Author Topic: HELP - Updating my WDTV Live caused it to break.  (Read 1415 times)

August 21, 2010, 05:50:56 PM
Read 1415 times

7mormons

Hey all.

I've been toying with the idea of updating my WDTV Live lately, so today I thought I would finally give it a shot.

My box was running official firmware (1.02.21), and using this link: http://b-rad.geg0r.de/index.php?dir=wdlxtv-live%2F
I downloaded version "1.02.21_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.2"

I changed the ver file to ver 1.02.30 on a usb pen which I formatted to FAT32 by using the format option built into windows xp.

The files included on the usb pen were the ver and bin files and the custom option one. I put the usb pen into the wdtv live and it told me that new firmware was found. I clicked update and everything started smoothly. I was told that my box was being updated. The progress bar reached 100% and then it rebooted. The initial WD splash screen came up, the the screen went black for a while. After that my TV says there is an error (my tv's gui not the wd's), and that I should check my output signal.

I rebooted and tried again, the same thing happens. The box doesn't recognize the remote either. I have tried both HDMI and standard AV cables. Seeing I can't reach the WD's menu I guess this can't be resolved? Any help would be much appreciated.

August 21, 2010, 06:12:14 PM
Reply #1

Buhric

well with the custom firmware, the WDTV Live takes a bit longer to boot.
And whne you turn it on you the the WD splash screen for a few seconds, then it goes away, and your TV might says "No signal" or something similar for several minutes....

in worst cases it can stay like that for 5 minutes... if after 10 minutes you still do not have any output,
Its possible that in the S00custom-option there was a setting that made the WDTV OSD crash...

try this:
remove all USB devices from the WDTV and network cable
press and hold the reset button on the side of the WDTV Live while its on to reset the settings to default.
release the button after about 10 seconds, let the WDTV boot up....

Then power cycle the WDTV live again...

Let us know how it goes...

August 21, 2010, 10:12:04 PM
Reply #2

7mormons

Thank you very very much!!  ;D :D

It simply took a little longer to boot than normal. After a few reboots it seemed to boot up a lot faster than normal too! Thanks a lot!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Could I ask for some links to some cool things I can do with my box now that it's running custom firmware?

Thank you again!

August 22, 2010, 12:50:42 AM
Reply #3

Buhric

looking in this forum you can find many things you can do...
or take a look at this other forum http://forum.wdlxtv.com/

thers many many things you can do, Moviesheets, plugins, UPnP server, custom On Screen Display (OSD, the main menu)
web interface ... just to name a few

Theres a lot of reading heading your way....

Most important, read all the comments in the S00custom-option file, just edit it with Notpad or any text editing software...
It explain most of the options and features and how to configure them...

August 22, 2010, 01:01:01 PM
Reply #4

7mormons

Thanks for the post.

I've been playing around a bit today. I installed the WDTV LIVE+G2 PsychoTHC OSD MOD successfully, and have made some movie sheets. The problem I am having now, is that videos are not playing. The loading image just sits there for ages. Any ideas?

EDIT: Hmm... A complete reboot seemed to fix the issue.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 01:15:59 PM by 7mormons »