Author Topic: Hard drive weirdness  (Read 812 times)

September 07, 2010, 12:14:46 PM
Read 812 times

ak78

I've looked through the forums and found some similar issues, but the resolution seems to be to format the hard drive, which doesnt seem to work for me. I have a 500GB Western Digital hard drive, it was originally partitioned as 2 250GB volumes, one was NTFS and the other WBFS. I was able to play all my movies off the NTFS. I decided to delete the partition and create a single 500GB NTFS volume. After copying my entire MKV library to the disk (a 6 hour ordeal) I was shocked to find out that the hard disk wasn't detected by my WDTVLive Plus box. After spending a couple of hours resetting the WDTV box in various ways, experimenting with disk and permission settings, I finally gave up deleted the partition and created 2 new volumes, one 480GB and the other 20GB, WDTV only showed the smaller 20GB volume. I then deleted both of those volumes and created 2 250GB ones, WDTV shows the 1st volume but not the second. So I have two questions.

1) Why can't WDTV detect the large 500GB volume by itself? I've read that people have 1TB drives connected, so it must be possible. I'm using Windows 7 to set up the partition and to format the drives (using the NTFS default).

2) Is there a way to show both volumes on the WDTV Live Plus box if the disk has to be partitioned? I just see one USB connection and clicking it just shows folders on the first or second volume.

Thanks