Author Topic: Converting DVDs to MKV  (Read 44347 times)

November 11, 2009, 06:12:26 AM
Reply #30

onneeye

I been using dvdfab since july when I got my wdhdtv box. The problem I have with dvdfab is audio going out of sync on older movies. Newer movies converts to mkh264 acc with no problems. ID4, godzilla, planet of the apes, the crow, tremors 2, etc. are the problem child. I heard they are working on a fix.

DVD Catalyst 3 is another good program for converting but it does not do mkv. All movie converts fine using the wdhdtv profile setting. It converts it to avi divx 5. No sync problems at all. Right now you can get the program for $10 and support is really good. I email the author couple question and responded within the hour.

here is the link
http://www.tools4movies.com/

March 08, 2010, 12:43:26 PM
Reply #31

matthewjheaney

My major concern is to not loose any quality of the DVD Material I already have. So I went through several stages. One thing I must say in advance and I know one can debate: Space is not an issue, my server has currently 4Tbyte put aside for Movies. Also I want to keep as many language tracks as possible as we live here in a multi-lingual environment. And I'm a Mac user :-)

I wrote VOB2MKV for expressly the purpose of storing the TITLE1 track of my DVDs in an MKV file instead of as a set of VOBs, but without having to transcode the data.  (I want to preserve the original MPEG-2 and AC-3 source data, exactly as it exists on the DVD.) 

VOB2MKV is a set of DirectShow filters, so this will only be useful on Windows. 

My usual procedure is:

(1) rip the DVD
(2) extract TITLE1 (I use CloneDVD2 for this, from SlySoft/Elaborate Bytes)
(3) convert the VOB files from TITLE1 to MKV, using VOB2MKV
(4) use robocopy to copy the MKV file onto my portable hard drive
(5) play the MKV file using the WD HD TV Media Player

The VOB2MKV project is hosted here:

http://vob2mkv.codeplex.com/

This is an open-source project, and so all of the sources for the DirectShow filters are available.  If you have any feature requests, create a new discussion (or use the issue tracker) at the VOB2MKV home page, and I'll fold it into the next release.

Regards,
Matt

March 12, 2010, 05:53:01 AM
Reply #32

mufc

Matt why would you go to the trouble of making them in to mkv when the wdtv can play iso files of the dvd. Not trying to be confrontational , just trying to better understand. Are there benefits to mkv
as opposed to iso when only using wdtv ? When making my iso I only save the movie.
Regards
Simon

March 12, 2010, 06:40:30 AM
Reply #33

matthewjheaney

Matt why would you go to the trouble of making them in to mkv when the wdtv can play iso files of the dvd.

I had been using the VOBs directly, or using VOBs converted to TS files, but the seeking performance on the player was horrible, so I went looking for a better container, and MKV seems to be better.

My assumption at the time was that MKV would be better (than either direct VOBs or an ISO containing VOBs), because it has a proper index.  (A VOB file is just a raw byte stream.)  Actually, the MKV file has at least two indexes: one for the clusters (the SeekHead) and another for just the keyframes (the Cues element).  However, I'm not sure that the WDTV player is actually using those indexes -- my hunch is that it's just navigating the clusters directly.

(I do wish someone from the WDTV engineering team would contact me to explain how the WDTV player likes its MKV files cooked -- my desire would be to format them in whatever way is optimal for seeking or simple playback.  For example, I did try using SimpleBlock elements [A3] for the frames, instead of Block elements [A1], but the player crashed and needed to be unplugged in order to reset it.)

I haven't actually tried playing ISO files on the WDTV player.  By ISO do you mean an image of a proper DVD (with VIDEO_TS folder, containing IFO and VOB files, etc)?  What tool are you using to make this?  (I could use either ImgBurn or CloneDVD2, assuming my understanding of what you mean by ISO is correct.)

If the IFO file has a chapters index, maybe the WDTV player can use that, so that would be one benefit of an ISO.  But I haven't tried it.  Maybe this weekend I can make some ISO vs. MKV comparisons, wrt seeking behavior.

Are there benefits to mkv as opposed to iso when only using wdtv ? When making my iso I only save the movie.

What do you mean "only save the movie"?  Do you extract title1 first, then create an ISO image file from that?  (That's exactly what CloneDVD2 does -- but instead of creating an ISO, I create an MKV from those VOBs files that make up title1.)  What tool(s) are you using?

Regards,
Matt

--

March 12, 2010, 07:09:46 AM
Reply #34

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
Can VOB2MKV only do TITLE #1 or can you choose which title?
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

March 12, 2010, 07:15:30 AM
Reply #35

mufc

When ripping the dvd to hd I use DVD Shrink. If that does not work I use DVD Fab. With DVD Shrink I rip straight to ISO keeping only the main movie with DD or DTS sound track. If I have to use DVD Fab I rip the main movie to HD Folders and then use DVD Shrink to delete extra sound tracks etc. then converting to ISO.
Yes ISO is an image of a dvd. In my case it is stripped to main movie only. I could burn the resulting ISO to dvd and play on a dvd player but why bother when WDTV is such a fantastic product.
One thing I will point out though is there is no chapter search as there is with mkv but if you just want to watch the movie then chapter search is not needed.
Even though I use DVD Shrink let me make clear that at no time do I actually shrink the quality of the main movie. If it is bigger than 4.7gb I use the 8.5 option.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:32:06 AM by mufc »

March 12, 2010, 07:25:10 AM
Reply #36

onneeye

Another program I would recommend is the new version of Handbrake .094. Solved all of the audio sync problems. But you need a fast processors ,dou core or better. I been using this for about 3 months and no problems. Converted about 100 movies so far with no issues. I used to be a dvdfab fan but no more.

March 12, 2010, 08:32:07 AM
Reply #37

matthewjheaney

Can VOB2MKV only do TITLE #1 or can you choose which title?

As it stands today, the selection of title is done outside of VOB2MKV.  I use CloneDVD2 (from SlySoft/Elaborate Bytes) for this purpose, to select which track (this creates a DVD image folder containing VOB fles with just that title), and then use VOB2MKV to convert that selection to MKV.

In order for VOB2KV to do track selection itself, a DirectShow splitter of some kind would be required, that allows you to select a specific title from among the IFO/VOB fles in the DVD image folder.  If such a filter already exists, then yes, it would be possble to use the MKVMUX filter (it's part of VOB2MKV) to create the MKV file.  If the filter doesn't exist, I woud have to write it.

(I haven't looked very hard to see if such a filter already exists, but if you find one let me know and I can include an application that uses it in the next release.)

Regards,
Matt

--
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:38:33 AM by matthewjheaney »

March 14, 2010, 06:43:29 PM
Reply #38

jimmy8765

MakeMKV (freeware)

Key features:

- Ignore region restrictions and remove copy protections to read DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

- Preserve all video, audio tracks and chapters  information.

- No additional software is required for conversion or  decryption.

- Fast conversion speed.

- Convert DVDs and Blu-rays to the format of MKV.

Limitations:

- Read Blu-ray discs selectively only, some are, and some are not.

- Output MKV files only.

- Sometimes there are audio and video out of sync issues.

- Without preview window.

- Unable to resize.

April 10, 2011, 07:04:45 PM
Reply #39

niceemily

I have a problem. I want to convert a bunch of my tv show collection dvds to MKV. I have already converted them to separate VOBs with DVDfab 5. The files are, of course, huge. I want to convert them for two reasons. One to save space, and the other so that WDTV can navigate them better. Problem is, every time I convert them the quality is crap. It seems there has to be some way to make a one hour tv show which is 2 gigs on a vob into a 700mb MKV. I want to do this so that there is no massive visual loss in quality. A very slight loss I can understand. Has anyone had really good luck with this? Crunch time is not an issue as I have a spare PC I can dedicate to the project. Also, what about progressive vs interlaced? Should I make the MKVs progressive?

Thanks!

i recommend bigasoft dvd ripper, it can easily rip dvd to MKV, AVI, DivX, Xvid, MP4, H.264, WMV, MOV, FLV,  MPEG-1, MPEG-2, 3GP, 3GPP, VOB, RM, WMA, MP3 with fast speed and great quality.

and you can also set video resolution, bitrate and more with "setting..." function

the windows version at http://www.bigasoft.com/dvd-ripper.html
mac version at http://www.bigasoft.com/dvd-ripper-mac.html