player will restart again.
  10. Once the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player restarts, the new firmware is automatically loaded and the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player is ready for use.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

September 10, 2010, 07:16:54 AM
Reply #1

schnoid

I know WD doesn't care, but why the heck don't they fix the few issues that were wrong with the WD TV Live beta and make it official already! Seriously, its been like 2 months. How long does it take to fix a few bugs? I'm not even asking for new features anymore, just some basic stuff! If Popbox wasn't such a flop I'd be long gone. Honestly though, with this kind of customer service, they're making me not want to buy WD hard drives in the future.

September 10, 2010, 02:06:11 PM
Reply #2

founderbrn

we've gone 6 months without an official fw update on the live... I don't know if I can back WD any longer for ANY device they put out if they are going to treat us like this...

September 10, 2010, 03:05:22 PM
Reply #3

schnoid

true. I was saying its been at least 2 months since even a beta was released. I was giving them a lot of credit for finally communicating with the community here, but every time I see a glimmer of hope, they manage to remove all confidence in WD all over again. It's just getting out of control. I'm so looking forward to the boxee box coming out. Yes it'll be a little more expensive, but I get the feeling it's going to be well worth it not having to hassle with this nonsense anymore. At least we know boxee software is actively being worked on.

September 11, 2010, 04:56:26 AM
Reply #4

Feedhorn

Hey,

Does this firmware run on the LIVE (not just the LIVE PLUS) ?

I noticed that the version numbering follows on from the LIVE version .35

I could imagine it running just without the PLUS features working.

Anybody tried loading it on a LIVE yet?

FH

September 11, 2010, 05:00:04 AM
Reply #5

RavRob

• DeSpammer

It is not for the live....it is for the plus.  Loading this on the live is a good way to brick your WDTV.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

September 11, 2010, 11:04:03 PM
Reply #6

Lokyi

Normal WDTV Live won't upgrade to this firmware anyway, it doesn't appear in the settings menu. So unless you have a way of forcing it you can't brick it.
Thing that's p!ssing me off now is the the Live Plus gets better MP4 support, but the regular Live doesn't play them properly.

September 12, 2010, 01:48:33 AM
Reply #7

sTu_Deimus

Since the Live and Live Plus are clearly different beasts, perhaps to avoid confusion this beta firmware announcement thread should go in a Live Plus forum rather than Live forum.   :o

September 12, 2010, 03:52:55 PM
Reply #8

kranthi6

Hi All,

I am new to this forum.
Recently I have connected my WDTV Live plus to the network and it asked me about firmware update 1.02.21. I have accepted it.

Since then I am unable to either rollback or upgrade the firmware. I have downloaded the limited beta firmware 1.03.39, pasted all the three files  in thumb drive(root). Usually when I switch on the device it should ask for a firmware upgrade. This is missing also manually if I would like to update as instructed:
1. Extract the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF files) to the root (top level) of a portable USB drive. <<<< done
2. Connect the USB drive to the WD TV Live Plus Media Player's USB port. <<<< done
3. Press HOME, and then select the Settings bar. <<<< done
4. Select the firmware upgrade icon, and then press ENTER. >>>> here i dont find manual upgrade button it only says "internet upgrade"

is anyone facing the same issue? Kindly help me here..

Thank you

September 12, 2010, 05:29:29 PM
Reply #9

Pete_LBV

Sorry kranthi6 I can't help, it detected the drive and jumped straight to the option to upgrade for me. I suggest try a different USB drive?

Before I updated, my WDTV Live Plus was basically unusable - after loading recent MKVs nothing would work unless I did a complete reset (blue wheels of death everywhere). After the update everything is working perfectly, even those MKVs that previously destroyed my system. Great work WD!

September 12, 2010, 06:38:40 PM
Reply #10

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Use a small thumb drive.  Under 1 gig works better.  It should also be formatted to FAT32.  Other than that, you got me.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

September 13, 2010, 03:45:06 PM
Reply #11

GuyWD

We've got a Live version of this firmware, but we're holding off on releasing it because it still has some HDMI issues. Believe me, we want you guys to have the best experience possible.

September 13, 2010, 08:25:27 PM
Reply #12

schnoid

We've got a Live version of this firmware, but we're holding off on releasing it because it still has some HDMI issues. Believe me, we want you guys to have the best experience possible.

trust me, I'm not trying to attack you guys or dismiss your effort in any way. I do, and continue to appreciate the effort you put in and your continued support on this forum. I do however find it very surprising and disappointing that somehow a company with as many resources as WD can't hire a single additional engineer to bust out a few fixes. As a software engineer myself, I know there are certain issues that aren't easy fixes, but I've rarely found that it takes this long for an incremental fix. Is there some inherent problem with the firmware that prevents things from working correctly? I know this is asking a lot, but is it possible to take some open source software and build off that instead?

I really just wanna help you guys out. I like my WD TV Live. I want you guys to keep releasing updates and succeed. I'm about to buy another 2 WD TV Lives for my family, so I'm banking on impressive things coming out of WD.

September 13, 2010, 10:18:27 PM
Reply #13

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

Thanks Guy! Its good to hear from the office HQ :) 

Let me know when its ready and we will post it here.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

September 14, 2010, 03:09:26 AM
Reply #14

gffmac

Good to hear, I recommended the live to a friend and feel a bit guilty that he's having sound issues with newer mkv's when I said it was amazing and played everything!!