Author Topic: anyone making a Custom Firmware with DTS Decoding ?  (Read 4602 times)

March 30, 2009, 08:04:19 AM
Read 4602 times

sauger

Hi from germany
I would be ask some questions or wishes ...
Many Peoples are waiting a Firmware or Custom Firmware with DTS Decoding . Is anyone making a firmware like this ? Or would anyone make a firmware like this ? Zoranders work is really great could he not integrate in his Custom Firm dts decoding ?it would be great ....
cya

March 30, 2009, 11:53:43 AM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Is this theoretically possible?  It would be a great workaround to any licensing issues if it were possible.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 30, 2009, 12:32:21 PM
Reply #2

3dxr

• Global Moderator

theoretical is everything possible if you will have HW key and will be able sign kernel and microcode

if you need DTS audio track in movie you should to use another solution

• Re-encode audio track to AC-3 You will not listen differencies
  • Remux to MKV/AVI container and add original DTS audio track and append also AC-3 audio track
  • Play on WDTV only with remote controller switch to audio track-2

DTS licence will make WDTV more expensive

March 30, 2009, 01:00:00 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Yes 3dxr,

I have an outboard DTS decoder as well as the tools to convert to AC3.  I was just curious as to whether or not it was possible.  As I understand it, people without any DTS processor cannot get stereo to their TVs or receivers from a DTS track.  It would be a nice feature for the WDTV to decode it on the fly and output stereo to those that need that.  The same way it does that for AC3. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:25:32 PM by jayallan »
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 30, 2009, 06:06:27 PM
Reply #4

Takenover83

Well, I am currently on vacation, and did not load my receiver and speakers up with me. So currently, can not watch any movie that contains DTS audio. But seeing as wireless has been added and support for it was never in the retail kernel, then maybe one day we will see DTS audio down converted by a 3rd party codec. But I am not holding my breath ;)

March 31, 2009, 04:04:26 AM
Reply #5

sauger

DTS decoding on the pc is anoying ... Demux , convert , mux ...thats shit ^^ ...
on the fly in the wdtv would make it comfortable ....hope soon comes a custom firmware with this feature ....

April 01, 2009, 03:07:25 AM
Reply #6

3dxr

• Global Moderator

you have to rip to AC-3 your DVD
or select always RIP with supported tracks
or use right tools or make a script (demux reencode -> mux ) is 3 clicks if you are using CLI tools like
ffmpeg or mencoder or other with profiles - and after you will add your movie to HDD

DTS will be not on WDTV if WD will not pay a licence unofficially will be not also added.
if you really need DTS sound without reencoding use external decoder or 2x time expensive PCH board based product

Its like base car model and tunned car - they look similiar but power is different and PRICE is DIFFERENT.

Or another example - and think about what say Lim form syabas same is also for WD if they will be DTS device will be not under 100$! and you will not buy it ;-)

We asked TL Lim why DVD support is not featured on any of the current NMT players for example. TL Lim replied, "Mainly due to the licensing costs, I know you are fond on having this option but for us it is difficult to overcome the license cost being a small company compared to Sony for instance selling thousands of DVD player models. They pay the license fee for hundred thousands of players while we would pay the same amount for a much lower volume which practically means, the added value for the player will not be in balance with the cost we must charge to consumers.

April 01, 2009, 03:53:56 AM
Reply #7

Rupert_Pupkin

DTS will be not on WDTV if WD will not pay a licence unofficially will be not also added.

What if you play the DTS movie with VLC on the PC and then stream it to WD TV? This way VLC can decode DTS. Would that be possible?