Author Topic: MKV and Media Server  (Read 987 times)

July 29, 2010, 09:29:03 PM
Read 987 times

ccoltmanm

I can only see and play my MKV video files through the "network shares" pathway and not through the "media servers" pathway.

Why is this? Do I have to convert all my MKV's if I want them to show up and play in the media servers path? I'm looking for simplicity and don't want to be going through different menus to play files. I like dumping them in the video's library and pulling it up.

Also, for 720p videos, how do i know when it has successfully cached enough of the movie to play without stuttering? I have it through ethernet to the router, but the computer is in a different room and is connected to the router via wifi. I played a whole 720p movie the other day, but let it stay paused for 20 min or so.

July 30, 2010, 03:20:32 PM
Reply #1

KAD

• WDLXTV Eye Candy OSD

your mkv is not available via media servers because your server does not support mkv, your options are convert the files or get a different media server, there are free servers available that support mkv

as for the stuttering, you likely will not have such problems with a server, the most common reason for stuttering over network shares is that the bitrate is too high for normal windows samba protocol sharing

KAD

July 30, 2010, 09:45:48 PM
Reply #2

ccoltmanm

Can you give me an example of another server? Or one that you recommend?

July 31, 2010, 06:21:40 PM
Reply #3

KAD

• WDLXTV Eye Candy OSD
I personally don't need a media server at the moment, but some time ago I bookmarked this

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux

the only I've tested is playon and at that only for streaming media from internet not files on local drives, I've heard playon is not good for local HD media

KAD