Author Topic: Wireless Networking (via D-Link DWA-140) with WDTV GEN1 for NOOBIES Tutorial  (Read 38497 times)

August 03, 2010, 01:59:31 AM
Read 38497 times

WarezMyGF

I recently purchased a used WDTV Gen1 off craigslist for $40. What a great device, but I got tired of having to transfer new videos to my USB hard drive, and then connecting it to the WDTV. What a waste of time.  ::)  I started researching and discovered that there is a way to mod this device for wireless network support! Basically, stream videos from a computer/NAS to the WDTV over the wireless network. ;D

After 20+ hours of reading... I was still kinda lost. I finally got everything working with xvid, divx and 720P x264 working flawlessly via wireless. I decided to write a step-by-step guide. Props go to tilerone, whom created an amazing guide in August 2009 similar to this but rather out of date now, and slightly different scenario from me. This guide is HEAVILY influenced from his original guide, so please thank him... not me.

Quick Assumptions/Facts:
- You are a noob to the WDTV, but have some computer experience.
- You are using a Windows Operating System (XP/Vista/7).
- You have the D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB Adapter (Any revision, B1 aka Revision 1 or the newest B2 aka Revision 2) (From my hours of research, this adapter is the best/fastest/most compatible/easiest to obtain in US wireless adapter) (Picked mine up for $12 on eBay)
- Using Windows file sharing to share out the videos to the WDTV. (Windows File Sharing = CIFS) (NFS gives the best performance, but I have been using CIFS just fine for up to 720P streams and it is the easiest to setup)

Hardware Needed:
- WDTV GEN1
- D-Link DWA-140 USB WIRELESS N ADAPTER (Any Revision)
- USB Flash Drive (Up to 2GB) (This must ALWAYS be connected to the WDTV, when wanting to use network support)
- Wireless Router (Wireless N recommended)

WARNING!!!
I am NOT responsible for anything crazy that might happen during the process of flashing the firmware. Nothing should go wrong and everything should work accordingly, BUT if it does… then it is possible to flash back to stock firmware by downloading the latest official firmware through WD's official website and then following this guide.

DO NOT AT ANY POINT TURN OFF OR REMOVE ANY USB DEVICE FROM YOUR WDTV UNIT WHILE CARRYING OUT THIS MOD.

Part 1: Flashing the WDTV

1) Reformat the USB flash drive to FAT32.

2) Download and extract to the root of the flash drive B-RAD's latest WDLXTV Firmware

You should now have only these files on the ROOT of your flash drive:

Code: [Select]
Changelog
net.config
net.mounts
README
S00custom-options
screen_saver.png
wdtv.bin
wdtv.ver
welcome_background_bg

3) Download and extract to the ROOT of the flash drive (same place you placed the WDLXTV firmware) keeping only ONE of the .bin files from HERE depending on your DWA-140 revision. If you have revision B1, then copy over "wireless-mod-rt.app.bin". For revision B2 copy over "wireless-mod-rt3070v2.app.bin".

4) You can now delete the following files from the root of the flash drive:

Changelog
README

The ROOT of your flash drive should now look like this:

net.config
net.mounts
RT2870STA.dat
S00custom-options
screen_saver.png
wdtv.bin
wdtv.ver
welcome_background_bg
wireless-mod-rt.app.bin (ONLY if you have revision B1)
wireless-mod-rt3070v2.app.bin (ONLY if you have revision B2)

5) Download and install to you PC 'Notepad++ - Current Version

6) Now open the  'net.config' file on root using Notepad++. Scroll down to Line 37 where it says "# CHANGE VALUE BELOW BASED ON DWA140 REVISION". Change accordingly. Basically, if you have B1 then use "WLAN_LOAD=rt2870sta.ko" and "rt3070sta.ko" for B2.

7) Using Notepad++ again open up the file "RT2870STA.dat".

Just change the following two lines in regards to your personal network. This is for WPA2-PSK AES. Leave Channel field alone as it will automatically detect proper channel.

SSID=ENTER NETWORK NAME HERE
WPAPSK=ENTER NETWORK SECURITY KEY/PASSWORD HERE

Now SAVE the file.

8 ) Download and extract to the ROOT of the flash drive 'samba.app.bin'

Flash drive should now contain:

net.config
net.mounts
RT2870STA.dat
samba.app.bin
S00custom-options
screen_saver.png
wdtv.bin
wdtv.ver
welcome_background_bg
wireless-mod-rt.app.bin (ONLY if you have revision B1)
wireless-mod-rt3070v2.app.bin (ONLY if you have revision B2)

9) Use 'SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE' to remove the flash drive.

10) The last part:
A) Turn off the WDTV unit by disconnecting the power plug.
B) Insert the Wireless adapter in the USB port to the left of the WDTV unit (USB1).
C) Insert the USB flash drive in to the rear of the WDTV unit (USB2).
D) Plug back in the power plug to the WDTV.
E) WAIT. Be patient. There is no need to press the power button on the remote as the unit will automatically turn on.

The WDTV will boot up slowly and do 1 of 2 things.
1) Boot as normal, once booted it will tell you there is an upgrade thus select UPGRADE.

*OR*

2) It will automatically go straight into the upgrade process.

BOTH ARE FINE DO NOT PANIC!

ONCE FIRMWARE IS UPGRADED THE WDTV UNIT WILL NOW REBOOT. :)
THIS WILL BE SLOW... DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING WHILE THIS HAPPENS AS IT MAY TAKE 5 OR MORE MINUTES.
THE WDTV SCREENSAVER WILL APPEAR AND DISAPPEAR... KEEP WAITING.
WAIT.
WAIT.
WAIT.

Shortly after the WDTV should display an IP address. If it states "NO IP" then push the power button on the remote and wait 15 seconds before turning it back on. If you STILL can't get an IP address then try swapping the USB thumb drive with the Wireless adapter and reboot.

NOTE : Rebooting the WDTV unit means unplugging it from the wall and waiting 15 seconds before reconnecting... NOT just pushing the power button on the remote control.

WDTV should now be successfully flashed!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Part 2: Sharing folders on Windows 7, so that the WDTV can access them.

Follow this great GUIDE, but ignore the printer parts.

Part 3: Common Fixes

1. Remote control is sluggish/unresponsive!

Here is the FIX. Scroll down to the section after the changelog where it says "Importantly:" in bold.

It worked perfectly for me!

I hope this guide helps others.

Thanks to:
B-RAD
TILERONE (Format of guide was from him)
Compulsive Liar
Zorander
disco
uKER

Anyone else that was missed!

-WarezMyGF
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:25:44 PM by WarezMyGF »

August 03, 2010, 02:02:21 AM
Reply #1

WarezMyGF

September 08, 2010, 06:30:24 AM
Reply #2

ledan

Any moirror for this file: wireless-mod-rt3070v2.app.bin

September 17, 2010, 07:40:18 PM
Reply #3

WarezMyGF

I have finally finished up the guide and updated all dead links.

I will most likely not return here unless I have problems with my WDTV, or get a Live one day. :c)

Best of luck to all and I hope this guide will be useful for others.

September 19, 2010, 03:00:25 AM
Reply #4

demon_firefox

Awesome tutorial, thanks a lot!
Unfortunatly I still have some questions before I'm going to buy the D-Link WLAN device:

1. The german Amazon has two DWA-140 devices in their inventory. Therefore I'm not sure which one I should pick:
   http://www.amazon.de/D-Link-DWA-140-Wireless-N-USB-Stick/dp/tech-data/B000PE8ONG
   http://www.amazon.de/D-Link-DWA-140-Wireless-N-Stick-Mbit/dp/tech-data/B000RZGJMQ
   1.1 Does the DWA-140 work with other WLAN-Routers?
2. Since the WDTV has just two USB-Ports it would be nice to know if I can connect the usb stick with the firmware and the wlan stick via a usb hub to one usb port of the WDTV.
3. Is the WDLXTV compatible with Optware, Webserver and Webserver Addons?
   3.1 What are the differences of "Webserver" and "Webserver Addons"? Do I need both packages?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards,
Demon_firefox

October 19, 2010, 08:38:16 PM
Reply #5

WarezMyGF

Awesome tutorial, thanks a lot!
Unfortunatly I still have some questions before I'm going to buy the D-Link WLAN device:

1. The german Amazon has two DWA-140 devices in their inventory. Therefore I'm not sure which one I should pick:
   http://www.amazon.de/D-Link-DWA-140-Wireless-N-USB-Stick/dp/tech-data/B000PE8ONG
   http://www.amazon.de/D-Link-DWA-140-Wireless-N-Stick-Mbit/dp/tech-data/B000RZGJMQ
   1.1 Does the DWA-140 work with other WLAN-Routers?
2. Since the WDTV has just two USB-Ports it would be nice to know if I can connect the usb stick with the firmware and the wlan stick via a usb hub to one usb port of the WDTV.
3. Is the WDLXTV compatible with Optware, Webserver and Webserver Addons?
   3.1 What are the differences of "Webserver" and "Webserver Addons"? Do I need both packages?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards,
Demon_firefox

Sorry for the late reply! To answer your questions.

1. Any DWA-140 is fine, I would just get the cheapest. I have the first revision and it works like a champ.
2. A USB hub will work fine.
3. I am not sure about these addons as I don't use them.

Good luck!

November 15, 2010, 10:37:38 AM
Reply #6

d_redkin

Dear sir !

May i kindly ask you to make the image of yours boot flash downloadable? In fact i have done all the staff in the way you told in yours post, but i still cant get the ip. My equipement is : DWA-140 rev 1, unsafe WI-FI with no encription (selection by MAC )

Thanks in advance.

Sorry my poor English

November 17, 2010, 02:50:34 AM
Reply #7

xwishmasterx

d_redkin>>

I think I got mine working by seeting the wirelessmode to 0 ("WirelessMode=0") in RT2870STA.dat

January 04, 2011, 05:55:48 AM
Reply #8

Teleport

Anyone in the UK.

I've just bought an Edimax unit (EW-7711UAN) from ebuyer an £12.99 and got it working with the WDTV.
Is has the same chipset at the D-Link so uses the RT2879STA.dat driver.

January 06, 2011, 12:16:20 PM
Reply #9

Skiguitje

Hi there!

So i've managed to set it all up and it is working. Only the movies I play from the shared folder have a really slow playback on the wdtv... How can I improve the streaming speed?

Many thank in advance for awnsering..

January 26, 2012, 06:09:49 AM
Reply #10

Zemanel

Hi

I cant download the 'samba.app.bin'. someone know another link to do it?

thnx

February 04, 2012, 05:31:30 AM
Reply #11

uKER

Thanks for this great guide.
I haven't been able to make this work yet, but here's some stuff that could help improve this guide:

On step 3, it should read "Download and extract to the ROOT of the flash drive (same place you placed the WDLXTV firmware) keeping only ONE of the .bin files". The current text makes it seem like you should only extract the .bin file.

On step 8, the link is dead, and could be changed to this: https://rapidshare.com/files/222297336/samba.app.bin-0.2.zip

On step 10, it should make mention of the possibility that you already have the latest version of WDLXTV flashed into the device, which will cause the player to not find updated firmware. Then it should explain or link to the steps to force a flash (ie, edit wdtvlive.ver).

On part 2, the URL in the link to the sharing guide has a quotation mark at the end which causes it to lead to a 404 error.

Then, it is not mentioned is whether the flashing is somehow used to incorporate the config into the device, or it's there just to ensure WDLXTV is installed on the player. Most importantly, what steps are necessary to tweak the config. Say, if you needed to change or remove the Wi-Fi password, does one have to reflash?

Well, thanks again for the guide.
Will report back when I get this working.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:48:04 AM by uKER »

March 07, 2012, 09:32:20 AM
Reply #12

wadb

Hi!
Step 3 says:
"3) Download and extract to the ROOT of the flash drive (same place you placed the WDLXTV firmware) ONE of the .bin files from HERE depending on your DWA-140 revision. If you have revision B1, then copy over "wireless-mod-rt.app.bin". For revision B2 copy over "wireless-mod-rt3070v2.app.bin"."
...But link is broken, I need .DAT files, do you have another link? Thank you so much.

March 10, 2012, 02:38:55 AM
Reply #13

xwishmasterx

I just tried uploading some files, never tried before so let me know if download isn't working :)

https://rapidshare.com/files/21062746/DWA-140-bin-dat.rar

(Included the 'wireless-mod-rt3070v2.app.bin' and 'RT2870STA.dat' files)

I have used these with my DWA-140 dongle and it worked perfectly)

March 21, 2012, 04:30:29 AM
Reply #14

wadb

Thank you so much! Yesterday finally I did it. Was no difficult with a well configured .dat file.  ;D