Author Topic: Converting DVDs to MKV  (Read 44436 times)

May 31, 2009, 02:52:15 PM
Reply #15

cbscpe

What I tried to achieve was to have only the main feature with all audio tracks/sub titles and chapter marks. Using thumbnails I can now easily navigate through all my movies and a start the movie with a single button. As far as I know the WDTV does not support the DVD Menues, so what is the advantage of a .ISO image together with the WDTV? What are you doing with the ISO images on the WDTV? In any case, I even wanted to get rid of the menues.

There are indeed several tools to create a decrypted ISO image from DVDs on a Mac. However as many copy protection schemes show, decrypting is not the only thing you have to do to get a movie that really plays well on the WDTV (e.g. Wall-E, Ratatouille, and many more)

May 31, 2009, 11:56:42 PM
Reply #16

cbscpe

Just one more remark. Perhaps in my first post I used the word "stages" in a wrong way. It's not that I go through all 3 stages when converting a DVD to MKV. It is more that I had different ways to convert DVDs to MKVs over the past. So wenn I first started to convert DVD to MKVs I used the process which is named "Stage 1" etc. Now I'm using only the steps described in Stage 3. So a stage is rather refering to a level of my learning process. Currently I'm converting a DVD to MKV using only the steps of "Stage 3". Also regarding the use of a ripper. It does not really matter what you use. When converting DVDs to MKVs without recoding any track (Video and/or Audio), the actual copying of the DVD is the far most slowest step. The rest can be done with a simple script. On MacOSX you could even think about a folder action that starts when the ripping of a DVD has finished and automatically starts the conversion as for all further steps simple CLI tools exist (ffmpeg to correct the time-codes of VOBs concatenated using a Unix Pipe instead of MpegStreamClip, dvdxchap is already a CLI and mkvtoolnix is nothing else than a GUI to the mkvmerge CLI command) . Except for those DVDs that use additional tricks to hide the Main Feature. There you need some more fine tuning by hand.

June 01, 2009, 03:02:45 PM
Reply #17

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Cbscpe,

If you don't care about file sizes and you want the best possible quality, then the answer is to use a program like DVDfab to make the main movie (and its audio and subtitle streams) into one VOB file.  That will maintain the original quality, give you all the streams, and play perfectly on your WDTV. 

Since you won't be transcoding anything it will be super fast process as well.  Probably 15 minutes per movie.  Quality will remain at 100%
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

June 03, 2009, 11:26:32 AM
Reply #18

cbscpe

Yes that is true, however MacTheRipper does the same, it can convert a title to a single VOB. But as far as I know the VOB does not have the language name (if you select a different audio track the WDTV shows "Audio Track 1", "Audio Track 2", etc., with Matroska you can select the language and then WDTV displays "English", "Spanish", "German", "French", so you know what language you have selected) and also you don't have any chapters, with Matroska you can have chapter marks and you can give names to them. For this a VOB needs to be acompanied by an IFO, helas the WDTV does not support them. More the IFO does not even contain a chapter name, just the marks.

June 05, 2009, 05:26:13 PM
Reply #19

Banana Phone

• Personal Text
    Ring! Ring! Ring!
Well, I just got my WDTV yesterday (and I was quite impressed!)

Started to convert some of my DVD's by order of importance... so obviously my Looney Tunes box sets are first :) (what!?  I can't live without my daily dose of Rabbit of Seville!)

Thanks to this board I was up and running in no time flat...

I ripped the individual episodes (chapters) with DVDfab, and then encoded them with Handbrake (gui version) with the "animation" MKV preset.  I have to admit that even without any tweaking or messing around I was very impressed with the results!  Thanks to the enqueue function in the handbrake I went to bed with a bunch of files in queue and woke up to nice converted videos.

Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Banana Phone!!!

July 14, 2009, 06:36:53 AM
Reply #20

bodri

I tried a lot of converting program on win and linux, but the best is http://ogmrip.sourceforge.net/en/index.html.

Easy to use and make mkv with h264 (xvid, divx too) multiple audio channel (ac3 copy, mp3, aac, ogg) and multiple subtitle handling.

July 14, 2009, 10:54:37 AM
Reply #21

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I tried a lot of converting program on win and linux, but the best is http://ogmrip.sourceforge.net/en/index.html.

Easy to use and make mkv with h264 (xvid, divx too) multiple audio channel (ac3 copy, mp3, aac, ogg) and multiple subtitle handling.

Is that for Win or for Linux? 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

July 14, 2009, 11:43:40 AM
Reply #22

Scoops

• Personal Text
    Urban Shocker

Is that for Win or for Linux? 

Linux (and BSD).
fw 1.02.10 | Western Digital MyBook 500GB | Transcend JetFlash V30 4GB | Composite out
Thumbnail help

August 24, 2009, 09:36:05 AM
Reply #23

argho

Cbscpe,

If you don't care about file sizes and you want the best possible quality, then the answer is to use a program like DVDfab to make the main movie (and its audio and subtitle streams) into one VOB file.  That will maintain the original quality, give you all the streams, and play perfectly on your WDTV. 

Since you won't be transcoding anything it will be super fast process as well.  Probably 15 minutes per movie.  Quality will remain at 100%

Just tried MakeMV and it works fine. Very quick.
Is there any advantage in using DVDfab ? Is the VOB file smaller than the mkv file created by MakeMV ?
DVDfab is not freeware. So want to be very sure before paying $50 for it.

Tks for yr help.

August 24, 2009, 10:13:05 AM
Reply #24

juantxorena

Is there any advantage in using DVDfab ? Is the VOB file smaller than the mkv file created by MakeMV ?

I don't know that MakeMV program (I don't know DVDfab neither). If is a dvd ripper, then is like any other dvd ripper out there. They take the VOB files in the DVD file system, put them together and make a single big VOB file. No losses, it's like the original DVD. It may not be the best solution for WDTV, because there will be some things useless to WDTV, like menu information and the like.

A better but more complex solution would be demuxing the streams (video, audio, subtitles, chapter info) and mux them in a container like mkv. No losses, a bit smaller. The tools for doing this are more complex, and definitely not user friendly (they requiere some understanding of the DVD internals and the audio/video terminology). The main tools are DVD decrypter, mmg (for mkv creation), DGindex (for demuxing some things), SubRip or similar (for subtitles), ChapterXtractor (for chapters) and maybe IfoEdit, VobEdit and PgcEdit (pretty advanced DVD tools). All of them are free.

If MakeMV and/or DVDfab convert the video to some other format, then I wouldn't use them. There are only 2 formats that are worth using for modern multimedia players IMHO:

1.- H.264/MPEG4-AVC, using x264 as the encoder, which is the best encoder by far, and is free. 2 passes when targeting a video size, single pass in CRF mode when targeting quality. You can use avisynth to filter the video and get better results (degraining, stabilization, denoising, color equalization, deblocking, etc), but this is something for videophiles and experts only. Tuning the multiple options of x264 can be hard.
2.- In some rare cases, xvid beats x264. Maybe some anime movies or shows have better quality with xvid, or very dark and quiet movies (x264 has a problem with blocking that can be annoying in dark and quiet scenes, for example cities at night with open sky). I never use it, though.

My suggestion is to rip the DVD without converting to anything or spend a couple of weeks understanding the video conversion world, reading manuals and guides and experimenting with short clips. If you convert a movie in a quick and dirty way, you may tolerate the quality loss now, but as you get used to it, the artifacts will be more obvious, and you will need something better. I have ripped and reencoded some DVDs more than 4 times, and my first attempts, when I didn't care about quality too much and I just wanted to have the movie in that moment, and their quality sucks badly. I refuse to watch those badly encoded videos again.

August 24, 2009, 12:33:22 PM
Reply #25

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Cbscpe,

Tks for yr help.

MakeMKV is fine unless you want to compress the video. 

August 24, 2009, 06:31:04 PM
Reply #26

argho

Tks guys.

1 more question - will MakeMV work with copy prtected DVDs ?

I see that DVDfab claims to break DVD protection.

August 28, 2009, 01:00:47 PM
Reply #27

ronaldo9_r9

please follow this guide for making dvd to mkv and upscalling at same time.

http://www.bwtorrents.com/showthread.php?s=594a95a47f52c88659ac2045ba3c9b1e&t=218648

October 11, 2009, 01:27:56 AM
Reply #28

argho

Cbscpe,

If you don't care about file sizes and you want the best possible quality, then the answer is to use a program like DVDfab to make the main movie (and its audio and subtitle streams) into one VOB file.  That will maintain the original quality, give you all the streams, and play perfectly on your WDTV.  

Since you won't be transcoding anything it will be super fast process as well.  Probably 15 minutes per movie.  Quality will remain at 100%

Have been using MakeMKV for ripping DVDs, but have been frustrated by some of the copy protected ones.

So I downloaded and installed DVDFab6.
Chose the VOB passthrough option in DVD to mobile.

Worked fine for some of the DVDs that MakeMKV was not able to handle.
However, there are some DVDs that DVDFab6 also does not seem to be able to handle. Examples :
 - Dark Knight
 - Alvin and The Chipmunks

Is it that the encryption is too strong ?
What can I do to rip it ?

Please help.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:26:06 AM by argho »

November 11, 2009, 03:26:00 AM
Reply #29

stoney

Yes that is true, however MacTheRipper does the same, it can convert a title to a single VOB. But as far as I know the VOB does not have the language name (if you select a different audio track the WDTV shows "Audio Track 1", "Audio Track 2", etc., with Matroska you can select the language and then WDTV displays "English", "Spanish", "German", "French", so you know what language you have selected) and also you don't have any chapters, with Matroska you can have chapter marks and you can give names to them. For this a VOB needs to be acompanied by an IFO, helas the WDTV does not support them.

The names of the languages are shown if you rip your DVDs to an ISO-Container. Chapter-marks don't work there though, I have ripped my 300+ DVDs to ISOs - mostly just the main movie - and await WD for making chapter-jumps possible.